Sometimes a corrupt file in your system can bar the operating system from functioning, resulting in the ‘HP laptop black screen’ issue. In this case, your HP laptop screen goes black but still running or functioning to its core.
Usually, the HP black screen issue occurs post-Windows up-gradation. Let us understand what an HP black screen problem could be:
- Graphic card separation from the motherboard
- Faulty seated RAM
- Dead screen Inverter
- Operating system upgrade
How To Fix HP Laptop Black Screen
Here are the five prominent solutions that have helped our users resolve the issue. You should not have to go through all of them; just follow as per your convenience until it solves your purpose.
- Hard reset your laptop
- Restart the explorer.exe process
- Upgrade your graphics driver
- Disable fast start-up
- Undo recent changes
Hard reset your laptop
It could be the hardware fault that may have caused the HP computer black screen issue. In such cases, try to detach all the hardware connected to your system to see if it resolves your concern. Do the following :
- Turn off your HP laptop or desktop.
- Detach or unplug any hard drive, battery or any peripheral device.
- Long press the power button for at least a minute and then release.
- Now attach the battery into your laptop and plug the charger.
- Reboot your system to see if it fixes the issue.
If you are able to resolve your concern through this, turn off your laptop and attach any peripheral device one-by-one. Also note, that this is the only hack through which you can resolve HP black screen issues without being able to sign in for Windows.
If the aforementioned solution does not solve your purpose, you can try the methods which require you to log into your Windows. Also note, if you have a hard time log in to your Windows, restart your system into safe mode before giving a shot to the other solutions.
Restart the explorer.exe process
At times, due to the exposure of the virus inside your system, the explorer.exe process goes into a deactivation mode leading to the occurrence of HP laptop black screen issue.
Explorer.exe is the Windows program manager or Windows explorer that manages Windows graphical shell that includes the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. If the explorer.exe goes into a deactivation mode, the graphical interface for Windows will disappear. In other words, your desktop screen or taskbar becomes invisible and your HP laptop screen goes black while still running the hardware machine. In such cases, always follow these steps :
- Press Ctrl, Shift and Esc key together to launch Task Manager.
- Click on the Details tab, and scroll down to find the explorer.exe process.
- Click to select explorer.exe and click End task.
- Reboot your system to see if it fixes the HP black screen issue.
In case, one can’t find the explorer.exe in the list, you can follow these steps to initiate the same process on your own :
- Launch Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl, Shift and Esc key together.
- Click the File option to select ‘Run New Task’ from the drop-down menu.
- In this way, a run application would be launched. Now type explorer.exe in the search field and press Enter.
- Click to select explorer.exe and click End task.
Update your Graphics Driver
One of the major causes of the HP laptop black screen issue is the missing or outdated graphics card driver in the system. Always ensure to upgrade your driver if they are not up to date. Search for the latest version of the graphics driver from the HP support to get it installed into your system.
Disable Fast Startup
One of the best ways to fix the HP black screen issue is to disable fast startup on your laptop. Fast startup is a feature enabled in Windows 10, also known as Fast boot in Windows 8, that does not let your computer perform a regular shutdown. Fast Startup bars any new system updates that often require a shutdown, while you may be able to turn on or off your system. If the system will not receive a new upgrade from time to time, it affects the performance of the system, at times leading to the HP laptop black screen on startup mode. To disable Fast Startup feature on your Windows, do the following :
- Press Windows and X keys together to open the quick access menu, and select the Control Panel option.
- Select Power Options from the list and then select ‘Choose what the power buttons do’ on the next page.
- A new window by the name ‘System Setting’ will appear. Click on administrative setting ‘’Change settings that are currently unavailable’’.
- Under the ‘Shut-down settings’, uncheck the option by the name ‘ Turn on fast startup’, and then click the Save changes button.
- Reboot the computer now to introduce the new change and to see if the issue is resolved now or not.
Undo Recent Changes
Always opt for this solution when you have recently upgraded your operating system, and you are facing HP computer black screen issues while the cursor on the screen is still in motion. In such cases go through these steps :
- In the Windows search box, type ‘restore’ and a new window box with the list of options appear.
- Click to choose ‘Create a restore point’ from the list of options.
- Click on the System Protection tab and then select the System Restore button.
- A new window box will appear where it will ask to select about the recent changes made by the system and then click ‘Next’.
- Once the selection is done, click the Finish button to save changes.
- Reboot your computer to see if you’re able to resolve this issue.
HP laptop black screen, also known as HP black screen of death problem could appear on any HP model. Therefore, we compiled a list of modes – as part of reference – where you can see if one of your models falls in this list while facing the HP black screen issue.
|HP Pavilion||HP Pavilion x360||HP Pavilion Desktop||HP Pavilion DV4||HP Pavilion DV6||HP Pavilion DV6000|
|HP Pavilion DV9000||HP Pavilion DV2500||HP Pavilion G Series||HP Pavilion G4||HP Pavilion 2311x||HP Envy|
|HP Envy x360||HP Envy 13||HP Envy 20||HP Envy x360 Touchsmart||HP Notebook||HP G60 Notebook|
|HP G61 Notebook||HP G62 Notebook||HP Elitebook||HP Elitebook 8460p||HP Chromebook||HP Stream|
Moreover, while resolving the HP black screen issue, there are chances that you could lose relevant dates or files stored into your system’s memory. Therefore, it is always recommended to create a backup log into an external storage device or to cloud storage to prevent a complete data loss.
Why is my HP laptop screen is black? Still wondering with this question? We ask you to not worry at all. At error docs, our pool of technical experts will not only help you resolve your concern but also enlighten you with the greatest hack available to eradicate this issue, once and for all. Call us, write to us or chat with our experts anytime, as we thrive to build long-lasting customer support by empowering our users everytime.