QuickBooks license and product number have an important role as these numbers are required to install and activate the QuickBooks software. To install the software properly, you will first have to find QuickBooks license number so that you can add it to your QuickBooks to activate the software application.
For some users, the process might get difficult. Therefore, we are going to show you easy ways for how to find QuickBooks license number and product number. Let’s read ahead!
In this guide, we will talk about different ways to find QuickBooks license numbers. Also, how you can register the license and product key to activate the QuickBooks services.
- Learn about QuickBooks License and Product Number
- Where to Find License Number in QuickBooks?
- Find QuickBooks License and Product Number in Packaging
- Check Confirmation Email to Find License Number for QuickBooks
- Insert an Installation Disc to Find QuickBooks License Number
- Visit QuickBooks License Web Page to Find the Product Information
- Find QuickBooks License Number in Registry
- How to Use a License Number to Activate QuickBooks?
- How to Update QuickBooks Product and License Number?
Learn about QuickBooks License and Product Number
QuickBooks Desktop license and product number are unique codes. These codes help you to install or reinstall the software properly. Therefore, it is important to note down the product key and license numbers before you install the QuickBooks Desktop. In case these two codes are incorrect then you can change the number in order to re-attempt the process.
If you have no idea how to find license and product number for QuickBooks then don’t worry. Here, in the guide, we have come up with different ways to find the license and product number and then use them to install the software. So, let’s know about the ways to find QuickBooks license number.
Must Read: How to Add an Account to QuickBooks Online?
Where to Find License Number in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks license and product number are essential to install the software and keep the files work, records, and other operations in continuity. Now, if we talk about finding these unique codes then these can be found in different ways.
For instance, you can find QuickBooks license number in registry, QuickBooks packaging, confirmation email, QuickBooks lookup web page, and installation disc. Below we will show how you can find your license in the specified locations.
Find QuickBooks License and Product Number in Packaging
In case you have bought a physical copy of QuickBooks software then you can find the license and product key on the sticker. All you have to do is check the sticker and note down the codes to install or reinstall the QuickBooks software.
Check Confirmation Email to Find License Number for QuickBooks
Those who purchase the QuickBooks software online (from Intuit’s website) also receive the confirmation email on your registered email address. You can check that confirmation email in your inbox. The email contains product information including license number and product number for installing QuickBooks software.
Insert an Installation Disc to Find QuickBooks License Number
If you prefer to reinstall QuickBooks Desktop using a CD then you just have to insert that installation CD into the computer where the QuickBooks Desktop is installed. Then, on your screen, you will have to choose the Reinstall QuickBooks option. This will show you the license and product key on your computer screen.
Visit QuickBooks License Web Page to Find the Product Information
To access the product and license key, you can go to the Intuit License Lookup page and then add your login details such as username and password you can also use QuickBooks automated password reset tool in case you forgot the password . This will display the product and license number on your account.
Find QuickBooks License Number in Registry
A registry is another way through which you can find the product and license key. For that, you can follow the steps instructed below:
- Launch your QuickBooks software on your computer.
- Press the “F2” key on the keyboard.
- When you see the “Product Registration” page, use the “F3” key.
- In the “Tech Help” screen, click on the “Open File” option.
- Then, from the list of files, click on the “QBRegistration.dat” file.
- In case you don’t see the file automatically then click on “Notepad” from the program’s list and hit the “OK” button.
- Now, use the “Ctrl + F” keys to type “License Number” in the box.
- Click on the “Find” button and the text with the license number will be highlighted.
You can now note down this number and use it as code validation to re-register your QuickBooks Desktop.
So these are the different locations to find license number for QuickBooks. Depending on the type of software copy you have purchased, you can find the product or license key. If you purchased the software online then you can find the product information in your emails or the Intuit website.
On the other hand, if you go with the physical copy then you can locate the product key on the sticker of the packaging or insert CD to see the codes.
Since you have learned how to find your QuickBooks license number, you should also know how to use the product and license key to activate your software. Let’s continue reading.
How to Use a License Number to Activate QuickBooks?
To complete the installation process, one has to note down the product and license keys. Once you are ready with the product information, you can carry out the instructions stated below:
- Launch your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Press the “F2” key on the keyboard.
- Then, open the “Product information” window to check the registration status.
This will show you the status: Activated. In case your software application is not activated then you do the following:
- Click on the “OK” tab when the status read “NOT ACTIVATED” and close the window.
- Now click on the “Help” menu.
- Go to the “Activate QuickBooks” option.
- Then, follow the instructions given on your screen.
After verifying the details, you can complete the software activation process. This is how you can find QuickBooks license number on hard drive and add it to activate QuickBooks.
How to Update QuickBooks Product and License Number?
There are users who prefer to change the product and license number in QuickBooks without reinstalling the software. If that is the case, you can easily update the product information.
Now, this can be done in different ways. For instance, you can access the files through QuickBooks, open the file using Windows Explorer, or edit the qbregistration.dat file. Let’s know more in the following discussion.
Note: These steps to change the license or product number can be followed on Windows computers.
Open the File via QuickBooks
- Use the “F2 + F3” keys on your computer. This will bring the “Tech Help” window.
- Now, click on the “QBREGISTRATION.DAT” option.
- Click on the “Open File” option.
- Then, make a backup of your “qbregistration.dat” file.
- Save the file on your computer.
- Now, in the “Tech Help” window, click on the “Open the file” option.
- Now, close your “QuickBooks” software. Though you need to open the “qbregistratio.dat file” somewhere on your computer.
Access the File via Windows Explorer
- Open your QuickBooks common files.
- Then, go to this location: C: Program Data Common Files intuit QuickBooks.
- Now, click right on the “qbregistration.dat” file.
- Open the file using “Notepad”.
- Once done, make a backup for the “qbregistration.dat” file.
- Then, save this file on your desktop.
- In the end, open the same file from the common file window.
Edit the qbregistration.dat file
- First, you have to check the QuickBooks version for which you wish to change the license number.
- Then, you can replace the “InstallIDcorrect product code”. It is suggested to follow the “XXX-XXX” format. Also, make sure that you add the brackets.
- Next to this, replace your “license number” using the right number.
- Then, you can save the file.
- Restart your device.
- Once done, launch your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, open the “Product information” window using the “F2” key.
After following all these steps, you can check if the product and license number has been changed. These are all the ways to open and edit the file.
To Wind Up
Finding the QuickBooks product or license key is easy. You can pick different locations to do that. For instance, you can find QuickBooks license number in registry, QuickBooks packaging, confirmation email, QuickBooks lookup web page, and installation disc.
After finding your product information, you can use it for activating your QuickBooks software application. In case it is required in the future then you can also change or update the product and license numbers based on the QuickBooks version. For instance, you can access the files through QuickBooks, open the file using Windows Explorer, or edit the qbregistration.dat file.
We hope you have understood all the ways to locate and add the license and product number for QuickBooks.
In case you are planning to backup and restore files in QuickBooks, then you can read this guide to find easy ways.