TurboTax is used extensively for filing taxes. However, it might sometimes witness the TurboTax 8889 error. This runtime error generally occurs when this accounting program crashes.
If you have no clue about the TurboTax form 8889 error, we will explain you in the following guide:
- What is TurboTax Form 8889 Error
- 7 Way to Rectify TurboTax Form 8889 Error
- Way 1: End Task in Task Manager
- Way 2: Uninstall the Conflicting Programs
- Uninstall Software on Windows 10
- Uninstall Software on Windows 8 and 8.1
- Uninstall Software on Windows 7
- Way 3: Upgrade Virus Program
- Way 4: Install the Runtime Libraries Again
- Way 5: Free Up Space for Disc
- Way 6: Reinstall the Windows Graphic Drivers
- Way 7: Configure the Internet Settings
What is TurboTax Form 8889 Error
When TurboTax crashes while it is running, your computer screen displays an error form 8889. However, the error is not tough to handle, it affects your action that you were taking while filing the tax or form in TurboTax software.
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can also be another aspect that caused the TurboTax 8889 error. According to the Internal Revenue Service, one should prepare Form 8889 before one contributes to the Health Saving Account (HSA) with the tax return.
Form 8889 reports the deductible contributions and calculates them. It also reports the distribution for the charge of medical expenses and calculates it.
If there are some issues with the software, you might not be able to perform your task. Also, the constant message can annoy you at times. Moreover, it does not let you file taxes properly because the software keeps failing to run.
Causes of TurboTax 8889 Error
The primary cause of this error is conflicts with other programs. However, there can be several reasons that you are facing form error 8889. A few of the possible causes are listed below:
- Incompatible programs are running in the background.
- Viruses may also cause infection to your PC.
- Old MS Visual C++ package
- Low disc space
- Outdated or corrupted graphics drivers.
- Wrong internet settings
These could be the possible factors of facing errors while running TurboTax software. Now that you know about the error and its causes, you can implement the methods accordingly.
7 Way to Rectify TurboTax Form 8889 Error
TurboTax 8889 error can be resolved by using basic troubleshooting methods. Since the error occurs due to the conflicts of incompatible programs so you can end certain tasks that are running in the background. This will fix the run time error.
However, if the error still persists then you can reinstall the conflicting programs, update antivirus programs, reinstall the RunTime Libraries, clean up the Disc, reinstall graphic drivers, and adjust internet settings.
In the following discussion, we will show you a step by step guide so that you don’t mess up with the procedure. Let’s get started!
Way 1: End Task in Task Manager
Programs that are running in the background can create conflicts between other programs. Hence, you encounter runtime errors while using TurboTax software. To deal with such situations, you can simply close the conflicting programs.
This can be done via Task Manager. To understand the procedure, you can go through the steps mentioned below:
- Use the “Ctrl + Alt + Del” key combination to open “Task Manager”.
- When you see all the list of running programs, click on the “Processes” tab.
- Then, stop the running programs (that you find problematic) one by one. For this, you can simply highlight the running program and hit the “End Process” option.
Note: You need to notice if the error popups on your screen when you end the process in the Task Manager.
As you follow these steps and identify which program is causing trouble, you can reinstall that application on your computer. Thereafter, you can try running TurboTax software. If it still causes problems, you can continue following our next method.
Way 2: Uninstall the Conflicting Programs
If you find any software application that is causing issues to your TurboTax software or your computer then you can simply remove those programs. Later, you can reinstall the removed software on your computer. This may solve the error smoothly.
Now, the software programs can be uninstalled via Control Panel. So, if you use Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7, you can uninstall programs using the following instructions:
Uninstall Software on Windows 10
- Click on the “Start” icon located at the bottom left.
- Browse the program you want to uninstall from the “All Apps” list.
- Hover your mouse over that app, click right to choose the “Uninstall” option
- Once you enter the “Programs and Features” window, scroll down to locate an appropriate app.
- Then, select the “Uninstall” button.
Uninstall Software on Windows 8 and 8.1
- Click on the “Start” icon located at the bottom left or press the “Windows” key on your keyboard.
- Find the app that you want to uninstall.
- Once found, click right on it and choose the “Uninstall” button.
- Once you enter the “Programs and Features” window, scroll down to locate an appropriate app.
- Click on the “Uninstall/Change” option and follow the on-screen instructions.
Uninstall Software on Windows 7
- Click on the “Start” button.
- Go to the “Control Panel”.
- Click on the “Programs”
- Then, go to “Programs and Features” and locate the program that you wish to remove.
- Hit the “Uninstall” button.
Based on your Windows version, you can follow these steps in order to remove a particular program. Thereafter, you can restart your device and reinstall the program on your Windows computer.
Way 3: Upgrade Virus Program
If you use the antivirus software programs then you should check their latest update. Outdated features of the program can cause unwanted errors. Therefore, it is important to check for the latest updates. If you find the updates then you can download and install them properly.
Once your antivirus program is upgraded, you can run the program to scan your system. By doing so, you can detect malware attacks and remove the threats that may deceive your system.
Way 4: Install the Runtime Libraries Again
There can be instances when you face TurboTax form 8889 error due to the old MS Visual C++ package. If it is not completely installed on your system then you can uninstall it and install a new one. For this, you can follow the steps stated below:
- In the Windows search bar, type “Control Panel”.
- Click on the “Control Panel” when it appears in the result.
- Now, go to the “Uninstall a program”.
- Find the “Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package” in the list of all programs.
- Hit the “Uninstall” button located on the top.
After following these steps, you can reboot your computer. Thereafter, you can install the new package from Microsoft. This can resolve the TurboTax 8889 error on your computer.
Way 5: Free Up Space for Disc
TurboTax 8889 error can also arise due to the low disc space. Therefore, in this method, we will run Disk Cleanup on your Windows computer
Before you move forward, you should back up your system files. Now, let’s make some space in the following steps:
- In the Windows search bar, type “Disk Cleanup”.
- Click on the “Disk Cleanup” when it appears in the list.
- Choose the drive you prefer to clean up.
- Hit the “OK” button.
- Now, under the “Files to delete” section, choose the file types you wish to remove.
- Select the “OK” button.
In case you wish to free a little more space then you can also clear the cache and remove the system files. Once you are done clearing the disk space, you can reboot your system. This will possibly let you run the TurboTax software with no interruption.
Way 6: Reinstall the Windows Graphic Drivers
Due to the outdated Graphics Drivers, the tax-related process can be interrupted. Therefore, you should check your graphics driver in case they are corrupted.
If you find the drivers corrupted then you should uninstall them and install a new one. Here are the steps for uninstalling the graphic driver on your Windows system.
- Open the “Device Manager” on your computer.
- Search for the “Graphics driver”.
- Click on the “Video card driver”.
- Then, hit the “Uninstall” option.
After you uninstall the driver successfully, you can restart your system. Thereafter, you can browse the new graphics driver for your Windows version and install it on your computer. But remember that the version of drivers you are installing is compatible with your system version.
Way 7: Configure the Internet Settings
If the TurboTax 8889 error is linked with Internet Explorer then you should configure the Internet Options. In the following discussion, we will reset the internet browser and disable script debugging. Let’s know how to do that.
Way 7.1: Reset Your Web Browser
- On Windows 10 & 8, click on the search bar to type “Internet Options”.
- Then, switch to the “Advanced” tab.
- Click the “Reset” button.
- Windows 7 users can click on the “Start” menu.
- Search for the “Control Panel”.
- Go to the “Internet Options” located on the left.
- Click on the “Advanced” tab.
- Hit the “Reset” button.
Way 7.2: Disable Script Debugging
- On the “Internet Options” window, switch to the “Advanced” tab.
- Search for the “Disable script debugging”.
- Place the checkmark on a “Radio” icon.
- Also, deselect the “Display a Notification about Every Script Error” option.
- Click the “Apply” and “OK” button.
After adjusting these internet settings, you can reboot your system. Thereafter, you can check if you find any errors related to the TurboTax form 8889 error.
TurboTax 8889 error is not stubborn at all. You can fix this error by understanding its cause. Although it may arise due to conflicts with other programs, HSA can also be the reason that you encounter form 8889 error.
With the help of this guide, you must have known about the TurboTax form 8889 error, causes, symptoms, and several methods to fix it.
To resolve the error, you can close the conflict programs, reinstall the conflicting programs, update antivirus programs, reinstall the RunTime Libraries, clean up the Disc, reinstall graphic drivers, and adjust internet settings.
These methods will surely fix the error. Thereafter, you can run TurboTax software to perform your tax-related tasks.
In case your TurboTax software is bothered by other errors such as TurboTax error code 36 then you can read this guide to discover effective solutions.