You can connect Apple TV to your computer and cast all types of media content to enjoy them on the big screen. You can do the other way around also by connecting your Apple computer to any TV. If you have a curiosity about how to connect Apple TV to computer or how to connect Apple computer to TV then this guide will come in handy.
How to Connect Mac Computer to Apple TV?
To connect Apple TV to computer or Mac computer, you can use different types of methods. For instance, an HDMI cable can be used for connecting Apple computer to teTV HDMI, use AirPlay Mirroring, or change Display & Sound settings on Mac in order to successfully connect both the devices with each other.
In this guide, you will understand these methods step by step. Keep reading to find your answers for how to connect computer to Apple TV wireless or with HDMI cable. Let us go through the following methods.
Method 1: How to Connect Computer to Apple TV using a Cable?
To know how to connect Apple TV to computer with a cable, you can use different kinds of video inputs in which HDMI is the most common to use as it provides high-definition quality. For connecting Apple computer to TV HDMI, you can go through the steps mentioned below.
- First of all, you need to find HDMI input on the back or side of the TV. In case your TV does not have an HDMI port then you should buy an adapter based on the video input (that Apple TV uses) and output that your Mac computer uses.
- While determining video output for Mac, these are the following audio and video ports you will find depending on your model.
- Thunderbolt 3: It is an Oval shaped port, also called USB- C. It is found on the latest models of Mac computers. If your computer has this port then you need an HDMI cable to connect Apple TV to your Mac computer.
- Thunderbolt 2: It is a square shape port found on older Mac computers. If your computer has this port then you may need a Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI cable or adapter.
- HDMI: HDMI port also found on older Mac computers. If you have this port on your computer then you just need a standard HDMI cable to connect a computer with an Apple TV.
- Once you are done examining the video output then you can plug one end into your Mac computer.
- After this, you can plug the other end of the HDMI cable into your Apple TV.
- Next to this, you can turn your TV on using the power button.
- It will display the input settings for the TV. You can change it accordingly, for example, choose HDMI input.
- After a while, your Mac computer’s screen will display on your Apple TV.
Now, whenever your computer is on and your TV is connected to it, you can see your computer screen on a TV. So, if you were thinking about how to connect Apple TV to Mac computer, this is the most simple method to use.
Method 2: How to Connect Apple Computer to TV using Apple TV?
Another method requires your Apple TV in order to connect the Mac computer to Apple TV. Then, all you have to do is set up the Apple TV. If you want to learn how to connect the Apple computer using Apple TV then you can look for the following steps.
- To get started, you can set up the Apple TV to use AirPlay Mirroring and connect computer to Apple TV AirPlay.
- Next to this, you need to connect the Mac computer to the same network just as the Apple TV. In other words, your Mac computer and Apple TV must be on the same Wi-Fi network before you mirror the screen of both the devices.
- Now you can turn the Apple TV on using the power button.
- Then, you can press any of the buttons on the Apple TV remote.
- At this point, you can enable AirPlay on the Apple TV. For that, you can go to the TV Settings, select AirPlay, and select Everyone.
- After this, on your Mac computer, you can go to Menu and click on System Preferences located on the top left corner.
- Once the System Preferences window appears, you can go to Displays.
- Then, you can choose the Displays tab located on the top right of the window.
- Here, you can click on the AirPlay Display located on the bottom left.
- When the drop-down option appears, you can click on it and select Apple TV.
- Doing so, you will see screen contents (of Mac computer) on TV.
- You can change the resolution and screen scaling of your TV if it is required.
- Thereafter, you can go to the System Preferences window and click on Sound.
- Once you see the Sound window, you can click on Output and select the device (Apple TV) for sound output. This is how you can easily connect computer to TV using Apple TV.
Method 3: How Can I Connect My Apple TV to My Computer using Display & Sound Settings?
If you are bothered by a question of how can I connect my apple tv to my computer, below are the following steps to get your answer.
- On your Mac computer, go to the Menu (clicking on the Apple logo) located on the top left.
- Here, you can click on the System Preferences option.
- Then, you can click on Displays. This will open a Displays window.
- After this, use the Underscan slider to adjust its value.
- Besides, you can set the resolution for your TV. For that, just click the Scaled option and select 1080p as your resolution.
- Once done, you can go to the Sound option from the System Preference window and go to the Output option.
- As the last step, you can choose the HDMI option.
Whenever you have been asked can you connect Apple TV to computer, tell people you can. These were the easiest ways to connect Apple TV to computer.
There can be many reasons that one wants to connect Apple TV to computer. By using different ideas, you can connect devices such as the cable to connect Apple computer to TV. This especially helps you to browse all the computer content to be on a TV screen.
If you want to know how to connect computer to Apple TV wireless then this guide would have surely helped you. Besides that, you can learn how to connect Apple computer to TV using an HDMI cable or AirPlay Mirroring. By making a small setting in Display & Sound also helps you to connect Apple TV with Mac computer.
We have also covered a detailed guide on how to authorize my computer on iTunes Mac. Read here to know more.