Asus laptop black screen of death can get in your way and not let you do any work on your device. This black screen issue can be seen when you start your Asus laptop, unplug it, or when you are in-between your work. The issue mainly arises on Asus Notebook and laptop when the AC adapter or cables are loosely connected. Other reasons for the error can include failed BIOS updates, faulty hard disk, the moist environment around the device, damaged battery, and outdated graphic drivers.
Here, you can learn more about why you are seeing this problem and what should be the ideal way to resolve it. We have answered everything you want to know in this post. Continue reading to learn.
These are the fixes we shall know about to fix the issue of the black screen on the Asus laptop:
- Why My Asus Laptop is Stuck on a Black Screen?
- Fixing Asus Laptop Black Screen
- Fix 1: Remove Battery of Your Asus Laptop and Check Display
- Fix 2: Reset Connection to Display on Your Asus Laptop
- Fix 3: Ensure Your Asus Laptop is Not in Moist Environment Before Login/Startup
- Fix 4: Use F2 Key and Remove Hard Disk Drive of Your Asus Laptop
- Fix 5: Hard Reset Your Asus Laptop and Detach Peripheral Devices Before Startup
- Fix 6: Start Explorer.exe Process Again on Your Asus Laptop When Caps Lock is On
- Fix 7: Try Disabling Fast Startup on Your Windows 10 Asus Laptop
- Fix 8: Execute System Restore on Your Asus Laptop After Making Changes
- Fix 9: Update Graphics on Your Asus Laptop
- Fix 10: Use Safe Mode on Your Asus Laptop
- Fix 11: Install BIOS Updates if Asus Laptop Powers on and Shows Black Screen
- Fix 12: Connect AC Adapter and Wait for 60 Seconds
- Fix 13: Download File When No BIOS is Seen on Asus Laptop
- Fix 14: Remove Cables, Battery, External Devices and Hard Reset Asus Laptop
- Tips to Prevent Asus Laptop Black Screen
Why My Asus Laptop is Stuck on a Black Screen?
The users of Asus laptops often report the problem of the black screen. Sometimes it can just be a minor glitch. At other times, major causes can lead to this problem. To understand why the Asus laptop screen goes black when unplugged, just after the startup or even after logging in, we will be displaying its causes below.
- Any problem with the battery of your laptop or its loosely connected cables can cause the black screen of death.
- This error can appear on your system when its operating system is not able to connect with the display.
- Not keeping your Asus laptop clean can invite the dust particles to enter within and harm the screen. As a result, you will see the black screen on your Asus laptop.
- If you are keeping your Asus laptop in a moist environment, then also you can face this error. Such an environment can have bad consequences for your machine in the long run.
- If your Asus laptop is on but screen is black, then any issue with your system’s hard disk drive may be the culprit.
- You may have connected multiple peripheral devices to your Asus laptop. These devices can also generate the black screen problem.
- The Explorer.exe process being closed is the seventh cause of this problem.
- Sometimes, this problem on your Asus laptop can be experienced after making changes to it.
- Lack of updated graphic drivers can also be a source of this display issue.
Fixing Asus Laptop Black Screen
The black screen of death on your Asus laptop can be dealt with by taking off its battery, checking it, and ensuring that no cables are loose. Along with that, you can try resetting the display connection, hard reset the device, run the Explorer.exe process, disable fast startup, etc.
For resolving the problem of the Asus laptop black screen of death, encountered under various circumstances, we have 14 successful fixes. For doing each of these fixes, we will advise you to first read the instructions provided. Any mistake made in haste while doing these fixes can surface more problems.
Fix 1: Remove Battery of Your Asus Laptop and Check Display
Issues with the battery or its cables can hint towards the Asus laptop black screen issue. Inspecting the battery and checking that the cables within are properly connected can clear this issue. To begin with, you can shut down the device and detach its power cable. When the display isn’t on, you can view its battery as well as open the display.
For checking these parts of your Asus laptop, you can go through the following 12 steps.
Suggestion: In this fix, you will be removing the screws of your Asus laptop to check the battery and cables inside. Please be very careful while you do so.
- Turn off your Asus laptop and remove the power cable. Also, ensure that the display is off.
- Flip your laptop and locate the battery. You’ll find it in a rectangular port.
- Open the screws via a screwdriver and then flip the screen towards the right.
- Open the display and remove the top cover.
- Remove the screws on the plastic bezel and around the screen.
- Pull the corners of the bezel gently and allow the display to lean forward.
- Pull the display behind and look for a thick black screen wire.
- Remove tape from the cable and look for any damages on the wire.
Note: Also, ensure that the thick black screen wire is in good condition. If not, then this may be causing the black screen problem on your Asus laptop.
- Plug out and properly plug in the wire again.
- Now, inspect the rectangular inverter board mounted on the screen’s backside. Check that the 2 cables on its sides are properly plugged in.
- Now, place back all the parts you removed. Attach the screws too.
- Connect the power cable and turn on your Asus laptop. Voila! The black screen problem will have been fixed.
Fix 2: Reset Connection to Display on Your Asus Laptop
In certain instances, the black screen of your Asus laptop may only be a minor error. This generally happens when your device’s operating system fails to connect with the display. In this instance, the Asus laptop black screen of death fix will be to reset the connection to the display of your device. To check this, you can start the device and press the Ctrl, Shift, and B keys together. This combination will initiate the resetting process.
You can also go through the steps shown here:
- When you turn on your laptop, tap the “Windows”, “Ctrl”, “Shift” and “B” keys at the same time. This will reset the connection to the display.
- Now, use your laptop. The black screen error will not emerge.
Fix 3: Ensure Your Asus Laptop is Not in Moist Environment Before Login/Startup
An environment with moist air can be one of the top causes of the Asus laptop black screen after login or after startup. This can cause unlikely elements to enter your laptop. Showing the black screen is just one consequence of such an environment. More problems can come in the long run.
For this reason, you should keep your Asus laptop in an environment with a good flow of air. Also, develop a habit of cleaning your laptop every day. Remove the dust gently and also keep it safe.
For this reason, you should keep your Asus laptop in an environment with a good flow of air. Also, develop a habit of cleaning your laptop every day. Remove the dust gently and also keep it safe.
Fix 4: Use F2 Key and Remove Hard Disk Drive of Your Asus Laptop
If your display dropped Asus laptop screen black error, then you can first press the “F2” key to resolve it. Further, you can remove and reinsert the Hard Disk Drive. To know the details of this fix, read the 6 steps shown below.
1. Start your Asus laptop.
2. Press and hold the “F2” key and “Power” button together for a few seconds. The black screen will get removed.
3. In case the black screen persists, turn off your laptop and remove the “Hard Disk Drive”.
4. Now, turn on your laptop and enter “BIOS”.
5. When the default settings get loaded, insert the “Hard Disk Drive”.
6. Tap “Save Changes and Exit”. When your laptop starts, the black screen error will have been resolved.
Fix 5: Hard Reset Your Asus Laptop and Detach Peripheral Devices Before Startup
We discussed with you that sometimes peripheral devices can generate errors. These can very well lead to the Asus laptop black screen after startup. You can shut down your Asus device, take out the power cord, and then remove its battery. After this, you can remove the peripheral devices connected to your Asus laptop. After 30 seconds, you can press Power for 1 minute.
Here is one of the best procedures to troubleshoot the problem. This procedure will hard reset your machine and remove these errors.
- Turn off your laptop, remove the power cord and battery, and then remove every peripheral device connected to it.
- Let your laptop sit idle for at least 30 seconds.
- Now, keep its “Power” button pressed for 60 seconds.
- Insert the battery and attach the power cord.
- Next, boot your laptop after turning it on.
- When your laptop turns on and you don’t find the black screen, you can connect the peripheral devices again.
Fix 6: Start Explorer.exe Process Again on Your Asus Laptop When Caps Lock is On
In certain situations, your Asus laptop can display the black screen with the Caps Lock light being on. For your information, the Explorer.exe process is responsible for managing various processes on your device. In case this process has been closed, you will see the black screen error. Therefore, restarting it can be useful.
You can try restarting the Explorer.exe process by simultaneously pressing the Ctrl, Shift, and Esc keys. Through the Task Manager, you can locate Details or Processes. The tab will carry the option of Explorer.exe. After you’ve located it, you can choose the End Task option. Finally, you can start over your device.
Now, let us see step-by-step how restarting the Explorer.exe process can wipe away the issue of the Asus laptop black screen caps lock light on.
- Press together the “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and the “Esc” key on your Asus laptop’s keyboard.
- When the “Task Manager” opens, access the “Details” tab. For the users of Asus laptop Windows 7, this will be shown as the “Processes” tab.
- Find “Explorer.exe” in the tab. Then tap “End Task”.
- Now, restart your Asus laptop. The issue of the black laptop screen will not bother you now.
Fix 7: Try Disabling Fast Startup on Your Windows 10 Asus Laptop
On Windows 10, the Asus laptop light is on but the screen black issue can occur. Disabling fast startup will make certain changes to your device. After these changes, the issue should get resolved on your Windows 10 Asus laptop. When the device is on, you can open Run and write powercfg.cpl. Further, you can opt for Choose What the Power Button Do. Later, you can tap on Change Settings that are Currently Available. After this, you can disable the fast startup option to initiate certain changes.
Now, we will show you how to disable fast startup. This is one of the quick fixes for this problem. This can be done in 7 steps only.
- Open “Run” on your Asus laptop Windows 10.
- Paste “powercfg.cpl” in “Run”. Then tap “Enter”.
- Tap “Choose What the Power Buttons Do”.
- Tap “Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable”.
- Ensure that the “Turn on fast startup (Recommended)” option has not been selected.
- Save the changes made and then exit.
- Lastly, restart your Asus laptop Windows 10.
Fix 8: Execute System Restore on Your Asus Laptop After Making Changes
“My Asus laptop has a black screen after making some changes”. As one of the readers reported this problem, we found out what was causing it.
When changes are made to your Asus laptop, there may occur a problem while making these changes. As a consequence of this, the black screen may be getting displayed on your laptop. To revert these changes, you can start the system restoration process. Visiting the Start Menu, you can write System Restore in the option of Search. Then you can opt for Create a Restore Point. Followed by this, you can visit the tab titled System Protection and choose System Restore from here. The system restore process will fix the issue.
See how this process is done in 11 steps.
- Press the “Windows” key.
- Type in “System restore”.
- Tap “Create a Restore Point”.
- Open the “System Protection” tab.
- Tap on “System Restore”.
- Go through the instructions provided on your screen.
- Tap “Next”.
- Select “Show More Restore Points”.
- Choose a suitable restore point and press “Next”.
- Again perform as per the instructions provided on your screen.
- Then restart your laptop. The problem will not persist.
Fix 9: Update Graphics on Your Asus Laptop
If your Asus laptop screen goes black when moved or if it turns black and white then the outdated graphics could be the culprit. For updating your device’s graphics, you can write X in the Start Menu’s Search. Then you can enter the Device Manager and make a selection for Display Adapters. As you expand this option, you can select the graphics driver. Right-tap on the selected driver and choose to update it.
Learn here how to update the graphics of your Asus laptop to do away with the black screen display.
- Press the “Windows” key along with the “X” letter key.
- Click on “Device Manager”.
- Then choose “Display Adapters”.
- Expand the options of “Display Adapters”. Select your graphics driver.
- Right-click on the selected driver and select “Update Driver”.
- From the 2 options available, select “Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software”.
- Do as per the instructions available on your screen.
- Finally, restart your Asus laptop. The Asus laptop black and white screen or the problem of black screen when moved will be fixed.
Fix 10: Use Safe Mode on Your Asus Laptop
Asus laptops come with the option of being used in the Safe Mode. The error of the black screen can be settled by starting this mode on your device. You can first run the Safe Mode and then click on the option stating Browse My Computer for Driver Software. You can browse through the list and choose the driver that is the oldest by looking at its date. Then select Next and follow the on-screen guidelines.
In this Asus laptop black screen fix, we will show you how to use the safe mode for resolving this problem. For doing this troubleshooting fix, you will have to first read the 6 steps given below. Make sure that no mistake is done while you do this fix.
- Open the “Safe Mode” on your Asus Laptop.
- Choose the option of “Browse My Computer for Driver Software”.
- Here, a list of drivers along with their date will be available. Select the oldest driver. Then press “Next”.
- Perform the on-screen instructions.
- Now, you have to restart your Asus laptop.
- The last step is to ensure whether the Asus sonicmaster laptop black screen got fixed.
Fix 11: Install BIOS Updates if Asus Laptop Powers on and Shows Black Screen
In certain situations, the Asus laptop screen stays black even when the device is powering on. It may power on, however, booting to a black screen may begin. This can especially happen when the updates for BIOS have failed. Installing these updates again can ensure that the black screen issue doesn’t arise again.
To completely install the updates for BIOS when your Asus laptop is showing a black screen, you can remove its AC adapter as well as its battery. Then you can hold the Power key for about 40 seconds. Later, you can attach the battery along with the adapter. As you start your device now, the updates for BIOS will get initiated.
- Plug out the AC adapter.
- Remove the battery in case it is removable.
- Press “Power” for at least 40 seconds.
- Connect the AC adapter again.
- Now, reinsert the battery into your device.
- Start your laptop.
- Your device will begin the updates for BIOS. Ensure that the AC adapter isn’t unplugged for as long as the updates are being installed or else the process may get interrupted.
- In case your Asus laptop restarts, allow it to do so without causing any interference.
- Once the updates have been installed, the default settings of BIOS have to be loaded.
After this, the black screen on the laptop of Asus should get repaired. Your device will power on as usual and normally work.
Fix 12: Connect AC Adapter and Wait for 60 Seconds
In a scenario, a message stating “Asus BIOS Update: Easy Flash Utility will allow you to update the latest version of the BIOS. Do not shut down or remove external power from your computer during the process. BIOS update will start in 60 seconds” was observed.
While your Asus laptop boots, this message can appear. The problem of the Asus laptop not turning on with a black screen displayed may be seen after this. In this scenario, you only have to wait for some time. After 60 seconds, your device will auto-update the BIOS. However, you will be suggested to keep the AC adapter attached to your Asus laptop to ensure that no interferences are made during the auto-update process.
Fix 13: Download File When No BIOS is Seen on Asus Laptop
In some situations, a message stating “Please Follow the Steps Below to Recover Your BIOS” can be found when you can witness the Asus laptop black screen, no BIOS error. This message will also provide certain instructions. After your Asus laptop has started the booting process and a similar message is seen, you can get the BIOS updated for fixing the problem. In this case, the BIOS file will have to be downloaded from the official support site of Asus. The action will have to be completed on another system and the file will have to be placed in the root directory of your USB flash drive.
There are 8 steps that you need to follow for doing this fix. These steps have been mentioned as follows:
- Visit the support site of Asus from another working system or computer.
- Based on the model of your Asus laptop, the BIOS file has to be downloaded.
- The BIOS file needs to be placed under the “USB Flash Drive’s” root directory.
Please Note: The formatted type of your USB Flash Drive needs to be “FAT32”.
- Turn off your Asus laptop.
- Push the “Power” key for at least 15 seconds. Ensure that the LED indicator for “Power” goes off.
- Now, insert “USB Flash Drive” that is carrying the downloaded BIOS file.
- Check that the AC adapter has been connected to your laptop.
- Now, start your laptop. After doing so, the updates for BIOS will resume on their own.
Fix 14: Remove Cables, Battery, External Devices and Hard Reset Asus Laptop
If your brand new Asus laptop shows a black screen, you can remove the cables connected to it. Along with that, you can remove the battery as well as the connected external devices. After this, you can head to hard reset your device by tapping the Power key for at least 40 seconds. After this, the removed parts can be installed or positioned again. Now, when you start over your brand new laptop, the Asus black screen error shouldn’t persist.
- Ensure that the correct AC power adapter and cord are being used.
- See to it that the adapter isn’t loosely plugged in.
- Check the adapter’s cable for any damages. In case they are seen, use another adapter.
- External devices that are portable like USB, HDMI, memory card, CD-ROM, internet cable, etc., have to be removed.
- Remove any expansions of your device’s memory or hard drive which existed before seeing the issue.
- If your laptop’s battery is removable, remove it. Then plug in the AC adapter.
Please Note: In case your Asus laptop’s battery isn’t removable, you will not have to perform the sixth step.
- Plug out the adapter.
- Press the “Power” key for about 40 seconds for hard-resetting it.
- Place the battery again, if removed in the sixth step.
- Plugin the adapter once again.
- Finally, restart the device.
Tips to Prevent Asus Laptop Black Screen
Asus laptop black screen no BIOS error is a common problem that you are likely to encounter. We presented you with many fixes to troubleshoot this problem. We thought you will really benefit from knowing some tips as well to prevent this error again in the future. Let’s go through these tips now.
- Install a suitable antivirus in your Asus laptop. It will keep away any bugs or threats that can cause this error.
- Always shut down your Asus laptop properly. Some users often shut down their devices hastily. Doing this can easily give rise to the Asus laptop black screen with a cursor.
- The third most important tip is to ensure the environment of the place where you are keeping or using your Asus laptop. A moist environment can harm your computer by affecting it with this black screen of death problem.
In Asus laptops, the black screen issue can commonly arise. This is a temporary problem that can occur when there are issues with the battery, cables, adapter, etc. Even the peripheral devices attached to your laptop can generate bugs that may cause the screen to turn black. Several fixes were gathered in this blog to work on these causes and eliminate the black screen issue. Hopefully, the Asus laptop troubleshooting black screen issue will have been resolved by now and the device will be working like it normally does. Do make use of the tips we shared to avoid seeing such a problem again.
Take a peek at the solutions for the Asus laptop sound not working problem too. It has all the latest solutions to resolve the problem quickly.