Do you receive TurboTax error code 606 on your screen? Well, if so, this must be frustrating at times as this error does not allow you to file taxes in TurboTax. If you want to get rid of error 606 in TurboTax, stick through this guide to find effective solutions.
- What Are the Causes of TurboTax Error 606?
- Repairing Methods to Fix Error 606 in TurboTax
- Method 1: Remove the Installation CD
- Method 2: Configure Internet Settings
- Method 2.1: Reset the Internet Browser
- Method 2.2: Disable the Script Debugging
- Method 3: Repair TurboTax
- Uninstall TurboTax on Windows 10
- Uninstall TurboTax on Windows 8
- Uninstall TurboTax on Windows 7
- Method 4: Update Windows System
What Are the Causes of TurboTax Error 606?
TurboTax error code 606 can be caused due to several reasons. Some of the key reasons are listed below:
- TurboTax installation failure
- System files are corrupt
- TurboTax has crashed or failed
- Abrupt shutdown
- Hardware or software uninstallation was not performed properly.
- Windows system is not able to read files from TurboTax CD
There can be other conflicts with your programs that are running in the background. To avoid that conflict, you can end those problematic programs in Task Manager.
Repairing Methods to Fix Error 606 in TurboTax
Blaming Windows for receiving TurboTax error 606 is lame. This error code specifically is the fault of the TurboTax program. Such small bugs can be resolved easily.
Repairing TurboTax is quite helpful to fix this error. However, in this guide, we bring you easy and effective methods to fix error 606 in TurboTax. The procedure includes removing the TurboTax installation CD, resetting internet settings, disabling script debugging, and reinstalling TurboTax.
TurboTax users should also make sure that their Windows computer is up to date. To make the procedure clear to you, we are showing a step by step guide. Let’s get straight to it.
Method 1: Remove the Installation CD
The installation CD of TurboTax 2019 often creates problems especially if it is not installed properly on your Windows computer.
If you are bothered by TurboTax error 606 then the very first thing you can do is to remove the installation CD from the DVD or CD drive. If required, you can install the CD again. Thereafter, you can verify if you encounter TurboTax error code 606. If so then you should move to the next method.
Method 2: Configure Internet Settings
Incorrect settings of Internet Explorer can also cause TurboTax error code 606. Therefore, it is suggested to configure the Internet settings. For this procedure, we will show you will have to follow two different ways; reset the web browser and disable script debugging. Here is how to do that.
Method 2.1: Reset the Internet Browser
- Windows 10 and 8 users can click on the “Windows” icon.
- Type “Internet Options” in the search bar
- Then, go to the “Advanced” tab.
- Hit the “Reset” button.
- Windows 7 users can click on the “Start” menu.
- Look for “Control Panel”.
- Go to “Internet Options” located on the left.
- Click on the “Advanced” tab.
- Click the “Reset” button.
Method 2.2: Disable the Script Debugging
- Open the “Internet Options” window, go to the “Advanced” tab.
- Start finding the “Disable script debugging”.
- Place the checkmark for the “Radio” icon.
- Also, remove the mark for the “Display a Notification about Every Script Error” option.
- Now, hit the “Apply” and “OK” buttons respectively.
By following these steps, you can easily adjust internet settings. Once done then you can reboot your computer and check if you are still facing error 606 in TurboTax.
Method 3: Repair TurboTax
If you think TurboTax is causing problems then you should uninstall and reinstall it. You can do this right from the Control Panel. Follow these step by step instructions to open Control Panel based on the Windows version you are using:
Uninstall TurboTax on Windows 10
- In the Windows search bar, type “Control Panel”.
- Click on “Control Panel” when it appears in the result.
- Now, go to “Uninstall a program”.
Uninstall TurboTax on Windows 8
- Click on the “Start” menu.
- Scroll down to find “More Settings”.
- Click on “Control Panel”.
- Go to “Uninstall a program”.
Uninstall TurboTax on Windows 7
- Click on the “Start” menu.
- Go to “Control Panel”.
- Switch to “Uninstall a program”.
Once you reach the Programs and Features section in the Control Panel then you can click on the TurboTax program to uninstall it.
In case, you choose to update the TurboTax program then you have to follow the instructions on-screen to finish the process. And if you choose to uninstall the TurboTax program then you will have to reinstall it on your computer. Make sure that you don’t forget to reboot your computer right after that.
Note: When you attempt to uninstall TurboTax, your screen also prompts if you want to repair the software. At this stage, you can go with the repair process. This will be done via the internet and the process will take around 20 minutes. But, it will help you to fix the error by repairing TurboTax.
Method 4: Update Windows System
Windows operating systems with an outdated version can be the root cause of TurboTax error 606. This happens because the old version might not support essential features or programs. Thus, it is important to upgrade your system to the latest version.
In this method, we check for new Windows updates and install them on your Windows computer. For this, do the following:
- Launch the Windows “Settings” app.
- Click on the “Update & Security” option.
- Hit the ”Check for Updates” option.
Once you perform these steps, your computer will start looking for fresh updates for your Windows system. If there is any update available, you can click on Install Updates or Download and Install.
Once the updates are successfully installed on your computer, you can reboot your computer to refresh. This should fix the error.
In a Nutshell
TurboTax error code 606 can affect the actions you are practicing while filing tax in TurboTax. But, if you repair your Turbotax software, the error can be fixed easily. Besides that, you can remove the TurboTax installation CD, reset internet settings, disable script debugging, and update Windows operating system.
These methods will surely fix error 606 in TurboTax and then you can continue working on your tasks.
If you have stumbled upon other errors in TurboTax, we have prepared our detailed guide. Check them out here: