If you see YouTube black screen while playing videos, then do not worry. You can easily solve this “YouTube video black screen” issue in a few minutes. If you want to know how to get it done, keep on reading to find various solutions.
What are the Causes of the YouTube Black Screen?
If you are thinking why is my YouTube screen black then you should know the reasons behind this error. A few of the following causes are mentioned below.
- Browser Problem: Your web browser often collects cookies and data due to which YouTube black screen issue occurs.
- Internet Connectivity: Due to the slow or low-quality internet connectivity, you might face problems while playing videos on YouTube.
- Browser Extensions/Add-ons: Browser extensions such as Ad blocking extensions stop YouTube videos to play properly.
- PC Problem: Your computer issues can also be the reason for this YouTube app black screen error.
How to Fix YouTube Black Screen on Phone, Computer, or Smart TV?
The YouTube app can be accessed on multiple devices such as computers, mobile phones, and smart TVs. If you are using the YouTube app on a web browser, Android, iPhone, or Samsung TV and facing a YouTube app black screen issue then check out the methods listed below. The guide covers the methods based on the device you use.
For instance, you can fix the YouTube black screen issue on your computer (Internet Explorer or other web browsers), mobile phones (Android and iPhone YouTube app), Samsung TV YouTube app. So, let us get started.
Method 1: Fix YouTube Video Black Screen on Computer
In case you stream YouTube videos using the YouTube web app on your computer then you have 8 different ways to fix the YouTube app black screen issue. If you are willing to know how to fix black screen on YouTube videos Internet Explorer or other web browsers then go through the following solutions listed below.
Fix 1: Log Out Your YouTube Account
The first simple thing you can do is to sign out the YouTube account. For that, you can do the following.
- Click on the Account icon located on the top right.
- Then, you can click on the Sign Out option.
After that, you can try signing in and check if YouTube starts playing the video. Most of the users find the YouTube app black screen issue resolved.
Fix 2: Check Your Internet Connection
In this YouTube black screen fix, you can check the internet connection. To stream high-quality videos, a strong internet connection is required. So if you find issues with the internet or Wi-Fi connection, make sure you strengthen it. Then, you can refresh the YouTube account and play videos in high quality.
Fix 3: Update the Web Browser
In most of the situations, your browser starts troubling the performance due to its older version. Also, if you use the Adobe Flash Player plugin which might be unsupported for YouTube then you may encounter YouTube video black screen issues.
To prevent this error, you can check for the latest updates in your browser’s About. If you see the new update, you can download and install it. Then, you can try checking YouTube and playing videos. This will surely solve the YouTube app black screen issue.
Fix 4: Clear Cache and Cookies
As mentioned earlier, your browser collects cookies and due to the stored cache, it may affect YouTube functionality. If you are thinking why is my YouTube screen black then you can do the following.
For Mozilla Firefox
- On your Firefox web browser, go to the menu by clicking on three vertical dots on the top right.
- Here, you can click on the Privacy & Security option.
- Now, you can scroll down and click on the Cookies and Site Data option.
- After that, you can click on the Clear Data option.
- Once done, remove the checkbox for Cookies and Site Data and select the Cached Web Content.
- In the end, you can hit the Clear button.
For Google Chrome
- On your Chrome web browser, go to the More Tools by clicking on three vertical dots on the top right.
- Then, you can select Clear browsing data.
- Here, you can choose the time range for removing the cache.
- Then, you can select the checkboxes for the Browsing history, cached images and files, and Cookies and other site data.
- Once done, click on the Clear data.
Fix 5: Disable AdBlockers
Sometimes YouTube video not working black screen because you are using Chrome extensions or Firefox add-ons such as Adblockers. When you use such browser extensions, you may encounter YouTube video black screen errors. To prevent this issue, you can disable the extensions and try playing videos on YouTube. Here is what to do for both browsers.
For Mozilla Firefox
- First of all, click on the menu button located on the top right on your browser.
- Now, click on Add-ons. This will open the Add-ons Manager window.
- Here, you can select the Themes or Extensions panel.
- At this point, you can pick the add-on to disable such as an ad-blocking add-on.
- Once you select the add-on, click on Disable.
- After this, you will see the pop-up of Restart Now. You can click on it. This will solve your YouTube video black screen issue. Then, you can log in to your YouTube account to play videos.
For Google Chrome
- On the Google Chrome browser, you can click on the three vertical dots on the top right. Then, select More Tool and choose Extensions.
- Alternatively, on the address bar, you can type chrome://extensions and hit the Enter key.
- Here, you can disable the extensions clicking on the toggle button.
- Once done, open your YouTube web app and play videos.
Fix 6: Check the Adobe Flash Player
Adobe Flash Player is used widely to embed videos on certain websites. If you are thinking my YouTube screen is black then you should check the Adobe Flash Player if it is outdated. If you find its latest updates then install it. And, if there are no new updates then you can uninstall the program and reinstall it. Once done, try playing YouTube videos on your computer.
Fix 7: Disable the Hardware Acceleration
YouTube app black screen issues often appear due to the availability of hardware acceleration. To fix the issue, you can simply disable this option from your web browsers. Below are the following steps for Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
For Mozilla Firefox
- On the Firefox browser, go to the menu clicking on the icon on top right.
- Then, go to the Options and select the General panel.
- Under the Performance section, you can uncheck the option that says “Use hardware acceleration when available”.
- Thereafter, you can restart the Firefox browser and play YouTube videos.
For Google Chrome
- First of all, you can open your Chrome browser and go to its settings.
- Next to this, click on the Advanced button and go to the System area.
- Here, you can deselect the “Use hardware acceleration when available” option.
- After that, you can restart your Chrome web browser and try accessing the YouTube web app.
Fix 8: Try Downloading YouTube Videos
If you encounter YouTube movie black screen issues and you do not want to go through the aforementioned settings then you can simply download the YouTube videos with the help of online video downloader tools and watch the video offline. For this, you just need to copy the link of the video, paste it in the online video downloader tool, select the video format (MP3 and MP4), and start downloading the videos.
The above-mentioned steps can only be performed on your computers. By making small settings your web browsers, you can fix the YouTube video black screen issue.
Method 2: How to Fix YouTube Black Screen on Phone?
If you are worried about how to fix YouTube black screen on phone then do not worry at all. Whether you use a YouTube app on an Android phone or iPhone, you can fix YouTube mobile black screen errors by clearing out the cache. Here is how to fix black screen YouTube Android and iPhone.
First of all, you can go to the Settings app.
Then, you can find the Storage section.
Now, tap the Other Apps to find a list of installed apps.
Here, you can choose YouTube.
After that, you can select the Clear Cache option.
Once you are done applying the aforementioned steps, you can launch the YouTube app on your phone and play videos. This will for sure solve the YouTube black screen Android 2019 issue.
Method 3: Fix YouTube Black Screen on Samsung Smart TV
A few of the users access the YouTube app on their smart TVs such as Samsung smart TV. If you are one of those who are facing the YouTube TV black screen issue then go through the following solutions.
To fix the YouTube video black screen issue, you can perform different techniques. For instance, you can reinstall the app, reset settings, update the YouTube app, clear cache data, or press the back button on the remote. Let us understand in detail in the following steps.
Fix 1 – Uninstall and Reinstall YouTube App
- On Samsung TV, you can go to the Apps section.
- Then find the YouTube app.
- After this, you can click the Uninstall option.
- Next to this, install the app again on your TV. This might solve the YouTube TV black screen issue.
Fix 2 -Reset the Samsung TV Settings
If you are thinking why is my YouTube screen black, then you can reset the Samsung TV settings to solve the issue. For that, you can do the following:
- Press the Menu button on your Samsung TV remote.
- Then, go to the System.
- Here you will find the Reset option, click on it and hit the OK button.
- At this point, you can select this Reset TV to factory settings defaults. Then, press the OK button.
- Now, you can enter the Parental lock code which should 0000 (default code), and press the OK button.
- After that, you can select the Reset option and press the OK button.
Once you are done applying the settings, you can wait for a while and wait for your TV to turn off and restart again.
Fix 3 -Update the YouTube App
Sometimes you find this YouTube TV black screen issue due to the older version. So, it is better that you look for new updates for the YouTube app. If you find any latest updates, install it, and play YouTube again. This will solve your YouTube video black screen issue.
Fix 4 -Clear Cache Data
If you are thinking why does YouTube have black screen, you should try clearing the cache data and removing the temporary files as it may affect YouTube functionality.
Fix 5 -Press the Back button using Remote
When you see YouTube black screen on Samsung Smart TV, you can press the Back button on your TV remote. To do so, you can do the following.
- To begin, you can launch the YouTube app on your Samsung smart tv.
- Then, you can hold down the back button till the time you see the Home Page.
- After this, you can open the YouTube app.
- This will reset the YouTube app automatically.
After applying all the steps, you will find your YouTube app normal with no black screen on your Samsung TV.
While using the YouTube app on your computer, phone, or Samsung TV, if you see an error like YouTube video black screen then you can resolve it by performing the aforementioned solutions. The guide covers fixes for all the mentioned devices. So, if you want to learn to fix YouTube black screen Android 2019 or other devices then this guide will help you.
Additionally, we have a curated guide on how to turn off restricted mode on YouTube mobile, read here to know more. Besides that, you can fix when YouTube videos not loading on your phone or computer.