Sometimes you’ll find that your HP laptop won’t turn on but its power light flashes or even when it is plugged in, its screen will not start. Your HP laptop may not power on due to culprits like incorrect power supply, screen’s malfunctioning, issues with the hardware, etc. Making changes to the configuration of the device can help but may not always work. So, when your laptop is not turning on, the apt thing to do will be to first know why the issue is being experienced. After knowing the same, you can check the condition of your HP laptop’s battery and test it. Along with that, you can detach any external devices connected to it, restore the settings of the BIOS, boot using a rescue disk, remove the RAM, hard reset the device, etc.
These fixes can excellently work on HP Pavilion Laptops, HP Stream Laptops, HP Envy Laptops, and more.
Should you like to quickly reach a particular section of this post, the following will be needed:
- Why My HP Laptop Won’t Turn On?
- How to Fix “HP Laptop Won’t Turn On” Issue Even When Plugged in?
- Fix 1: Check the Battery of Your HP Laptop
- Fix 2: Disconnect All External Devices from Your Device
- Fix 3: Use Tenorshare Windows Boot Genius
- Fix 4: Restore BIOS Settings to Default
- Fix 5: Check Your Device’s Battery and Power Supply
- Fix 6: Try Replacing CMOS Battery
- Fix 7: Check for Screen Issues When Power Light Flashes
- Fix 8: Take off Every Device Connected to Your Laptop
- Fix 9: Utilize a Rescue Disc for Booting
- Fix 10: Try Booting HP Laptop in Safe Mode
- Fix 11: Remove New Hardware
- Fix 12: Update Your HP Laptop
- Fix 13: Test the Components of Windows 10 HP Laptop
- Fix 14: Update BIOS of Your HP Laptop
- How Do I Troubleshoot an HP Pavilion Laptop that won’t Turn on?
Why My HP Laptop Won’t Turn On?
There can be several reasons why your HP laptop may not be turning on. Even when you press the Power button, the light might blink but your laptop screen might not work. In other situations, the laptop may show a blank screen that may either be blue or black. The causes behind the problem can be learnt by reading more.
- This issue can be caused due to poor battery or external hardware.
- HP laptop screen won’t turn on when the battery is damaged or not in a working condition.
- An external device connected to your device may be generating conflicts.
- There may be problems with your device’s power supply.
- The CMOS battery may not be correctly functioning.
- Any issues relating to the screen of your HP laptop may be causing it to not turn on.
- In case new hardware has been installed, it may be generating problems with the power.
- Your HP laptop may not have been updated.
- In case the components of the laptop are not working, such a problem may arise.
How to Fix “HP Laptop Won’t Turn On” Issue Even When Plugged in?
You can check the battery of your HP laptop, disconnect the external devices connected to it, or hard reset the device. In addition, you can install and run the software as well as restore the default BIOS settings. These actions will aim at eliminating the causes that won’t let your device start.
If your HP laptop screen does not turn on, there are more fixes that you can perform. Moving further, you can know how to execute them to get rid of the issue of the HP laptop power button flashing but won’t turn on.
Fix 1: Check the Battery of Your HP Laptop
By now, you’ll have a fair idea that HP laptops cannot function when the power source fails to correctly work. Therefore, checking the condition of the device’s battery will be an ideal measure as problems with the battery may not help in powering it on. To assist you in checking the same, we have prepared certain tips. Following these tips will let you know the state of your battery’s condition and what you can do to improve it.
- Make sure that the battery of your device isn’t faulty.
- In case damages have been received by the battery, get a new one for replacing it.
- In some situations, you can take out the battery. Then you can use the device’s charger as the power source.
- Those users who have connected the power charger to the device should ensure that its port, as well as the power cable, are not faulty. In case the AC adapter or the cable is at fault, consider repairing it.
- Use a different AC adapter for booting the device.
The HP laptop won’t turn on issue should stop occurring when these tips have been correctly followed.
Fix 2: Disconnect All External Devices from Your Device
In this method, you are supposed to remove the external devices that you have connected to the laptop. These devices can cause the laptop to not turn on due to hardware conflicts. After the devices have been detached, you can power on the device by pressing the button for the same.
To remove the external devices, you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- Make sure that the laptop has been turned off.
- Remove all the external devices connected to your laptop such as your printer, USB drive, docking station, etc.
- Use the “Power” button to turn on your laptop.
- If the problem persists, then you can turn off your laptop.
- Then connect a hardware device.
- Press the “Power” button to turn on your laptop.
- Now, you can update the drivers.
Should you witness an issue like your HP laptop won’t turn on but the light flashes, you can detach the external devices as has been mentioned above.
Fix 3: Use Tenorshare Windows Boot Genius
If your HP stream laptop won’t turn on, then you can use the Tenorshare Windows Boot Genius Software. This is a Windows rescue tool. It comes with a number of functions such as Password & Key Recovery, Windows Rescue, Disk Tools, and Data Recovery. Using this software, you can fix several issues including files disappearing, system crashes, and Windows login password losses.
- Since your HP Envy laptop won’t turn on, you will have to download Windows Boot Genius from the official website with the help of another computer. After it gets downloaded, you can start with the installation on the other computer.
- Once installed, you can run it.
- Prepare a blank DVD/CD/USB and connect it to the laptop.
- Click on the ‘Burn’ button to burn the bootable disk.
- Now, switch to your HP laptop and restart it.
- Press the “F2”/“Delete”/“F10” key immediately.
- Now, enter the “BIOS” setting. Change the setting from the removal drive to boot.
- After saving the details, you can exit.
- Wait for a while until you see the information of “Windows Boot Genius” on your HP laptop.
- Select the “Windows Rescue” option located on the left.
- In the “Solution Center”, select the “Crash” before loading the bar option.
- Follow the instructions given on your screen.
- Exit the “Windows Boot Genius” and remove the connected drive.
- Turn on your laptop at last.
Fix 4: Restore BIOS Settings to Default
In case your HP laptop is unable to boot after the Windows 10 update, sleep mode, or any other unknown reasons then restoring the BIOS settings to default will be the next fix. To restore these settings, you can use the Power key for 5 seconds. Your laptop should start now. Then you can push F10 to reach the page for BIOS Settings. Followed by this, hit F9 and select Yes. After hitting Enter, the settings of BIOS will restore to the default state.
The steps below will enlighten you about restoring the default BIOS settings when the HP laptop won’t turn on even when plugged in.
- Tap and keep holding the “Power” button for at least 5 seconds.
- Turn on your laptop.
- Use the “F10” key instantly and keep pressing it until the “BIOS Settings” page gets displayed on the screen.
- Thereafter, you can press the “F9” key and choose the “Yes” button.
- Press the “Enter” button to recover the BIOS to its default settings.
- You can exit the “BIOS” page and restart the HP laptop.
Fix 5: Check Your Device’s Battery and Power Supply
As several users have reported, their HP laptops won’t turn on even when plugged into the power supply. This situation would demand you to check your device’s battery as well as the power supply. When one of them is faulty, the problem may arise.
Initially, the battery can be taken off from your device. This will be followed by unplugging the laptop. By connecting a different device, you can test the functioning of the outlet. You can try using your HP device without its battery. In case the battery or the outlet is at fault, a new battery can be purchased or the outlet can be repaired/changed.
- Separate the battery from the device.
- Unplug the device.
- Ensure that the outlet has no issues by plugging in another laptop or device.
- Try to start your device without inserting the battery. In case it starts, you can be sure that there are no issues with the power supply.
- Additionally, you can connect AC power to your device.
Note: In case you decide to use the device after excluding its battery, ensure that your laptop is connected to an outlet.
At the end of this procedure, the users will be recommended to ensure that the issue of HP laptop won’t power on has been fixed.
Fix 6: Try Replacing CMOS Battery
Getting the CMOS battery replaced is another helpful way to fix an HP laptop screen that won’t turn on. As you replace it, the settings of BIOS will get stored in the motherboard. While replacing the same, the cables need to be connected in the right manner.
Note: This fix will be highly recommended to those users who have been using their HP laptops for many years or are using them without the main battery.
Fix 7: Check for Screen Issues When Power Light Flashes
Sometimes the power supply to your HP laptop may be correctly functioning. The actual issue may be with the screen. It may be due to this reason that users report their HP laptop won’t turn on but the power light flashes. To check the issues with the screen, you can detach the external devices. Additionally, you can check that the laptop’s fan, brightness button, and LCD panel are not damaged.
The four steps mentioned as follows will help you in ensuring the same:
- Detach the external devices for display like a monitor or projector if not needed.
- In case the sound of the fan or any noise can be heard when the “Power” light is flashing, no image or a faint image may be seen. Replace the inverter of the screen as it may have failed.
- Check that the brightness button isn’t damaged.
- In case your device turns on with no image being displayed, check that the LCD panel has no damages. The screen will have to be fixed or the device can be replaced.
Fix 8: Take off Every Device Connected to Your Laptop
Problems like your laptop won’t turn on in HP can arise when its BIOS is attempting to boot via the storage devices connected to it. These removable devices can be inclusive of DVD, memory card, USB drive, etc. When each of these devices has been detached from your HP laptop, BIOS may not start booting through them. This may help in turning on your HP laptop.
Fix 9: Utilize a Rescue Disc for Booting
Booting your HP laptop can help in getting rid of issues that may cause your device to stay powered off. While it stays turned off, booting it may be possible with a rescue disc. The booting process will settle the problems with Windows OS. Also, if malware or virus is leading to the problem, you can utilize the same disc for running the scanning process. After the process is over, the virus or malware may not reside in your HP laptop. Thus, the device will start.
Fix 10: Try Booting HP Laptop in Safe Mode
In this fix, you will be suggested to boot your laptop in safe mode. Booting in this mode will remove the drivers as well as the programs that have been recently installed. After uninstalling them, your device won’t be affected. In addition, a new account will be made in case the original user account was corrupt. Thus, you may no longer complain that your HP laptop won’t power on.
Fix 11: Remove New Hardware
In case you are experiencing an issue in which your HP laptop screen won’t turn on but has power, new hardware may have been added to it. New hardware such as a RAM kit can create issues with the power. Hence, your HP laptop may not turn on. The booting process will also get affected. You can remove the new hardware. Afterwards, you can reattempt the booting process.
Fix 12: Update Your HP Laptop
When your laptop’s battery is working fine and has no damages as well, you can check whether or not any updates are pending. You can check for the updates that are available for your HP laptop with Windows. If they are, you should make no delay in downloading them. Ensure that the updates get completely installed. This fix will ensure that the same problem doesn’t occur in the future.
Fix 13: Test the Components of Windows 10 HP Laptop
One of the reasons why HP laptops won’t turn on in Windows 10 is a problematic component. As you may know, your laptop can be equipped with multiple components. However, if one or more of these components is carrying any bug, then the device may fail to start. Testing the components is one way to know about these bugs. You can turn off and turn on your HP laptop. Using the Esc and F2 keys, you can go to the menu and locate Component Tests to do the needful.
The remaining directions of this fix have been cited here:
- Ensure that the device has been powered off.
- Start it again and tap “Esc”.
- Continuously press “Esc” till the time a menu appears.
- Tap “F2” when the menu is seen.
- Select “Component Tests”.
- Via the sub-menu, you can know about every component of the device.
- The components have to be tested to ensure that no issues are found with them.
- In case any issues are found, connecting with the support team of HP will be suggested.
Fix 14: Update BIOS of Your HP Laptop
We have been coming across problems in which an HP laptop’s power light is on but it won’t start. Getting the device’s BIOS updated can work around the problem. To get these updates, you can connect your device to power while it is off. Then you can tap on Windows and B keys. Additionally, you have to push the Power key for 1 second. After some time, the updates for your device’s BIOS will begin.
- While your device is off, use your adapter to attach it to a working power source.
- Press the combination of keys given as follows and hold it for some time:
- “Windows” Key + “B” key
- Along with carrying out the second step, the “Power” key has to be pressed for 1 second.
- Stop pressing the keys now.
- The “Power” light should start. For the next 40 seconds, the device’s screen will stay off. Certain sounds may also be produced by it.
- The screen of “HP BIOS Update” should appear and the updates for BIOS will begin.
How Do I Troubleshoot an HP Pavilion Laptop that won’t Turn on?
The users of HP Pavilion laptops can drain the battery of their device and then reinsert it. In addition, they can try removing the RAM or change its position if required. In case this doesn’t help, then performing a hard reset will be the best approach. Issues with the battery, RAM, or power form certain reasons why the HP laptop will not turn on, especially when this particular model is being used. After these fixes have been executed, the problem should stop occurring.
Fix 1: Drain the Battery and Reinsert it
Draining the battery can be helpful for the users of HP Pavilion laptops. This will be helpful when your HP laptop has power but it won’t turn on. You can initially remove the battery, drain the static electricity, and then reinsert the battery back to its original position.
The detailed method for doing so has been outlined in this section.
- Remove your device’s RAM.
- Take off the power adapter along with the battery.
- Turn your device upside-down.
- Push the “Power” key for 5 minutes to drain the static electricity.
- Let your HP Pavilion laptop sit idle for 30 minutes.
- Correctly insert the RAM in its slot.
- Plugin the adapter.
- Now, start your device.
- After turning it on, open the “Control Panel”.
- Select “Power Option”.
- Click on “When I Close the Lid”.
- Choose “Do Nothing” after clicking on the dropdown.
- Press “Ok”.
- Turn off your device.
- Now, place the laptop’s battery back to its position.
Fix 2: Remove RAM or Change its Position
The users of new HP Pavilion laptops can try removing the RAM cover as well as changing its position. During the process, the device can also be booted. Since this measure has shown results in multiple cases, it may work on your device as well. Below, you can find more details about this fix.
- Separate the RAM cover.
- Now, take out the RAM.
- Reinstall the RAM in the third step.
- Start booting your new HP laptop.
- Remove the stick of the RAM in case your device isn’t working.
- Now, boot the device one more time.
- In case the device isn’t working, boot it again.
- At last, you can place the RAM in the other slot in case the device doesn’t turn on even now.
In case your new HP laptop won’t power on even now, you can move to the next measure.
Fix 3: Hard Reset your HP Pavilion Laptop
When your HP Pavilion laptop won’t turn on, you can hard reset it. To do so, your laptop should be off. Then you can remove the external devices connected to it one by one. After plugging out the charger, you have to take out the battery. Push the Power button for half a minute and then attach the adapter. Now, you can start the device using its Power button.
- To begin, make sure that your laptop is turned off.
- If your laptop has any kind of external devices connected, then remove them.
- In the next step, remove the power charger from your laptop and exclude the battery.
- You can use the “Power” button by pressing and holding it for 30 seconds.
- Connect the power adapter.
- Use the “Power” button to turn on the laptop.
- Connect the battery with your laptop.
Note: The problem of HP laptops not turning on can happen on different models of the brand. The fixes listed in this blog can help in settling the problem on a number of HP laptop models. Some of these models are inclusive of HP Stream Laptops, HP Envy Laptops, HP EliteBook 8440P Laptop, HP ProBook, HP G60 Laptop, HP 15 Laptop, and HP NoteBook.
Frequently Asked Questions
This blog has been featured with the most commonly asked questions relating to why HP laptops won’t turn on or power on. Let’s look at these questions one at a time.
Your HP laptop won’t power on or turn on if its battery is poor. Other reasons for the problem can relate to bugs resulting due to the connected external devices, incorrect functioning of the CMOS battery, new hardware installation, and affected laptop components.
Your HP Pavilion laptop’s screen may fail from turning on when its battery is facing any problems. Also, this model of HP laptop will not turn on if the RAM is generating certain issues. You can try removing the battery and reinserting it. Along with that, you can hard reset your device.
You can ensure that your HP Laptop’s battery isn’t faulty. In case it is, your device won’t turn on. You can also check for power supply, resolve any screen issues, use the safe mode for booting your laptop, and update your device along with the BIOS.
All in All
HP laptops can, at times, get affected and refrain from turning on. The issue of HP Stream or HP ProBook won’t turn on is usually seen when the battery isn’t working or the components of the laptop have been damaged. Knowing the reasons leading to the issue is the first step you should take for fixing it. That is why we cited all the common reasons for experiencing such an error. We also identified a multitude of fixes to get away from the problem and fix it for good. We hope this blog served its purpose as per the expectations of our readers.