What Does the Discord App do?
Discord app helps to communicate during gaming sessions. To make communication easier within parties, users install this app on their devices. However, a lot of users have been facing issues with the Discord installation process. If you see the “Discord Installation Failed” error on Windows 10 PC then you can resolve it by following our guide. Let’s learn how to fix Discord installation has failed error with easy solutions.
In this particular guide, you will discover the causes of the “Discord installation failed” error and methods to get rid of this.
- What Does the Discord App do?
- Causes of Discord Setup Installation has Failed Error
- How to Fix Discord Installation has Failed Error with Easy Solutions?
- Method 1: Delete Local Data
- Method 2: Install Microsoft .NET Framework
- Method 3: Disable Antivirus Software
- Method 4: Set Discord Compatibility
- Method 5: Remove Recent Windows Update
- Method 6: Disable Firewall
- Method 7: Disable Windows Defender Virus and Threat Protection
- Method 8: Update Device Drivers
- Method 9: Disable VPN
- Method 10: Try Different Device
Causes of Discord Setup Installation has Failed Error
If Discord failed to install on your Windows 10 computer, it happens due to certain reasons. A few of the reasons are listed below:
- Corrupt Local Data: If you uninstalled the Discord app earlier, some local files must be stored on the system (against your profile). These local files often create issues when you reinstall the Discord app on your PC.
- Antivirus Software: If you are using the Antivirus programs on your computer, it might be blocking installations from certain apps due to which installation has failed for Discord app.
- MS .NET Framework: Discord requires you to have Microsoft.NET framework installed on your PC. In case, it is not present, this might create conflict installing the Discord on Windows 10.
These can be the major causes behind this error. However, there can be other reasons that cause issues with the Discord installation process. Therefore, in this guide, we will provide the best solutions through which you can get rid of this error. Then, you can install the Discord app on your device with no errors.
How to Fix Discord Installation has Failed Error with Easy Solutions?
Installing the Discord is not hard on Windows 10. However, due to minor issues, you might fail to install it successfully on your computer. Therefore, we bring you effective solutions to fix the problem.
If you find any error related to Discord such as “Discord installation has failed on Windows 10” then the troubleshooting steps are needed to perform. You can implement the following methods on your Windows 10 and install the Discord app successfully. Let’s get into it.
Note: Before we move on, make sure you are logged in as the administrator on the Windows 10 computer or laptop. You should also have an active internet connection with no VPNs and proxy settings.
Method 1: Delete Local Data
As noted earlier, storing the local data on your PC can prevent Discord from installing on it. This is because the Discord app makes registry entries and local data folders. If these are already present on your system, it would not overwrite them. As a result, it displays a “Discord installation failed” error.
To deal with this problem, you should first delete the local data entirely from your computer. Here, we will delete the local folders and data manually.
- Press the “Windows” + “R” key on your keyboard. This will launch the “Run” dialog box.
- Type “taskmgr” in the search bar.
- Press the “Enter” key.
- In the “Task Manager” window, locate any process that is running Discord.
- Then, right-click on each task and choose the “End task” option.
- Now, open the “Run” dialog box again using “Windows” + “R” keys.
- Then, type “%LocalAppData%” in the text field.
- Press the “Enter” key.
- Find a folder name with Discord and right-click on it.
- Choose the “Delete” button.
Once you are done implementing these steps, you can restart your computer. The local files and data linked with the Discord app must be removed from your system. Now, you can try installing the Discord app again on Windows 10. In case, it still shows the “Discord installation has failed” error, try installing the MS .NET framework.
Method 2: Install Microsoft .NET Framework
Microsoft .NET framework is required when you install the Discord app on Windows 10. Generally, the .NET framework is installed on your PC automatically. In case, it is not present (because you migrated the disk or due to other administrative issues) then you can install it by following the steps instructed below:
Note: This method requires Archiving software downloaded on your PC such as 7- ZIP or WinRAR.
- Visit the official Microsoft website.
- Download the .NET Framework that should be executable to the accessible location.
- Then, click right on the executable and choose the “Run as administrator” option.
Once the installation process is complete, you can restart your PC. Thereafter, you can check if you can install a Discord app on your PC.
If you still find the error: Discord installation has failed then check setup log for the Discord app. For that, you can look through the following steps:
- Right-click on your “Discord Installer”.
- Click on the “7-Zip” to view more options.
- Then, select the “Extract to DiscordSetup” option from the menu. This will create a new folder.
- Now, open the Local Disk C and then move the “DiscordSetup” folder in that.
- Open the “DiscordSetup” folder and find the file with “Discord-0.0.300-full.nupkg”. The version number of Discord may be different than 0.0.300 (if you install the new release).
- Right-click on this and click on “Extract” in the same directory.
- Go through the following path:
DiscordSetup > Discord-0.0.300-full > lib > net45
- Here you will discover the Discord app; click right on it and select the “Run as administrator” option.
You will notice that the Discord app is launching with no errors. This is how you can install MS .NET Framework and install the Discord successfully. If it does not help, you can then move the installation folder manually.
Method 3: Disable Antivirus Software
Third-party Antivirus programs often block installation for several applications. If your Antivirus software does not allow certain actions to execute then you can disable the software temporarily. If disabling does not help then you can remove the software. Later you can download the desired Antivirus program on your computer once Discord is installed successfully.
Method 4: Set Discord Compatibility
Another reason that the installation has failed for Discord is the compatibility issues. If Discord installation is not compatible with Windows 10 then you might see an error while downloading it. For that, you need to make sure that you set compatibility settings for the Discord. Below are the following instructions one can follow.
- Right-click on your “Discord” app icon.
- Select the “Troubleshoot compatibility” option.
- When you see the “Program Compatibility Troubleshooter” window, click on “Troubleshoot program”.
- Then, check the box that says “The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won’t install or run now”.
- Click on the “Next” button.
- Set the custom compatibility to “Windows 8 or 7”.
- Click on “Test the program”.
- Hit the “Next” button.
- Then, try installing Discord. If things go right, select the “Yes, save these settings for this program” option.
- In case, Discord failed to install then choose this ”No, try again using different settings” option. Then, set some other Windows version.
This is how you can check the compatibility. Once you find the compatible Windows version, you can continue using it and close the troubleshooter.
Method 5: Remove Recent Windows Update
If you are finding issues with the installation process then try uninstalling the Windows update to install Discord or stop the windows updates. There are chances that you can get rid of this “Discord setup installation has failed” error.
- Click on the “Start” button.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Click on “Windows Update” under the “Update and Security”.
- Select the “View update history” option.
- Click on “Uninstall an update” This will pop-up a new window.
- Now, look for the recent update and right-click on it to choose the “Uninstall” option.
Since you have uninstalled the recent updates of Windows, you can now install Discord on your system. This must resolve your issues.
Method 6: Disable Firewall
If Discord installation failed on Windows 10, there are chances that Windows Firewall denied the internet access for the Discord application. In this scenario, you can disable the Firewall temporarily and try installing Discord on Windows 10. Below are the following steps for disabling the Windows Firewall.
- Click on the “Start” located on the bottom left.
- Type “Firewall” in the search bar.
- After you launch the “Firewall” window, click on “Firewall and Network Protection”.
- Now, click on the connection type you are currently using.
- Now, uncheck the option: “Block all incoming connections” in order to disable firewall options.
Now that you have disabled the Windows Firewall, try installing the Discord app on your Windows 10 PC. If it fails to install then you should disable the Windows Defender entirely. Read more in the next method.
Method 7: Disable Windows Defender Virus and Threat Protection
There are instances when Windows Defender blocks the activity of Discord. It happens because Windows Defender marks this app as a malicious app and prevents installing it. As a result, you are unable to install Discord on your system.
If you run into a problem where Discord failed to install, you should disable the Windows Defender options. Let’s know how to do that in the following steps:
- Click on the “Start” button.
- Type “Windows Security” in the search bar.
- Then, go to the “Virus and Threat Protection”.
- Under the “Virus and Threat protection”, click on the “Manage Settings” option.
- Here, click on the “Disable Real-time Protection” option.
Once done, the Windows Defender will be disabled successfully on Windows 10 PC. Thereafter, you can try installing the Discord app on your computer.
Method 8: Update Device Drivers
Outdated or missing drivers can also create conflict with the Discord installation. If you encounter a “discord installation failed” error then you should update your device drivers.
In addition, you should update the drivers for your sound card and graphic card. This will make your experience better while playing games.
Method 9: Disable VPN
If the Discord app keeps on failing to install, you need to make sure that you disable the VPN services. This is because the VPN can change the IP address and your location. This may result in discord installation has failed on Windows 10 because your region is being mismatched.
Therefore, you should disable VPN if you are using it during the Discord installation process. Once you disable VPN, you can end the task of Discord from the Task Manager. Then, you can restart the Discord installation process.
Method 10: Try Different Device
Sometimes, you do not understand the real issue on your system. If that is the case then you can try installing the Discord app using another device. If the Discord gets installed easily, this will clear the idea that your system has some issues due to which you are facing this “discord installation failed” error.
By following the methods we discussed above, you would surely get rid of installation errors. Afterward, you can install the Discord app facing no errors on Windows 10.
Here are a couple of suggestions to install the Discord app:
- When you install the Discord app on Windows 10, make sure that you have a strong internet connection. Due to poor internet connectivity, the Discord app may fail to get installed on your device.
- Also, make sure that the Discord website is working properly. Because if the Discord service goes offline, you might not be able to install the app. As a result, it indicates that installation has failed for Discord app.
Discord (VOIP) app is used by the gaming communities. However, users often fail to install the app on their devices due to certain reasons. If you are willing to use the Discord app but failing to do so then you should find the error and fix it.
Here, we have provided you the best reasons that cause this error. In addition, we gave you the effective methods that you can implement on your computer. Deleting the local data saves you from this error. In addition, you can set the compatibility for Discord, disable Antivirus, Firewall, and Windows Defender. This will allow the Discord app to get downloaded uninterruptedly.
Want to solve more about Windows 10 problems? Don’t miss out on these guides that may be very helpful for you.