“My PC is restarting automatically Windows 10” is what many Windows users tell us. If you have the same problem to share, then you will be pleased to know that the troubleshooting measures are ready. We have fetched 12 brilliant methods that will troubleshoot this problem quickly. Each of the methods for Windows 10 disable automatic restart has been explained excellently here.
At the end of this post, the problem of Windows 10 automatic restart scheduled will have been solved forever.
Why PC Restarts Automatically Windows 10?
The answer to “Why my computer restart automatically Windows 10” is that your computer may be having corrupted drivers. In addition to that, your Windows 10 system may have been affected by malware. At times, faulty hardware can also cause your computer to restart often, thus not letting you work uninterrupted.
The Windows 10 automatic restart problem can also hint at certain problems with the programs recently installed or any changes made to your system. Whatever be the causes, we know how you can fix the issue. Hop on to the next section to know.
How to Stop Automatic Restart Windows 10?
If your PC restarts automatically Windows 10, you can perform the following 12 methods to troubleshoot the problem right away. These methods reveal the procedures for booting Windows 10 in safe mode, removing bad registry from the system, and disabling the auto-restart feature. In addition to that, you can also check out the methods for removing malware, repairing the system files, launching the disk scan, etc., to fix this problem on your Windows 10 computer.
Method 1: Boot Windows 10 Computer Using Safe Mode
For Windows 10 disable automatic restart, you can boot your computer in safe mode. This method has worked well for a number of users. Perform the 8 steps given below to find out if this method will work on your computer as well.
1. Restart your Windows 10 computer. While it restarts, continuously press the “F8” key till you see the Windows logo.
2. Once the boot menu appears, select “Safe mode”.
3. Boot your computer using “Safe mode”.
4. Now, go to the “Search box” and type in “sysdm.cpl”.
5. Open “sysdm.cpl” from the search results and navigate to “Advanced”.
6. Click on “Settings” under the “Startup and recovery” option.
7. Uncheck the checkbox for “Automatically restart”.
8. Now, click on “Ok” and again restart your Windows 10 computer.
Method 2: Remove Bad Registry on Windows 10 Computer
To stop Windows 10 automatic restart, you can remove the bad registry from your computer. This method can be administered in only 10 steps. So, let us continue to read.
1. Go to “Start” and click on “Run”.
2. Type “regedit” to open “Registry Editor”.
3. Go to the following location.
4. Back up your registry key before proceeding further to avoid unexpected errors. For this, go to “File” and click on the “Export” button. Choose a backup name and save it in a safe location.
5. Next, scan the “ProfileList IDs” and delete the ones with “ProfileImagePath” found in it.
6. Then exit “Registry Editor” and reboot your computer.
Method 3: Try Disabling Auto Restart on Windows 10 Computer
For Windows 10 disable automatic restart 2018, you can make use of the advanced system settings of your computer. In this section, we have described this method in just 7 steps. Let us take a look.
1. Go to the “Control panel” on your Windows 10 computer.
2. Click on “System and security”.
3. Then click on “System”.
4. Choose the option of “Advanced system settings”.
5. Then in the “Startup and Recovery” section, head on to tap “Settings”.
6. Ensure that the checkbox for “Automatically restart” has not been selected in the “System failure”. Then press “Ok”.
7. Again press “Ok” and the window will get closed.
Method 4: Check for Malware on Windows 10 Computer
Sometimes your PC will automatically restart in one-minute Windows 10. This can happen due to the presence of malware on your computer. We will suggest you run a malware scan on your Windows 10 computer. An anti-malware scanner app can help you for this purpose. The anti-malware scanner app will also fix the problem and prevent your computer from restarting so often.
Method 5: Try Repairing System Files on Windows 10 Computer
There have been instances wherein the Windows 10 users received the message “Windows 10 your PC will automatically restart in one minute”. A problem with the system files may be causing this message to appear on your Windows 10 computer.
Repairing the system files via the SFC scan can work well in troubleshooting this problem. Below, we have shared the steps for running the SFC scan to fix the damaged system files and remove the problem of the automatic restarting of your Windows 10 computer.
1. On the keyboard of your Windows 10 computer, press the “Windows” key together with the “S” letter key.
2. Type in “CMD” and press the “Enter” key.
3. Open the “Command prompt”. Right-click on it to select “Run as administrator”.
4. Type in “sfc/scannow” and hit the “enter” key.
Quick Note: Now, the SFC scan will begin on your Windows 10 computer. We will advise you to keep the “Windows installation disc” or “Windows repair disc” with you. If required, the disc will help you in replacing the damaged file.
5. When the SFC scan is complete, you will be required to restart your computer. Use it as usual. The issue of automatic restart will not bother you again.
Method 6: Remove System Changes and Recent Programs on Windows 10 Computer
Did you recently install any programs on your Windows 10 computer? Or did you make any changes to your system? It is possible that your Windows 10 computer may be automatically restarting due to these recently installed programs or the system changes made. Therefore, to disable automatic restart on system failure Windows 10, the best suggestion will be to remove the recently installed programs as well as revert any system changes made. The problem of automatic restart will get resolved within minutes.
Method 7: Launch Disk Scan on Windows 10 Computer
Any fault with the hard drive of your Windows 10 computer can cause multiple problems. Your PC getting restarted automatically is one such problem. Running a disk scan can help you detect whether there is any problem with your hard drive. In this section, we will show you how to stop Windows 10 from automatically restarting by running the disk scan in just 5 steps.
1. On your computer, where the Windows has been installed, you have to right-click on the hard drive. Then select “Properties”.
2. Click on the option of “Tools”.
3. Under “Error checking”, click on “Check”.
4. When you see a prompt, click on “Scan drive”.
5. The scanning process will take a few minutes. Then you can use your Windows 10 computer without any problem.
Method 8: Install Windows Updates Manually on Windows 10
When your laptop restarts automatically Windows 10, you can uninstall the existing updates and then install them again manually. Here, we will teach you how to uninstall the existing Windows 10 updates and then reinstall them via the manual approach. You can execute this excellent method in 19 steps.
1. Open the “Control panel” on your Windows 10 computer.
2. Go to “Programs”.
3. Then click on “Programs and features”.
4. Tap the link for “View installed updates” on the left.
5. When the link opens, keep the details of the update that was reinstalled.
6. Right-click on “Update”.
7. Click on “Uninstall”.
8. You will be required to provide admin access. Provide it and then press the “Uninstall” button.
9. Now, restart your Windows 10 computer.
10. Go to “Windows Update” and tap the option of “View update history”.
11. Make a note of the update code. It will be required later.
12. Go to the “Windows updates catalogue”.
13. Access the search bar of the “Windows updates catalogue”.
14. Enter the update code that you noted earlier.
15. Then tap “Enter”.
16. The next step is to press the “Search” button.
17. Now, press the “Download” button next to the update.
18. A pop-up window will be shown. Press the link to download the update.
19. Now, install the update as usual.
When the updated version of Windows has been installed successfully, the problem of Windows 10 update automatic restart will not occur again.
Method 9: Reboot Task to Disable Windows 10 Automatic Restart
You may have selected the option of “Enable” in the task scheduler tool of your Windows 10 computer. This may be the answer to your question “why my PC restart automatically Windows 10”. So, to clear away this problem, we will access the task scheduler tool of your computer and disable this option. Let us learn the exact steps for performing this method.
1. On your Windows 10 computer, open the “Start”.
2. Look for the “Task scheduler” in “Start”.
3. Open the “Task scheduler” tool.
4. Right-click on the tool and click on “Disable”.
5. Now, use your Windows 10 computer and ensure that the issue of automatic restart has been cleared.
Method 10: Try Renaming Reboot File on Windows 10 Computer
Do you know how to fix automatic restart problem in Windows 10 by renaming the reboot file? We can teach you this method. Renaming the reboot file is simple and can be done in just 8 steps. These steps have been mentioned as follows.
1. When your Windows 10 computer is on, go to “Start”.
2. Open the “Run” dialog box.
3. Fill in the command given below and then press the “Enter” key.
4. Click on the “Reboot” file. Make sure that the “Reboot” file without any extension has been selected.
5. Right-click on the “Reboot” file and choose the option of “Rename”.
6. Ensure that the file has been renamed as “Reboot.old”.
7. Now, right-click on this folder. Then choose “New”. Next, tap on “Folder” and rename it.
8. Once the process is over, use your Windows 10 computer. See to it that the problem of automatic restart is not occurring on your computer now.
Quick Note: In case you wish to revert the changes that you have just made, you will be required to go to the “UpdateOrchestrator” folder. Then the “Reboot” folder will have to be deleted. Lastly, you have to rename “Reboot.old” to “Reboot” and the changes will have been undone.
Method 11: Schedule Restart on Windows 10 Computer
In the settings menu of your Windows 10 computer, there is an option of installing the updates automatically. When this option has been selected, your computer may restart multiple times on its own. So, if you are thinking “Why my PC restarts automatically Windows 10”, then you just found your answer. You can switch to the option of schedule restarted from the automatic restart to fix this issue in 4 steps.
1. Open the “Settings” menu on your system.
2. Click on “Update & security”.
3. Then tap “Advanced options”.
4. Access the dropdown menu. Then switch to “Notify to schedule restart”.
Now, you will no more encounter the error of automatic restart schedule Windows 10. Whenever an update is available for your Windows system, you will be notified. You can set up the date and time for installing these updates. And since the updates will not be installed automatically, your system will not restart on its own.
Method 12: Edit Group Policy on Windows 10 Computer
In the last method for how to turn off automatic restart Windows 10, we will show you the use of Edit Group Policy for this purpose. For using the Edit Group Policy to turn off the automatic restart feature, you will need to check out the following 6 steps.
1. Go to “Computer configuration” on your Windows 10 computer.
2. Click on the “Administrative templates”.
3. Now, choose “Windows components”.
4. The fourth step is to click on “Windows update”.
5. Click twice on the option of “No auto-restart”.
6. Next, click on “Enabled” and make sure that you have saved everything before you exit.
Coming to an End
This blog helped with reliable methods for how to stop automatically restart Windows 10 daily. For each of these 12 methods, we have defined the steps clearly. We hope you face no trouble in performing these steps. In case you get stuck, our comment section is always available. Just drop us a comment and we will assist you quickly.