Certain business-related reasons may require you to open your QuickBooks files in Excel. Some users may also want to convert the .QBW extension file into Excel. The files of QuickBooks and QuickBooks Desktop can be opened in Excel as well as converted to it. The methods to do so will be explained here.
In this blog, we will be looking at how to open a QuickBooks file in Excel using a Windows computer. The methods will make use of the All Programs feature. The opening of the QuickBooks file, as well as its conversion, will be initiated using this feature.
The complete blog has been divided into 4 sections. The information provided in these sections have been indicated here:
What is the QBW File Extension?
QBW is a format using which a data file of QuickBooks can be saved. The readers may find it useful to know that the full form of QBW is QuickBooks for Windows. As an extension, it can be written as “.qbw”. The extension is helpful in identifying that a particular file carries information relating to QuickBooks. The information in the files can mainly be about images, templates, financial data, etc.
Can You Open a QuickBooks File in Excel?
It is possible to open a file of QuickBooks in Excel. On Windows, this can be done via the All Programs feature. As you open it, you should find Intuit. Select it and then go to the QuickBooks program. You can choose a file for opening it in Excel. Using the Open option, continue and input the password of this file. Soon, you will be able to export it and open the QuickBooks file in Excel.
- Press “Start” or the “Windows” key.
- Tap on “All Programs”.
- Scroll and click on “Intuit”.
- Find the “QB” program in the folder.
- Choose a file that has to be opened in Excel.
- Select the icon representing “Open” on the chosen file.
- Input the file’s “Password”.
- Choose “Customers”, “Employees”, or “Vendors”.
- Visit “Customer Centre”.
- Now, from the top, click on “Excel”.
- Pick “Export Excel”.
- The file can be saved now.
- Ensure that the file is named.
- Push the icon of “Export”.
- The file has to be opened using an old version of Excel.
- Select your “Excel” file one more time. Then import it to “Excel 2010”.
- Now, using the recent version of “Excel”, open this file.
- After this, select “Data”.
- Tap on “Other Resources”.
- Pick your QuickBooks file. If you don’t find it, then you can browse it.
- After this, choose the new QB file.
- Finally, you will be able to open your QuickBooks file in Excel.
How to Open a QuickBooks Desktop File in Excel?
For opening a QB file in Excel, a method has been outlined in this section. This method shall be recommended for the users of QuickBooks Desktop. This method will require you to open your file in the single-user mode and then export it to the spreadsheet of Excel.
In QuickBooks Desktop, you can open your Company File. From the File tab, pick the option for switching to the single-user mode. As this mode gets enabled, You can go to the File menu one more time. From the menu, the Export option has to be selected for doing the remaining procedure.
- To initiate, “QuickBooks Desktop” has to be opened.
- Launch that “Company File” which has to be opened in “Excel”. For this, click on “File”.
- Press “Open”.
- Visit the tab named “File”.
- Select the option that says “Switch to Single-user Mode”.
- Perform the fourth step again.
- Choose the option of “Export”.
- Opt for “Send the Report to a New Excel Spreadsheet”.
- Now, press the “Ok” tab.
- When the file gets opened in “Excel”, tap on “Save as”.
- Go to the tab for “File”.
- Write the file’s name here.
- Decide where you would like to save your file.
- After choosing the location, visit it.
- Now, you can open this particular file in “Excel” to check whether it is successfully opening.
This explains how to open a QuickBooks file in Excel. As you learnt, the file needs to be properly exported to the spreadsheet for opening it. Make sure that to export it, no step gets missed by you.
How to Convert a QBW File to Excel?
To convert your .qbw file to Excel, All Programs needs to be accessed on your Windows computer. From here, the folder of Intuit has to be opened. In the folder, the QuickBooks sub-folder can be found. Find your company file using it. Press Open and write the file’s password for continuing. Now, you will have to open certain links. After this, you will be able to convert the .qbw file into Excel.
- Push the key for “Windows” on the keyboard.
- Find “All Programs” from “Start”. Then open it.
- Visit the folder named “Intuit”.
- Select “QuickBooks” from this folder.
- Pick that “QB Company File” in which your data has been stored. Also, this has to be that company file that needs to be exported.
- Push the “Open” tab.
- The “QB Company File” may require a password. Correctly provide it.
- Open the links for “Customers”, “Vendors”, or “Employees”.
- Tap on “Customer Center”.
- The option of “Excel” shall be displayed. Choose it.
- Now, “Export to Excel” has to be selected.
- Choose a suitable location for the file that you have exported.
- Fill in “File Name”.
- Now, you can press “Export”.
For purposes relating to businesses, you may want to open your QuickBooks file in Excel. After reading this blog, you understood that this can be done via the All Programs option in Windows. Even when you have to convert a file into the Excel format, you can visit this option to start performing the complete method. To guide you about the same, we prepared the methods in this blog. We ensured that all the steps were listed in a basic language to help you in simply executing them.
To give this blog a rating, you can scroll further. You can also share your suggestions for this blog through the comment section.
The QuickBooks error 324 or 106 can usually occur when the software is being used. Some of you may be seeing this error at present. Should you like to know what this error code is and why it is occurring in the software, you can find a useful blog here.