The users of Windows 10 and Windows 7 are the most likely to encounter the error code 0xc00000e9 on their systems. While some of you may be experiencing this error right now, others may be bothered by this error at a later point. Knowing the causes and fixes of error code 0xc00000e9 Windows 10 and Windows 7 will be beneficial. So, in this post, we will be sharing different causes and troubleshooting measures for the error status 0xc00000e9 Windows 7 and Windows 10. Let’s read on!
What does 0xc00000e9 Mean?
The error 0xc00000e9 is a known blue screen of death (BSOD) error that occurs on Windows 7 and Windows 10 computers. It is a hardware error pertaining to your computer’s BIOS settings. The error code 0xc00000e9 usually occurs during the Windows startup. The blue screen also comes with the message “The Windows have encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer”.
What are the Causes of Error Code 0xc00000e9?
An understanding of the causes of the 0xc00000e9 Windows 10 and Windows 7 will make it simpler to resolve this error. So, let us now learn about its causes.
1. The chief cause of this Windows error code is a removable storage device that has not been plugged correctly.
2. When your Windows syste m has faulty hardware, then the chances are high that you will encounter this error code on your computer.
3. Any fault with the external hardware can cause several errors, including the error 0xc00000e9.
4. In case the I/O ports get damaged in your PC, this error code can bug your machine.
5. Always check that there are no corrupted system files in your Windows 10 or Windows 7 computer. In case there are, then you will find this error on your machine.
6. At times, there may be interference caused when you are updating the Windows on your PC. This interference can be the sixth big cause of the 0xc00000e9 error.
How to Fix 0xc00000e9 on Windows?
For Windows users, here are some general fixes to eliminate error 0xc00000e9 on your computer. These general fixes include checking the hardware compatibility, changing the BIOS settings, updating the system drivers, and lastly, running the disk check on your Windows computer.
Fix 1: Check Hardware Compatibility of Your Windows Computer
Checking the hardware compatibility of your Windows computer is one quick way of troubleshooting the error message 0xc00000e9. Find the 3 steps of this method right here.
1. Disconnect all the external devices connected to your PC, except your mouse and keyboard.
2. Then restart your Windows computer.
3. Now, check if the error has been resolved.
Fix 2: Change BIOS Settings of Your Windows Computer
The second fix for the message “file Windows system32 config system error code 0xc00000e9” involves changing the BIOS settings. For those of you who wish to learn the steps for changing the BIOS settings, you can scroll down and find them.
1. Shut down your Windows computer.
2. Press the “Power” button to reboot your computer.
3. Press “ESC”/”F2”/”F12” or “Delete” key to enter the BIOS settings.
4. Once you enter the “BIOS Setup Utility” screen, go to the “Boot options”.
5. Make sure that the “Hard drive” is the first boot device or else move it to the top.
6. Save the changes and reboot your computer.
Fix 3: Update Drivers on Windows Computer
Updating the drivers of your system regularly not only provides you new and smart features but also eliminates multiple errors. When the system drivers have not been updated, the Windows error 0xc00000e9 can affect your Windows computer. So, you should ensure that your Windows computer has all the latest driver updates.
Fix 4: Run Disk Check of Your Windows Computer
When you run a disk check on your Windows computer, you are able to troubleshoot multiple problems. By running the disk check, you can also troubleshoot the Windows error code 0xc00000e9. Check out the 6 steps to run the disk check on your system.
1. Boot your Windows computer into “Safe Mode”.
2. In the search box, type “cmd”.
3. Right-click on “Command Prompt” and click on “Run as administrator”.
4. Click on “Yes” to confirm.
5. Now, type in “chkdsk/f/r” and press “Enter”.
6. Press the “Y” letter key to complete the process.
How to Fix 0xc00000e9 on Windows 7?
We have 5 tried and tested fixes for Windows 7 boot bcd error 0xc00000e9. From removing the external devices and running the disk check to checking the SATA cable to changing the BIOS settings, we are going to try all of these methods to get the error out of your Windows 7 computer.
Fix 1: Remove External Devices from Windows 7 Computer
The simplest fix for clearing away the error status 0xc00000e9 Windows 7 from your system is to remove all the external devices connected to it. Make sure that you do not detach the mouse or the keyboard. Once the devices have been removed, start your system again and see if the problem has been cleared.
Fix 2: Run Disk Check on Windows 7 System
Running the disk check on Windows 10 has proved to be very helpful. It can work great for fixing the error code on your Windows 7 system as well. Using the disk check procedure, you can root out the error status 0xc00000e9 Windows 7 in just 9 steps.
1. Inserting the “Windows installation disk” is the first step.
2. Now, restart your Windows 7 system.
3. Boot your computer using the “Windows installation disk”
4. Select the “Language” as per your choice.
5. Now, click on “Repair your computer”.
6. You will be asked to select the operating system you would like to repair.
Note: The option to choose the operating system that you want to repair will be provided to you when you have more than one operating system on the hard disk.
7. When the “System Recovery Options” menu appears, select “Open Command Prompt”.
8. Enter the command “chkdsk/f” and hit the “Enter” key,
9. Your Windows 7 system will be scanned. Then you will be required to restart your system to finish the procedure.
Fix 3: Check that SATA Cable is Working for Windows 7 Computer
Sometimes, the 0xc00000e9 error Windows 7 can emerge when you are using an old SATA cable for your computer. When the SATA cable is old, the rate of data transferring may not be good enough. Thus, you will find such an error on your system. So, how should you check that the SATA cable is working finely? You can follow the 5 steps shown here to check it.
1. Shut down your Windows 7 computer.
2. Open the machine to access the hard drive. Also, find out the SATA port.
3. Replace the SATA cable with a new one.
4. The next step is to restart the computer.
5. Check whether the install Windows 7 error 0xc00000e9 has been removed.
Fix 4: Make Changes to BIOS Settings of Windows 7 Computer
As you would know, making some changes to the BIOS settings can be a great solution for fixing this error. So, we will now guide you with changing these settings. Interestingly, for executing this fix, you will not need any Windows 7 0xc00000e9 error repair tool. The 6 steps of this have been provided below.
1. Restart your machine.
2. Tap the “Del”/”F2”/F10” key to enter the “BIOS settings”.
3. Choose the option of “Load Optimal Defaults”.
4. In the “Advanced” section, go to the configuration settings for the hard disk.
5. Ensure that the setting has been configured to “IDE”/”AHCI”.
6. Lastly, save the changes made to the settings and then reboot your machine.
Fix 5: Restore Your Windows 7 System
Now, let us take a look at the procedure for system restore to wipe off the Windows 7 file boot bcd error 0xc00000e9. In this procedure, you will be required to choose a date to which you can restore your computer. When the restoration is complete, this error code will have been fixed. This procedure is only 5 steps long.
1. Access the “Startup Repair” window on your computer.
2. Now, you have to select “View advanced options for system recovery and support”.
3. Click on the option of “System Restore”.
4. Choose a past date to which you would like to restore your Windows 7 computer.
5. Wait for the “System Restore” to be over. Then you can use your system without encountering any error.
How to Fix 0xc00000e9 on Windows 10?
Since the Windows 10 users face this error more on their systems, we have 9 awesome fixes to resolve this problem permanently. To fix the Windows 10 0xc00000e9 error, we will try to identify the faulty external devices that may be causing this problem. We will also reboot your computer, update the OS, repair the corrupted system files, search for any malware, check out the advanced startup feature, and a lot more.
Fix 1: Check External Devices Connected to Your Windows 10 Computer
Encountering the error 0xc00000e9 Windows 10 is a usual problem. And a faulty external device is one of the causes of this Windows 10 error code. So, in this fix, we will teach you how to check all the external devices, identify the faulty one, and then update the driver for it. For this fix, you have to perform only 6 steps.
1. Detach the external devices, except the mouse and keyboard, that have been connected to your Windows 10 computer.
2. The second step is to reboot your system.
3. Now, sign in to your computer again.
4. Attach the external devices which you had disconnected in step 1. Make sure that you connect one device at a time. This will allow you to identify which device is causing the error code.
5. When you find the device that is generating the error code, open the “Device Manager” on your computer.
6. Update the driver for the device that is causing the problem and the error will be fixed.
Fix 2: Reboot Windows 10 Computer into Safe Mode
The next fix for Windows 10 0xc00000e9 error requires you to reboot your PC into the “Safe Mode”. Rebooting in this mode means to start your computer with only the necessary drivers and in the basic state. Many of you may already be familiar with the process of rebooting your PC. In case you get stuck at any step of the process, you can look at our 11 steps given in this section.
1. Turn on your Windows 10 PC.
2. Click on “Start”.
3. Click on the “Power” icon on the left.
4. Now, holding the “Shift” key, click on the option of “Restart”.
5. When you land on the “Choose an option” screen, click on “Troubleshoot”.
6. Then click on “Advanced options”.
7. Continue and tap on “Startup Settings”.
8. The eighth step is to click on “Restart”.
9. Tap the “F4”/”F5” key when your Windows 10 computer has restarted. Doing so will reboot your computer in the “Safe Mode”.
10. Then exit the “Safe Mode”.
11. In case the Windows 10 boot bcd 0xc00000e9 error does not resolve, restart your computer normally.
Fix 3: Update Windows on Your Windows 10 Computer
When was the last time you installed the updates for your Windows 10 computer? If you didn’t, now is the time to update Windows. Follow the little 4-step procedure mentioned here to settle the Windows 10 boot error 0xc00000e9 code within minutes.
1. Open the “Windows settings” on your Windows 10 computer.
2. The second step is to click on “Update and Security”.
3. Now, tap the option of “Update”.
4. Once your Windows 10 system has been updated, ensure that the 0xc00000e9 has been cleared.
Fix 4: Find and Repair Corrupted Files on Windows 10
In this section, we have presented a fix for the message “Windows system32 config system error code 0xc00000e9” in which we will repair the corrupted system files. For this, we will use the Command Prompt. It will scan the system, find out the corrupted system files, and then repair them immediately.
1. Start your Windows 10 computer.
2. Tap the “Windows” key and “R” key at the same time.
3. When the “Run” dialog box opens, type in “cmd” to open the “Command Prompt”.
4. Provide the command “sfc/scanner” in the “Command Prompt” window and then press “Enter”.
5. Restarting your Windows 10 computer is the final step.
Fix 5: Reset and Restore Your Windows 10 System
There are a number of errors that require you to reset and restore your computer in order to troubleshoot them. For the Windows 10 installation error 0xc00000e9 code as well, this approach will work excellently. Let us now head to read the 4 steps of this fix.
1. Open the “Windows settings” on your PC.
2. Click on the option of “Update ad Security”.
3. The third step is to click on “Recovery”.
4. Tap “Reset this PC” and the procedure will be complete.
Fix 6: Run Startup Repair on Windows 10 Computer
In this part of the blog, you will chance upon a guaranteed solution for the Windows 10 winload exe error 0xc00000e9. Here you will learn the steps to perform a startup repair. Before you perform it, you should have your hands on a bootable USB flash drive. Now, read the 14 steps provided as follows.
1. Begin with starting your computer.
2. When you see the “Windows logo”, tap the “Power” button.
3. Now, perform the above-mentioned steps twice.
4. Now, “Advanced Startup” will open on your computer.
5. Use a bootable “USB flash drive” for starting your computer. Then press “Next”.
6. Tap the link for “Repair your computer” at the bottom.
7. When the “Desktop” is available, go to “Settings”.
8. Go to “Update and Security”.
9. Tap “Recovery”.
10. Tap “Restart now” in the “Advanced startup” section.
11. Now, press the “Troubleshoot” button.
12. Press the button for “Advanced options”.
13. Then tap the “Startup Repair” button.
14. You will be required to choose your account and enter its password. Then press “Continue”. At the end of the step, the Windows 10 error code will have been wiped off for sure.
Fix 7: Check for Malware on Windows 10 Computer
Many-a-times, when you see the message “Windows system32 config system Windows 7 0xc00000e9” on your computer, there may be a virus causing the problem. You can use the antivirus program installed on your computer to check for the virus or any malware. The antivirus program will help you kill that virus and bring back the error-free state of your computer.
Fix 8: Use Advanced Startup Feature on Windows 10
In this fix, you can explore how to use the Advanced Startup feature for troubleshooting the Windows error 0xc00000e9. Take a look at the 6 steps for administering this fix.
1. On the “Charms bar”, left-click for the “Settings”.
2. In the “Settings menu”, locate “Change PC Settings” and left-click on it.
3. Then click on “Update and Recovery”.
4. Look for the “Advanced Startup” feature on the left. Then press the “Restart” button.
5. Your computer will now reboot. You will get access to the “Advanced Startup”. You will be shown a set of instructions on your screen. Follow the instructions for completing the remaining procedure.
6. Lastly, reboot your computer.
Note: In case you have the “Windows Media Disk”, you can insert that and get immediate access to the “Automatic Repair” feature.
Fix 9: Repair MBR via Windows PE on Windows 10
On rare occasions, when the Windows OS has not been properly installed, the Master Boot Record or MBR will also not get correctly set. With the help of the Windows Preinstallation Environment or PE, you can fix this problem and thereby resolve the Windows error 0xc00000e9 as well.
1. The first step is to connect your Windows 10 computer to a hard drive/external hard drive with the “Windows Preinstallation Environment”.
2. Now, run the “Windows Preinstallation Environment”.
3. The third step is to ensure that “Disk C” has been set as the “Master Boot Record”.
4. Now, you have to reboot your Windows 10 system.
5. Finally, reinstall the Windows on your computer.
This blog can work wonders in troubleshooting the 0xc00000e9 error on your Windows 10 as well as Windows 7 systems. We hope each of these fixes helps you settle this error once and for all. If this blog was helpful for you, try reading our other guides as well. Our post on Microsoft Windows 10 upgrade is one of the best guides on the web. And our fixes for Windows error code 0xc0000225 are really promising. Tap now to read!