Resetting the Windows 10 password can be complicated for some. Gladly, to lessen your worries and save your time, we have simplified it for you. In this blog, we will be introducing 14 superb methods for Windows 10 password reset. Whether you want to reset admin password Windows 10 or the password of your local Windows 10 account, our methods will be really successful for this purpose.
So, let us read ahead!
How to Reset Admin Password on Windows 10?
In the sections to come, you can learn how to reset the password of your admin Windows 10 account. To help you unlock your admin account, we will try 3 quick methods. We will try answering some security questions, apply the command prompt method, and then make use of the other sign-in options available.
Method 1: How to Reset Administrator Password Windows 10 via Security Questions?
Windows 10 provides you the simple option of resetting your password by answering some security questions related to you. This is one of the methods that takes less time. To reset admin password Windows 10 via the security questions, you can follow these 7 steps.
1. Start your Windows 10 system and enter the “Password” that you remember.
2. You will see the message “The password is incorrect”. Then press the “Ok” button.
3. You will see the option for “Reset password”. Click on this option.
4. A set of “Security questions” will appear on your screen. Fill in the answers for these in the space provided.
5. Now, the password-reset screen will be visible. Create a “New password” and confirm it.
6. Then press the “Submit” button.
7. After the new password has been created, you will see the “Sign-in” screen. Then enter your “New password” to sign in successfully.
Important! :- When you reset admin password Windows 10 by answering the security questions, you need to be sure that the answers you provide are correct. In case the answers entered do not match with the original ones, then this procedure will fail.
Method 2: How to Reset Windows 10 Administrator Password Using Command Prompt?
Here, you can check out the reset Windows 10 password command prompt method. In this method, we will tell you how to access the command prompt window, access the account that is locked, and then change the password. The steps of this method are as follows.
1. First, boot the Windows 10 installation setup via ISO or CD. press the “Shift” and “F10” keys together when the setup begins. Then a command prompt window will appear.
2. On the log-in screen, replace the “Utility Manager” via command prompt. Use “cmc.exe” with the commands “Move d:\Windows\system32\utilman.exe d:\Windows\system32\utilman.exe.bak.” and “Copy d:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\Windows\system32\utilman.exe”.
3. Then restart your Windows 10 system by using the command “wpeutil reboot”.
4. Enter the log-in screen and click on the “Utility manager”.
5. Enter the commands “Net user <username>/add” and “Net localgroup administrators <username> / add” and then press “Enter”.
6. Now, exit the command prompt window.
7. On the log-in screen, “New user” option will be visible.
8. Log in and go to the “Start” menu and click on “Computer management”.
9. Choose “Local users and groups”. Then click on “Users”.
10. Scroll down to find the account that you cannot log in to and right-click on it.
11. Click on “Set password”.
12. Head on to the next window and press “Proceed”.
13. Create a “New password”, confirm it again, and then click on “Ok”.
Important! :- In case the online recovery mode does not work, you can go to the location “c:\users”. Then open the “Associated folder”. In this folder, you can gain access to the files in the account.
Method 3: How to Reset Computer Password Windows 10 via Other Sign-in Options?
Keeping in mind that users need to reset their password at times, Windows provides several ways for this purpose. You can use the other sign-in options to reset administrator password Windows 10. The 5 steps for this method have been shown below
1. On your system’s keyboard, press the “Windows” key and “X” key at the same time to open the “Windows quick access menu”.
2. Tap “Command prompt (Admin).
3. Fill in the “net user account_name new_password” command. Then press “Enter”.
4. You will be notified that the command has been completed successfully.
5. Then you can form a new password to sign in.
How to Reset Local Password Windows 10?
Resetting the local password for Windows 10 accounts is simple too. In the following parts of the blog, we will tell you how to reset your local Windows 10 password via a password reset disk, Windows tools, PassMoz LabWin, Hash Suite, PCUnlocker, and more such helpful tools.
Method 4: How to Create a Password Reset Disk Windows 10 for Setting Password?
When you create password reset disk Windows 10, you can reset your account password on the lock screen itself. In the 13 steps given below, we have shown how to create this disk for your system and how to use it for resetting your password.
1. Insert your “CD”/”USB drive”/”SD card” through your system’s plugin.
2. Then, on your system’s keyboard, press the “Windows” key and “S” key together.
3. When the search bar opens, enter “Create a password reset disk”.
4. Go to “User accounts” on the top. When a pop-up window opens, press the “Next” button.
5. The window will display the “Location to create a password reset disk”. Tap the drop-down menu to change the location, in case you wish to. Choose a suitable drive for creating the password reset disk and then press the “Next” button.
6. The progress bar will take a few minutes to reach 100%. Press the “Next” button afterwards.
7. Now, press the “Finish” button.
8. Now that the password reset disk has been created, connect it to your system.
9. On your screen, press the “Reset password” button.
10. Tap the “Next” button.
11. Tap the drop-down menu and choose the device for the password reset disk. Then press “Next”.
12. Enter a “New password”, re-enter it, and then provide the “Password hint” for the same. After that, press “Next”.
13. Now, press the “Finish” button. Finally, login to your account using the new password.
Important! : – Many of you may want to know what is a password reset disk Windows 10. This is a file created on a CD, USB drive, or SD card. When you plug this file into your Windows 10 system, you can reset your password without any difficulty. When you are creating a password reset disk for Windows, we will suggest you keep the device for it safe. Any person can access your account when you lose this device.
Method 5: How to Reset Forgotten User Password in Windows 10 via Tools?
The makers of Windows understand that forgetting your password is a usual thing. Therefore, Windows systems come with a tool to pull you out of this problem. Here, we will use the Windows 10 password reset tool in the Control Panel. Let us read the steps to use this tool.
1. First, sign in to your “Administrator account”.
2. Go to the “Control Panel” and click on “User accounts”.
3. Click on “Manage another account”.
4. Then mention the account of which you have forgotten the password.
5. Next, click on “Change the password”.
6. Enter your “New password” and confirm it.
7. Click on the “Change password” button.
8. Now, sign out of your “Administrator account” and access the other one using the newly created password.
Method 6: How can I Reset Windows 10 Password via PassMoz LabWin?
You will be glad to know that the PassMoz LabWin is a useful tool to reset local password Windows 10. Using this tool, you can first prepare a bootable CD or USB for the password reset utility. Then you can use the device to set the new password. This method is 6 steps long. Take a look at it.
1. Download “PassMoz Windows Password Recovery” on another computer, install it, and then move it to a “CD” or “USB”.
2. Make a “Bootable disk” by pressing the “Burn” button when the device is detected.
3. Insert this disk into your password-locked computer. Set it as the first device to boot in BIOS.
4. Now, you will have to restart your Windows 10 system. The “PassMoz Windows Password Recovery” will be seen on the screen.
5. Choose “User account” and tap “Reset password”.
6. Now, you will be required to eject the disk. Doing so will automatically take you to the desktop. From the desktop, you can access your locked account and set up a new password.
Important : -Readers, please make a note that PassMoz Windows Password Recovery works well for Windows 10 local account password reset. This program will not be apt for resetting the password of your Microsoft account. Also, if you have BitLocker enabled in your system’s drive, then you should avoid using this method.
Method 7: How to Reset Windows 10 Computer without Password?
For those of you who want to reset Windows 10 without password, you can factory reset your computer. Before you begin with this method, you may want to keep a backup of your data as this process will format your system. Now, check out the following steps.
1. First, start your computer and click on the “Power” button on the lock screen.
2. Hold the “Shift” key and click on “Restart”.
3. When you land on the “Boot” screen, click on “Troubleshoot” from the menu options.
4. Then click on “Reset this PC”.
5. Choose the option of “Remove everything”.
6. Then wait till your computer restarts.
Method 8: How to Reset Windows 10 Password without Logging in?
If you want to access your Windows 10 account without logging in with your password, then you can visit the website of Windows Live password reset and then perform some quick steps.
1. Use another computer or device to visit the “Windows Live password reset website”.
2. Fill in the “Username” of your Microsoft account.
3. Tap the “Forgot password link”.
4. On the “Recover account” screen, enter the characters you can see in the space provided and press “Next”.
5. On the “Verification” screen, select the method for receiving the security code.
6. Enter the “Verification code” received on your phone or email on the locked computer and press “Next”.
7. Unlock your computer and set a “New password”.
Method 9: How to Reset Windows 10 Password Local Account via Hash Suite?
Many of you would already know that Hash Suite is a program known for cracking the passwords. Using this program, you can reset your Windows 10 password. Let us take a quick look at the 6 steps involved in performing this procedure.
1. First, you will be required to extract the “Hashes” from the “Security account manage file” or the “SAM file”.
2. Use the “Hash Suite” program for cracking the hashes. Then use these for recovering your password.
3. Now, launch the program for importing the hashes.
4. Go to the “Import menu” and tap “Local Accounts”. Here, all the hashes of your computer accounts will be loaded.
5. Next, the program will provide you a “Dictionary” as well as “Brute force” attack procedures. Choose the suitable parameters.
6. Then go through the instructions on your screen. At the end of these instructions, you will have recovered your Windows 10 password.
Method 10: How to Reset Password on Computer Windows 10 with Cain & Abel?
Over the web, you can find multiple password recovery programs to reset the password of Windows 10 systems. Among the reliable ones is the Cain & Abel password recovery program. This password recovery program can also be used for the earlier versions of Windows. Scroll down to learn the usage of the Cain & Abel program. The steps of this method have been provided below.
1. Download and then install “Cain & Abel” on a different computer.
2. Next, use a “USB flash drive” or “DVD” for burning the “ISO file”.
3. Take out the “USB flash drive” or “DVD”. Insert it into your Windows computer for resetting the password.
4. Now, boot your computer.
5. After the booting process is complete, you will see the “Cain & Abel” screen. Click on the “Boot key option”.
6. Now, find the drive that carries the “Windows installation”.
7. Choose the “Account name” for which the password needs to be covered. Then right-click on it.
8. Click on the “Brute Force Attack” option.
9. Tap “NTLM hashes”.
10. Wait for some time for the program to recover your password. Then access your account by unlocking it.
Method 11: How to Reset Password Windows 10 Microsoft Account?
Are you looking for the best way to reset your Windows 10 Microsoft account’s password? Look no further than this method! This simple process can be performed in 8 simple steps.
1. Using your web browser, go to the “Password reset page”.
2. You will be asked “Why can’t you sign in”.
3. Click on “I forgot my password” and press “Next”.
4. Provide your “Email address”/”Phone number” associated with your Microsoft account and press “Next”.
5. Choose an option for receiving the code for the verification of your identity.
6. Provide the “Seven-digit code” received on your email or phone and press “Next”.
7. Upon successful verification, click on “Select a new account password” and press “Next”. In case the “Two-factor authentication” has been turned on, then perform the verification according to that.
8. You will be notified that your Microsoft account has been recovered. Then log in with your new password. That’s it, the process is now complete!
Method 12: How do You Reset a Password on Windows 10 via PCUnlocker?
To reset user password Windows 10 via the PCUnlocker software, you need to follow a very short procedure. The 4 steps of this procedure have been shown here.
1. Use “PCUnlocker” USB or CD to boot your computer.
2. View the local accounts on your system. Choose one of these.
3. Press the “Reset password” button. PCUnlocker will take some time to check the account’s status.
4. After checking the account’s status, PCUnlocker will unlock it. Then you can set a “New password” and a “Password hint”.
Once you have finished setting up the new password as well as the password hint, you can log in to your Windows 10 account. It will be helpful to make a note of your password, so that you don’t have to go through any trouble in the future.
Method 13: How can I Reset My Password on Windows 10 via Software?
The Microsoft Diagnosis And Recovery Toolset is a helpful Windows 10 reset password software. Using this tool, you can recover your forgotten password without getting into anything complicated. To learn the usage of this tool, you can read the following 13 steps.
1. Download the recent version of the “Microsoft Diagnosis And Recovery Toolset software”.
2. Then use the “ERD commander boot (based on WinPE)” to make a “Recovery CD”.
3. Next, boot your Windows 10 system. Use the “DART recovery CD” for this purpose.
4. Click on “No” in the pop-up window.
5. Choose your “Language” and press “Next”.
6. In case you have more than two operating systems, Choose the “Operating system” for which you need to recover the password. Then press “Next”.
7. Then click on “Microsoft diagnostics and recovery toolset” from the options available.
8. Select “Locksmith local account” to reset your password.
9. Press “Next” when the locksmith wizard appears.
10. Click on the “Account name”, set your “Password” and press “Next”. Then click on “Finish”.
11. Take out the “Dart CD”, restart your system, and type your “New password”.
12. Then reset the password and press the “Arrow” button.
13. When your password has been changed, you will be notified. Then press “Ok”.
Method 14: How to Reset Forgotten Password on Windows 10 via Microsoft Account?
For all the versions of Windows 10, we know a method to reset your password quickly. This method will be performed with the help of your Microsoft account. Now, let us go through the 8 steps of this Windows 10 password reset method.
1. Go to the log-in screen of your Windows 10 system.
2. Tap “I forgot my password”.
3. Click on the “Microsoft account ID” on the next screen.
4. Type in the characters visible in the image and press “Next”.
5. When you are asked “How would you like to get your security code?”, choose “Text” or “Email” as per your preference. Then fill in your mobile number or email address that is linked to your Windows 10 Microsoft account. Then press the “Send code” button.
6. Once the code is received, enter it on the screen.
7. You will be notified that your password has been successfully changed. Then press “Next”.
8. On the log-in screen, fill in your new password to log in and you’re done.
And Now We Conclude…
Now that you have finished reading and trying our 14 methods, we are sure your problem will have been resolved. You would have reset your Windows 10 account password by this time. Before you start using your Windows 10 PC, would you love telling us which method you liked the best? We await your thoughts in the comment section below!
Have a look at our latest posts as well! Our experts have authored the best ways to disable Cortana Windows 10. And if you also want to learn how to force uninstall a program Windows 10, then we surely have the coolest guide for you. Read now!