QuickBooks provides easy to use features to handle your business accounting details. If you are a regular QuickBooks user, then you know that the software sometimes prompts several errors that affect its functionality. One of the errors you encounter is QuickBooks could not create the necessary PDF files.
here can be several reasons that QuickBooks will not create PDF files. One of the reasons is that when you upgrade your system to Windows 10, it adds a new Microsoft XPS document writer device to the system configuration. And, it is attached to a default port called PORTPROMPT that creates conflicts and therefore the printing issue occurs in your QuickBooks software.
What are the Causes that QuickBooks Could Not Create The Necessary PDF Files?
QuickBooks will not create PDF files due to various reasons. Below are the following causes that may be responsible for not creating PDF files in QuickBooks.
- When the component for a PDF file is not present in the system.
- PDF converter installation shows errors such as Error 1801 or 1722.
- QuickBooks PDF converter activation error.
- Print driver host stopped working.
- QuickBooks is not able to save the form as PDF.
- When the PDF converter is offline.
- Some unrecoverable error has been encountered.
- Problems with the connectivity of Printer.
- Reconciling accounts has frozen the QuickBooks account.
- QuickBooks stopped responding due to technical issues.
- Screen shows errors such as Device is not ready.
If you have been encountering such issues that are not allowing QuickBooks to create PDF prints then you can resolve the error by performing a few solutions. Let us go through them.
Here are the Solutions if QuickBooks could not create the necessary PDF files
If QuickBooks not creating PDF, you can resolve the errors in QuickBooks by performing the troubleshooting methods. To do so, you can go through the following solutions one by one. Although the first solution would surely resolve the issue. In case it does not then you can move to the next solutions mentioned below.
Solution 1– Use PDF and Print Repair Tool
The first effective solution is to use the PDF and Print Repair Tool. However, before you try these tools, you have to keep one thing into consideration that your QuickBooks accounting software is updated with the latest version. If it is not updated then you can search for the updates and install it on your computer.
Once you update the QuickBooks software, you can then download the PDF and Print Repair Tool on your system. You can find the download link from the Intuit official website. After the installation is done, you can run the software to perform. Thereafter, you can check for the errors. If it says that your QuickBooks could not create the necessary PDF files, then you will have to reset permissions of the temp folder.
To do so, you can go through the following steps.
- Type %TEMP% in RUN command and then press Enter key.
- In this temp folder, you need to click right and select properties.
- Switch to the Security tab and ensure that the permissions for all the usernames and groups should be set as Full Control.
- After this, you can give it a try if you can save the PDF file or not.
If you were having issues with both PDF and sending emails then you would have to follow one more step. Firstly, you are required to confirm if you can print it to Microsoft’s XPS Document Writer. For that, you can look for the steps mentioned below.
- Launch Notepad and start scribbling on it.
- Now you can go to the File tab and open the Print window.
- At this point, you can select Microsoft XPS Document Writer as a printer.
- Then, you can hit the Print button and save it to your desktop folder.
- Lastly, you can check if you are able to see the printed document.
If QuickBooks could not create PDF file, the aforementioned steps will help you to solve the problem.
Solution 2 – Check if Reconcile Window is Appearing Off
If QuickBooks not creating PDF, you can resolve the errors easily. In this solution, you are required to perform the following steps in sequence such as test the Microsoft XPS Document Writer, reinstall it, adjust Windows user permission, change settings of security software, install MSXML, and create new form templates.
- First of all, check if a reconcile window is presented in the list (in the Window menu).
- At this point, you can select the ‘Close All’ option.
- Now, you can restart the reconcile process.
Once you are done following the second solution, you can look for the error if it still persists while creating PDFs in QuickBooks. If it remains the same then you can move to the next solution.
Solution 3 -Test, Re-install and Adjust Windows User Permission for Microsoft XPS Document Writer
In this solution, you are required to perform the following steps in sequence such as test the Microsoft XPS Document Writer, reinstall it, adjust Windows user permission, change settings of security software, install MSXML, and create new form templates.
I. Test Microsoft XPS Document Writer
- Open the File menu
- Select the Print option
- Select Microsoft XPS Document Writer as a printer
- Now, click on Print and save the .xps file to your desktop.
- After that, you can look for the .xps file on the desktop.
If you cannot find the file on your desktop and no error occurs while saving the file then check the security settings. If the .xps file is present there but you encounter an error while opening the file or it does not display properly then you can reinstall the XPS Document Writer.
If you go to print and QuickBooks encounters an issue then you need to reinstall the XPS Document Writer. Along with that, reinstall the writer if it is unavailable as an option.
II. Reinstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer
- As mentioned above, you are required to reinstall the Microsoft XPS Document Writer.
- Before you install it, you will have to make sure that XPS Viewer and XPS Services are enabled.
III. Adjust the Windows User Permission for Microsoft XPS Document Writer
- Open the Printer Control Panel
- Now you need to open Printer Properties for this Microsoft XPS Document Writer.
- Select Everyone user group under the Security.
- Now in the Allow column, choose the Print option and check it.
- After this, you can go to C Drive -> Windows -> System32 -> Spool.
- At this point, you can select the Printers options and go to Security in the Properties.
- Then, select the Edit option to go to Add and type Local Service and hit the Enter button.
- Here, you will have to make sure that the Local Service has Full Control and then hit the OK button.
- Once you are done, try to create PDF and check if the error has been resolved.
IV. Change the Settings of your Security Software
If your QuickBooks could not create the necessary PDF files on Windows 10, it may happen due to the security software (Firewall or Antivirus) that is installed on your system. In this step, you are required to modify the settings of your security software. Doing so, you will be able to create .xps files.
V. Install or Repair Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0
In this step, you are supposed to install MSXML as it is required for the Microsoft XPS Document Writer. To repair MSXML 6.0, you can run the System File Checker.
VI. Make and Use a New Form Template
If your QuickBooks could not create the necessary PDF files, it is because the form template has been damaged. To resolve this issue, you can create a new form template. Then, you can change the template on the transaction. In the end, you can try if you are able to create PDFs.
If QuickBooks could not create PDF file, you can solve the problem using the methods we have provided. By performing any of the aforementioned solutions, you can easily resolve the error. Now, if you ever find that your QuickBooks could not create the necessary PDF files on Windows 10, you can try to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Desktop or try the other solutions in order to get rid of this error in QuickBooks.