Has a virus affected your iPhone? Removing it from your device can seem tough for you. Are you willing to learn how to get rid of virus on iPhone? If yes, then stick through this guide to find the best methods to remove a virus on iPhones.
Along with these methods, we will also provide you with great tips to keep your iPhone virus-free.
The following are the topics that we will be discussing in this blog. Let’s have a look at them.
- Causes of Virus in iPhones
- How to Know If Your iPhone has a Virus?
- How to Get Rid of a Virus on Your iPhone?
- Method 1: Clear History and Website Data on iPhone
- Method 2: Restart Your iPhone
- Method 3: Restore From the Earlier Backup
- Method 4: Perform the Factory Reset
- Method 5: Remove iPhone from Mac Computer
- Method 6: Uninstall Your iPhone from Safari
- Bonus Tips to Protect Your iPhone from Virus Attack in the Future
Causes of Virus in iPhones
Fortunately, iPhone viruses are rare. However, the iPhone may get into the virus when it is jailbroken.
Jailbreaking the iPhone is like unlocking your phone. It obtains root privileges that bypass the security restrictions. Jailbreaking your iPhone has its own advantages. For instance, you can control your phone in your way by deleting the pre-installed app and installing the ones from other app stores (other than App Store). You can also customize the system appearance if preferred.
Now, this may sound nice but result in blunder. Because jailbroken iPhones are easily affected by malicious programs. As a result, your phone becomes vulnerable and easy to attract the virus.
Besides jailbreaking, your iPhones can also get into the virus due to malicious apps and unsecured public networks. The third-party apps that are not trusted can also spread security threats.
If you are wondering how do I get rid of viruses on my iPhone then don’t worry. We have got some effective solutions performing in which you can kick out this virus from your iPhone. But first, make sure that if your phone really has a virus? Let’s know about its symptoms in the following guide.
How to Know If Your iPhone has a Virus?
There is the rarest chance that your iPhone has been infected with a virus. In case your iPhone may be jailbroken or behave inappropriately. Then there can be chances that the virus has sneaked on your phone.
To know if your iPhone has been infected with a virus, you may find the following symptoms as the warning:
- Apps start crashing unexpectedly
- You find unfamiliar apps on iPhone
- Pop-up appears in Safari
- Unexplained charges in Apple account
- Increased usage of data
- Faster battery drain
- Overheating device
If any of these strange events occurred to your iPhone, then there may be the presence of the virus. However, these viruses can be removed on your iPhone and make it secure for the future.
To learn how to get rid of virus on iPhone for free, we are bringing you the best and effective methods to get rid of a virus on your iPhone. Let’s find them.
How to Get Rid of a Virus on Your iPhone?
If you are thinking about how to get rid of a virus on my iPhone then you can implement a number of methods to kick out the virus from your iPhone. Methods like clearing the history, restarting the device, factory reset, etc., can work. Let’s follow these methods one by one.
Method 1: Clear History and Website Data on iPhone
If you are receiving pop-ups or Error notifications in the Safari browser (on iPhone), then these are the symptoms that your phone has caught by a virus. In this scenario, you should first clear your history and website data from the iPhone Safari browser.
To know how to get rid of email virus on iPhone, you can perform the following steps.
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on the “Safari” app.
- Here, tap on “Clear History and Website Data” option.
Once you do so, the iPhone will clear the browsing history and data from your iPhone Safari browser. As a result, you will not receive any Error notifications and pop-ups on your phone while browsing the internet.
Tip: Download apps on your iPhone only from the official App Store platform instead of the browser. This will prevent your phone from malicious software or fake apps.
Method 2: Restart Your iPhone
Restarting the iPhone or any other device often resolves the errors or bugs. If you are thinking about how to get rid of a virus on my iPhone then powering off your phone should help you.
For that, you just need to hold the power button (usually located on the side- right). This will show the slide to power off option on your screen. At this point, you need to tap on the Power off icon and slide to the right. This will shut down your iPhone.
After a short while, you can again hold the power button. Doing so, your phone will display an Apple icon indicating that your phone is restarting. This will surely work on your phone and you can free your phone from viruses.
Method 3: Restore From the Earlier Backup
In case the most recent backup is not malware-free then there are chances your phone can become a victim of a virus attack. And, if it has already attacked your phone then you should take a step. To know how to get rid of malware virus on iPhone, you should restore your iPhone from the earlier backup until you find the safe one.
To restore from the iCloud backup, you can first update the latest version and take a backup so that you can delete the current settings and restore it from the earlier backup. To understand this better, go through the steps discussed below:
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the “Settings” app.
- Go to the “General” tab.
- Tap on “Software Update”.
If you see a new version for your device, then download and install it by following the instructions given on your screen.
Note: Ensure that you have the recent backup through which you will restore.
- Now, open the “Settings” app.
- Tap on your name located on the top.
- Tap “iCloud”.
- Go to “Manage Storage”.
- Tap on “Backups”.
Thereafter, you can tap the device that is listed under the Backups. And then check the data and size of the latest backup.
- Next to this, go to the “Settings” app again.
- Tap “General”.
- Go to “Reset”.
- Tap on “Erase All Content and Settings”.
- Tap the “Restore from iCloud Backup” option on the “Apps & Data screen.
- Start with “Choose backup”.
- Then, select the backup from the available backups in iCloud.
This is how you can restore from the previous backup. You can stick to this earlier backup until you find the one that is malware-free. If you are wondering how do I get rid of viruses on my iPhone then don’t worry, the above-mentioned solutions would help you.
Method 4: Perform the Factory Reset
If your iPhone is highly infected with a virus then performing a factory reset can save you. Factory reset basically restores your iPhone as it was in the beginning (new state). It wipes all the content, installed applications, settings, and configurations.
So before performing this method, make sure that you are ready to restore your device in a fresh stage.
To learn how to get rid of virus on iPhone SE by performing a factory reset on the iPhone, you can follow these steps:
- Launch the “Settings” app again.
- Go to the “General” tab.
- Tap on “Reset”.
- Choose the “Erase All Content and Settings” option.
- Tap the “Restore from iCloud Backup” option on the “Apps & Data” screen.
Thereafter, you might be prompted to enter your password to confirm the action. Once you do so, the screen goes black and starts with a Hello exactly like a new device. Consequently, your iPhone becomes free from the virus.
Method 5: Remove iPhone from Mac Computer
As is well known, Mac users often connect their iPhones with their computers. This helps to access the phone data directly on your computer. In case your MacOS is showing virus symptoms then you can learn here how to get rid of virus on iPhone 8 Plus, SE, and others.
To erase your iPhone from your Mac computer, you can remove the iPhone related enquiries from the Applications folder. Alternatively, you can remove the iPhone completely, you can access the LaunchDaemons, Launch Agents, and Application Support folders to remove relevant files.
Let’s know how to erase your iPhone from the Applications folder in the following steps:
- On Mac, click on “Go”.
- Click on “Applications”.
- Check for the iPhone related entries in the “Applications” folder.
- Now, click on the suspicious app (Mac Keeper) to drag to “Trash”. Alternatively, you can click right on the app and select the “Move to Trash” option.
To completely erase the iPhone, you can do the following:
- Click on “Go” on your Mac.
- Select the “Go to Folder”.
- Then, enter the following path:
- Click on the “Go” option or hit the “Enter” key.
- In the “Application Support” folder, you can check for any suspicious entries related to your iPhone. Once found, you can delete them.
- Similarly, you can enter /Library/LaunchDaemons and /Library/LaunchAgents folders and then remove all iPhone-related entries you find at the place.
Method 6: Uninstall Your iPhone from Safari
Clearing browsing history or website data can help to remove the virus. What if the annoying virus pop-ups appear again? To deal with such a situation, you can remove the suspicious extensions, change the homepage if it is modified by the virus, and reset Safari on the whole. Let’s know how to get rid of a virus on your iPhone in detail.
- To remove suspicious extensions, click on the “Safari” option on your Mac.
- Then, go to “Preferences”.
- Click on “Extensions” and search for the iPhone and other iPhone related entries.
- Once you find it, click on the “Uninstall” button.
This will remove each of the iPhone entries on your Mac computer. To change the homepage, you can follow these steps discussed below.
- Click on the “Safari” option on your Mac.
- Then, go to “Preferences”.
- Click on the “General” option.
- Look for the “Homepage” field. If you find unnecessary links, you can remove and add the one you want there.
Note: Make sure that you add “https://” before any website or webpage address.
This is how you can change the homepage of the Safari browser. In case, you prefer to reset the whole Safari browser then you can do the following:
- Click on “Safari” on Mac.
- Then, go to “Reset Safari”.
- Here, you will see a wizard where you can check the options you want to reset.
- After selecting the options, hit the “Reset” button.
This will help you to successfully reset the iPhone. As a result, your iPhone will be removed from macOS.
Bonus Tips to Protect Your iPhone from Virus Attack in the Future
Till now you have learned how to get rid of virus pop ups on iPhone. These methods will help you to save your device from harmful attacks. In the future, you don’t become a victim again, so you can take precautions to protect your iPhone from the virus attack.
As you read ahead, you will find many tips. So, if you’re thinking about how do you get rid of viruses on your iPhone in the future, then you can follow these tips and apply them:
- Never jailbreak your iPhone: As we informed earlier, jailbreaking your iPhone makes it insecure. It is really easy for the coder to hack your device and steal confidential information, even your bank details. So do not ever jailbreak your phone for the sake of customizing the system.
- Keep your iOS version up to date: Whenever you receive the new updates for iOS, update them immediately. This will prevent your phone to be away from the weakness of older iOS versions.
- Update your installed apps: Developers release app updates to make its performance better than before. Update your app regularly to reduce the chances of being attacked with the older update.
- Download the apps carefully: When you download a new app, make sure that you download it from the trusted source. Always check reviews, ratings, developers, number of downloads for the particular app. This is because some apps are being created just to trap the user’s phone.
- Use antivirus protection on iPhone: Antivirus programs help your device to scan any kind of threat. It would be a great idea to use protections to protect your iPhone from malicious activities. You can also use the trusted app to get rid of viruses on iPhone.
- Stay updated with the Apple security news: In case Apple ever encounters a data breach or you encounter a cybersecurity threat at least you would be aware of the scenario and can take precautions accordingly.
- Never click on unverified links: A few of the URLs are generated to tempt users to click on it. Meanwhile, the attackers might drop a virus on your device so that they can hack the device easily later.
- Don’t use public WiFi: Free WiFi is often not secured. It would be safe if you don’t use public WiFi networks. This can cause many problems including a virus attack.
- Avoid visiting suspicious websites: When you visit certain websites where you get nasty pop-ups, close those tabs as they are just to make a user visit them but in reality, they intrude on your privacy.
When it comes to iPhone’s safety, you should not compromise security. Always protect your phone from malicious activities by using anti-malware apps. This will help you to scan and clean the virus.
In this blog, we have talked about how an iPhone can be attacked by a virus and what all precautions you can take. In case your phone falls to be a victim of a virus attack, you can always try these methods for how to get rid of virus on iPhone for free.
Also, several tips have been included in this blog. Many users have tried these tips for keeping their iPhone secure. So, when you think about how do you get rid of viruses on your iPhone, we will suggest you to use these tips.
Do not miss out on this guide as well. Learn how to clear Safari cache on iPhone in the best ways.