Sometimes you may come across the error code 1603 while using TurboTax. Along with that, you may also see a message stating that at the time of updating or installing, a fatal error had occurred. As you can guess, this TurboTax error will prevent you from going ahead with the installation of the updates.
Do you know the possible causes of the TurboTax error 1603 on your system? We will help you know them. We will also assist you in fixing the error by following numerous fixes which will be suitable for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 users.
For easy user navigation, you can go through this section. From causes to the fixes of the error code 1603 Windows installer in TurboTax, everything has been mentioned in brief.
- What are the Main Causes of the TurboTax Error 1603?
- How can I Fix the TurboTax Error 1603?
- Fix 1: Reinstall or Update Conflicting Programs via Control Panel
- Method 1: Reinstall or Update Conflicting Programs on Windows 7
- Method 2: Reinstall or Update Conflicting Programs on Windows 8
- Method 3: Reinstall or Update Conflicting Programs on Windows 10
- Fix 2: Install the Runtime Libraries Again
- Fix 3: Administer Disk Cleanup on Your System
- Fix 4: Reinstall TurboTax and Run the Troubleshoot Compatibility
- Fix 5: Exit the Conflicting Programs on Your Computer
- Fix 6: Update Antivirus Program on Your PC
What are the Main Causes of the TurboTax Error 1603?
For resolving the TurboTax 1603 error, you should first understand the main causes of it. To understand them, you can read below.
- You can check the subscription period of TurboTax. If it has expired, then this problem may be emerging.
- When Windows files become corrupted or there is an issue with the folder permission, this error will arise.
- In case you’re not signed in to your computer as the admin, you may encounter this error code while using TurboTax.
- The permissions of the Windows registry key may have become damaged.
- Another main cause of this error is a virus or malware.
- The TurboTax software downloaded by you may not be compatible with your PC.
- Security software such as AVG can cause interference while installing the updates and give rise to this error code.
- Manufacturing defects in your PC can make way for this problem.
- The hard disk of your system may not be having enough memory space.
How can I Fix the TurboTax Error 1603?
If you wish to remove the TurboTax 2018 error code 1603 on your computer, then you can administer a number of fixes. The most reliable fixes can be found in the upcoming parts of this post. These fixes will be appropriate for the users of different versions of Windows. These versions are inclusive of Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
Fix 1: Reinstall or Update Conflicting Programs via Control Panel
In this fix, we will suggest that you reinstall or update the conflicting program responsible for the TurboTax error code 1603. In the following sub-sections, three methods have been mentioned for updating or reinstalling the program on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. Let us find more information about them.
Method 1: Reinstall or Update Conflicting Programs on Windows 7
For reinstalling/updating the conflicting program on Windows 7, you can access Programs and Features in the Control Panel. Then you can identify the program and do the needful.
- Press the “Windows” key on the keyboard.
- Head to the “Control Panel”.
- Click on “Programs and Features”.
- Identify the conflicting program and click on it.
- Choose the option of “Uninstall” or “Update”.
Method 2: Reinstall or Update Conflicting Programs on Windows 8
On Windows 8, you can remove or update the problematic program responsible for the TurboTax error by entering the Programs and Features. The following steps will help you in accessing this option.
- Launch the “Start Menu”.
- Scrolling below, you will find “More Settings”. Click on this option.
- Visit the “Control Panel”.
- In this step, the “Programs and Features” option has to be selected.
5. Choose the program which has been generating the 1603 error message.
6. Select “Update”/”Uninstall”.
Method 3: Reinstall or Update Conflicting Programs on Windows 10
The Windows 10 users can head to the Control Panel for removing the error 1603. In the Control Panel, the Programs and Features option will be visible. Here, you can find the conflicting program and uninstall/update it.
- Open the “Start Menu” by hitting the “Windows” key.
- In “Search”, write “Control Panel”.
- Enter “Programs and Features”.
- Pick the conflicting program.
- Choose to “Uninstall” or “Update” the program as per your preference.
Disclaimer: In all the three methods shown above, the last option will demand you to decide whether to “Update” or “Uninstall” the conflicting program. Whichever option you choose, you will be provided with the instructions on your screen to go ahead with removing or updating it. In case you are choosing to uninstall it, make sure that you download and install it again. It will not cause any conflicts this time. Hence, the TurboTax 2018 error code 1603 will stop appearing on your PC.
Fix 2: Install the Runtime Libraries Again
This TurboTax error 1603 fix will guide you in reinstalling the runtime libraries to mend the problem. For reinstalling them, you will find Programs and Features in the Control Panel. After highlighting the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package, you can uninstall it and reboot your PC. Once this is done, you can download and install the package once again.
- Open the “Start Menu”.
- Launch the “Control Panel”.
- Find and click on “Programs and Features”.
- The “Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package” has to be highlighted.
- In the list, at the top, select “Uninstall”.
- Rebooting your PC is the next step.
- This is followed by downloading the most recent redistributable package.
- Lastly, install the package.
As the runtime libraries get reinstalled on your computer, the TurboTax Windows installer error 1603 should not trouble you any longer.
Fix 3: Administer Disk Cleanup on Your System
According to many users, the TurboTax install error 1603 was resolved by administering disk cleanup on their systems. Should you wish to try this fix, you can access the Explorer window and locate the main directory. Right-click on it to enter the Properties. You will find the Disk Cleanup option here. Click to run it. Soon, the error will vanish.
- Make a backup of all your important files.
- Ensure that space is available on your system’s hard drive.
- This is accompanied by removing the cache.
- Attempt to reboot your PC.
- Then launch the “Explorer” window.
- Right-tap on the main directory.
- Select “Properties”.
- Then choose the “Disk Cleanup” option.
Fix 4: Reinstall TurboTax and Run the Troubleshoot Compatibility
The error code 1603 Windows installer in TurboTax may be resulting on your computer due to certain bugs in the software. You can reinstall TurboTax and then run the Troubleshoot Compatibility. To start, you can remove TurboTax. Then as you install it again, you will see a Setup File. After clicking on this file, you will find the option of Troubleshoot Compatibility. You can choose it and then proceed with the steps that remain.
- To prevent any interference from your PC’s security software, you can temporarily turn it off.
- Next, uninstall “TurboTax” from your PC.
- Now, install “TurboTax” once again. See to it that it gets completely installed and in the right manner.
- Locate the “Setup File” and click on it.
- Select “Troubleshoot Compatibility”. After selecting it, you need to wait for your system to complete the detection of this program.
- Now, choose “Worked in a Previous Version on Windows”.
- This is followed by selecting “Windows 7 RTM” or the preferable version “Windows Vista SP2”.
Disclaimer: In the seventh step, the version of Windows which you need to select will depend on the version that you are using in your system.
- Press “Next” in the eighth step.
- Tap on “Start”.
- The process of installation will now begin. Please wait for this process to finish.
- When the process of installation gets over, you can press “Finish” to complete this fix.
We believe that you will not be able to face this TurboTax Windows installer error 1603 now while using the TurboTax software.
Fix 5: Exit the Conflicting Programs on Your Computer
If the TurboTax 1603 error code is showing up on your PC, it may hint that certain conflicting programs are creating problems. They may be conflicting among themselves and preventing you from using TurboTax. Therefore, you will be suggested to close these programs.
You can access the Task Manager and view the list of the programs which are running on your PC. Via the tab of Processes, you can close these programs. While closing them, the error message may get generated for a certain program. You can identify this program and choose to install it again.
- The combination of keys given as follows has to be pressed at once.
“Ctrl” key + “Alt” key “Del” key.
- Now, the “Task Manager” will be available on your screen. In the “Task Manager”, you can go through a list of all the programs which are running at present.
- Click on the tab named “Processes”.
- Stop each of the programs one at a time. For stopping them, you can first highlight them and then tap on “End Process”.
- While you close the running programs one after the other, the 1603 error message may appear every time. In case the error message is repeatedly appearing for a particular program, then please identify it.
- After the program has been identified, you can uninstall it.
- Then you can reinstall the program you had removed in the sixth step.
- As the final step, when the program has been reinstalled, check for the error code 1603 Windows installer in TurboTax.
Fix 6: Update Antivirus Program on Your PC
In case the TurboTax error code 1603 Windows installer error is occurring due to your antivirus program, you can check whether or not it is updated. In case it has not been recently updated, you can install the updates and then run the program. It will prevent any virus or malware that may be causing the TurboTax error.
The TurboTax error 1603 fixes mentioned in this blog would have helped you in making the software error-free. The directions provided with these fixes must be administered in the right sequence for getting the desired results.
While the error code 1603 has been taken care of, would you like to troubleshoot other TurboTax errors as well? If so, then our blogs on the TurboTax error code 36 and form 2210 TurboTax error will be worth your time.