How to Stop Automatic Updates in Windows 10 & Update in Progress?
As a part of system process, your Windows 10 is auto tuned to automatically download system updates as soon as they are released. Though automatic update functionality helps fix a number of security issues and system flaws, making your system less vulnerable to attacks; at time, this may become too overwhelming as Windows Update will download gigabytes of data. Not only this may lead to data overload but also causes automatic system restarts at inconvenient times.
However, the good news is that you can now keep Windows 10 automatic updates under your control. In this article, we’ll show you some simple tricks and hidden settings that can help you stop Windows 10 from automatically updating as well as stop windows 10 update in progress, helping you keep interruptions and unwanted changes caused by Windows Update, at bay.
You can also call our Windows 10 helpline number 1-844-851-9487 for instant help and support. Our expert technicians can guide you with the step-by-step method to stop Windows 10 automatic updates for a hassle-free computing experience.
How to stop Windows 10 from automatically updating
Option 1: Stop Windows Update Service
- Press Win + R to open the Run command
- Type: services.msc and press Enter
- The Services list will appear. Look for the Windows Update service and open it.
- Under the ‘General’ tab, go to ‘Startup Type’ and change it to ‘Disabled’.
- Restart your computer to apply the changes.
Option 2: Setup a Metered Connection
- Press Win + I to open the Settings app.
- Open the ‘Network & Internet’ section.
- Now open ‘Wi-Fi’ and click on the ‘Advanced Options’
- Change ‘Set as metered connection’ to ‘On’.
Option 3: Group Policy Editor
This is a halfway ticket. The group policy editor will notify you about new updates but will not install them automatically without your permission. For this,
- Press Win + R to open the Run commanff3wt4d.
- Type: gpedit.msc and press Enter
- Go to Computer Configuration and click on Administrative Templates.
- Now click on Windows Components to access Windows Update.
- Open this and change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to ‘2 – Notify for download and notify for install’.
- Now open the Settings app by pressing Win + I and navigate to Update and Security.
- Click on Windows Updates and then click on ‘Check for updates’ to apply the new configuration setting.
- Restart your computer.
How to stop windows 10 update in progress
- Open Windows 10 Search box and Type Services.
- Once the Services application appears, right-click on it and select Run as Administrator.
- In Services window, check for list of services running in the background.
- Find Windows Update service from the list and right click on it.
- Select Stop or click on Stop link available under Windows Update option.
- A small dialogue box will appear showing you the process to stop the progress.
- Close the window once finished.
This should help you stop Windows 10 automatic update. Should you still need help, call us at our toll free Windows customer care number 1-844-851-9487 and get instant help and support from our certified technicians. They can help you fix all your Windows 10 issues for uninterrupted work and productivity.