For various purposes, you may create a company file in QuickBooks. After the usage or purpose of your company file is complete, you may want to delete it from your computer. Do you know how to delete a company file in QuickBooks Desktop? In case you have no clue about it, you can absolutely count on us to receive the best guidance. We have gathered simple methods to help you succeed in removing the QB company file. These methods have been laid out in a simple language to help you easily understand them.
Now, let us start reading the contents of this post.
As you read further, you will find two subsections in this post. The first subsection will guide you about deleting your company file in QuickBooks Desktop and the other sub-section will be suitable for deleting the file in QB on Windows computers. You can also look at the summary shown here.
QuickBooks Delete Company File Methods
You can go through two methods to get familiar with the steps for how to delete a QuickBooks company file. Using the first method, you can do away with your company file in QuickBooks Desktop. In case you are using QuickBooks on Windows, then you can scroll below to read the second method. This method will show you the steps for removing your data file in this software on Windows.
Method 1: How to Delete a Company File in QuickBooks Desktop?
This section of the post will help you find out how to delete a company file in QuickBooks Desktop in just 15 steps. To initiate this method, you can run the Intuit QB software. From the File menu, you can open your company file by selecting Open. Then you can select your file and select the Open option once again. You can tap the F2 key to access the File Information. This will provide you with the location of your company file. You can exit the software and then visit the file’s location. From there, you can delete your company file.
1. The first step is to run “QuickBooks” on your PC.
2. Now, access your “Company File” which you do not require any longer.
Please Note: As an alternative to the steps mentioned above, you can open the “QuickBooks” software. Then you can click on “File” to continue. From this menu, you can select “Restore Company” or “Open”.
3. Tap on “Open” to open the file.
4. Next, click on “Next”.
5. The fifth step is to select the “Company File” that has to be deleted.
6. Click on “Open” once again.
7. Now, hit the “F2” key on your keyboard.
8. A new window will open. In this window, look for the “File Information” option. You can either remember the location of the file or you can note it down somewhere.
Please Note: The location of the file will refer to the place on your system where you have saved the “Company File”. Its location may be mentioned as “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users \Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\(Name of the File).qbw.” Here, in place of “Name of the File”, the actual name of your company file will be mentioned.
9. Now, you can leave “QuickBooks”. For this, you can press “File”. Then you can tap on the “Exit” option.
10. After that, visit the location of the “Company File” which was remembered or noted by you in step 8.
11. Right-tap on your data file which you want to remove from your system.
12. Now, tap on the “Delete” button.
13. You can open the “QuickBooks” software now.
14. Press the button of “Edit List”.
15. Locate the box for “Hide” and select it. You will find it on your data file which has to be removed.
Please Note: The last step of the method mentioned here is extremely important. This step will delete your “Company File” which you do not require. In addition to that, the “Company File” will be hidden. In the window of “No Company Open”, you will not be able to see this “Company File”.
Method 2: How Do I Delete a Company File in QuickBooks on Windows?
This QuickBooks delete company file method will be the most suitable for the users of Windows computers. To delete your QuickBooks company file, you can open this software and enter the File menu. Via the Open or Restore Company option, you can pick the Open a Company File option and hit Next. You can select your data file and press F2 to know its location. You can exit this accounting software and go to the correct location of the company file. Lastly, you can remove the file from your Windows computer.
1. The initial step is to run “QuickBooks” on your Windows computer.
2. Select “File”.
3. From the menu, click on “Open or Restore Company”.
4. Then click on “Open a Company File”.
4. Press the “Next” button.
5. The “Company File” which you would like to delete has to be chosen now. Again press “Open” for this purpose.
6. On your Windows computer’s keyboard, tap “F2”.
7. A new window will be visible on your Windows computer. As you will scroll down, you will find “File Information”. Go through this section to know the location of your “Company File”.
Please Note: You need to remember the location of the “Company File”. For this, you can write the location on the notepad or anywhere else as per your convenience. The location of your “Company File” may be mentioned as “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\(the Name of Your File).qbw.)”.
8. You can exit “QuickBooks” on your Windows computer.
9. Then tap on the “File” option.
10. Tap on “Exit”.
11. Open the location of the QuickBooks “Company File” which was noted by you in the seventh step.
12. Right-tap on this file. Ensure that this is the file which you have to delete. Then pick the “Delete” option.
Please Note: Prior to deleting your QuickBooks “Company File”, see to it that it has the green icon of “QuickBooks”. Also, remove all the files with the same name as that of this QuickBooks “Company File” with “.qbw” at the end.
13. Open the QB software once again.
14. Open the “Edit List” by pressing the button for the same.
15. Click on the “Hide” box present on the “Company File” which you have deleted.
At the end of this method, your QuickBooks company file will get removed from your Windows computer. Along with that, it will be hidden. You will not be able to find the file in the window of “No Company Open”.
As promised, we provided you with two easy methods to find out how to delete QuickBooks company files. The steps for each of these methods were offered in a simple language. We hope you encountered no problems in understanding the steps of these methods. On the off chance that a part of any of these methods was not clear to you, please let us know. You can connect with us via the following comment section. You can also scroll down and rate this blog. It will help us know how helpful we were!
Make the best of your time by reading more such useful posts. Click here to learn the numerous methods to merge bank accounts in QuickBooks. Along with that, you can also explore the best ways for inventory tracking in QuickBooks.