Generally, prior to installation of Windows 10, there are many users who complain of some unexpected problems or errors. But there is a probability that the users might face errors related to update that are usually associated with the previous Window versions. Out of numerous errors, the Update error code 0x80070057 is one of them reported maximum to the customer support. So without any delay it is essential to resolve windows update error 0x80070057, as it mind be complex and hinder workflow.
System updates are released by Microsoft in between intervals as well as automatic. The reason behind the release of system updates are to improve the bugs fixing in the in the version you are using and to enhance the features to escalate better work experience. Window 10 is configured to install the fresh updates automatically. It will automatically download all the new updates that are released but there are certain unfriendly times when the installation of the updates fails and you encounter error message: “Windows 10 update failed error 80240fff.” During the installation of the updates there are certain issues and the message says – but we’ll try again later. Sometimes this error may also come up with a slightly different error like Windows 10 update error 0x80072ee7, Windows update error 0x80070057.
Windows update error code 0x80070057 or Windows 10 update error code 0x80072ee7, both the error signifies that the Windows updates have failed and there are many reasons for the error to crop up that might be possibly the corrupt windows update components, the earlier updates that failed and result to damage and corruption with the system files, required to pack and unpack the update packages and then further apply them. Error code 0x80070057 is a hexadecimal error number that helps in the identification of the nature of the error and one of the most common error in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7. So many Window users have stated that the update installation process crashes when the user attempts installing the latest updates released by Microsoft and the unexpectedly the error code 0x80070057 arises.Maximum Windows users have disclosed that the 0x80070057 error occurs while they try to update Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Usually, error code 80070057 points out corruption of Windows update files.
This windows update error is categorized as one of the old Windows update error encountered by the windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.1 users. The same problem is faced with the Windows 10 version and the users get annoyed with this error. The usual reason why the error 0x80070057 happens is due to the presence of is corrupt update components in the system. This error code is accompanied with the error messages. The error messages describes why the error has occurred. The error messages are as following:However, I will describe a few troubleshooting methods which already have helped so many users to fix update error 0x80070057 in Windows 10, 8 and 7. I hope, these will also work for you.
Possible Reasons that Causes Windows Update error 0x80070057
The reasons that are responsible for the occurrence of Windows Update error are discussed below:
- While attempting backup of system files there is chances of corruption.
- While attempting to install a Windows operating system and the System Reserved Partition is corrupt.
- Damaged/Corrupt registry or policy entries are hindering with the Windows Update process.
- Unexpected issues arises during installing updates, and the system will attempt to try again later.
Recommended Methods to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80070057
The below methods are suggested to fix the Windows update error. When the error occurs it is important to fix it as soon as possible to avoid complex errors or work loss. In case the error does not resolve the error you should reach out to Microsoft customer care support.
- Setup Automatic Updates
- Run Disk Cleanup & Repair your partition
- Implement the Windows Update troubleshooter
- Download the latest Servicing Stack Update (SSU)
- Reset Windows Update Elements
- Perform DISM and SFC Commands
- Uninstall the third-party tools in your Computer
Method 1. Configuration of Automatic Updates
You can attempt setup of automatic updates by following the below listed steps. Follow the steps rightly as sequenced for fruitful results.
- Simultaneously use the Windows along with R key.
- On pressing both the keys together the Run window is displayed.
- Note: To Get to the Run window via other way is click on the left side of the Start button and in the search box present you need to type run then click on the left side of the Run icon that is displayed once the search is done.
- Type gpedit.msc in the run dialog box and do not use quotes
- Once entered press enter
- You get the Local Group Policy Editor in front of you, click twice on the Computer Configuration icon that is seen in the right side.
- Again click twice to open the “Administrative Templates” folder.
- To open the “Windows Components” folder click twice from the “Administrative Templates” folder.
- Then to open “Windows Update” folder click twice from within the “Windows Components” folder.
- Look for “Configure Automatic Updates” file in the Windows Update folder and verify in case to configure “Not Configured”.
- In case you configure to “Not Configured” -> Click on the Start button.
- Type “Cmd” without the quotes going to the search box.
- Once thorough search is done click on the right of the “cmd.exe” icon and click on the left on the “Run as Administrator”.
- Note: In case you see a message from User account control, click on the left on the “Yes” button to continue.
- Go to the Command Prompt window and type “gpupdate /force” without the quotes.
- Once you are done press enter.
- Wait till the entire process completes and then restart your Windows 10 computer.
- When the system starts verify once again that you are able to implement the latest updated features in Windows 10.
- Move to the next solution if the updates are not installed successfully.
Method 2. Partition Repair/ Run Disk Cleanup:
Windows update error 0x80070057 also occurs usually due to the damaged/corrupt partition. When the partition reserved by you for your operating system is damaged the error happens. But the good thing is that you can instantly resolve the error by performing a dedicated hard drive repair software to restore your partitions.
Also can you verify your drive for errors. Follow the below steps to execute the process:
- Click on the right on the damaged/corrupt ->Move to Tools
- Click on the check option to verify your drive for computer errors under error checking option.
All the temporary files and other junk files are also a reason that causes your hard drive and operating system partition to function intermittently. You can resolve by performing disk cleanup process.
Method 3: Perform the Windows Update Troubleshooter
In case you are looking for an authentic solution to resolve to Windows update errors, you can attempt to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool. This is a in built tool that instantaneously scans and repairs Windows Update elements. After the scanning and repair process you can install the operating system updates hassle free. For running the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool you need to follow:
- Go to Settings
- Then click on Update & Security
- Run the Troubleshoot tool
- Windows Update.
Method 4. Download the Fresh Servicing Stack Update (SSU)
You need to verify the version of operating system that is being used: i.e. 32-bit or 64-bit Windows. Follow the steps to perform the process:
- Go to Settings -> System -> About -> Move down to System type.
Once done go to Microsoft Update Catalog website and download the version of the latest SSU very easily that is KB4090914 at the time of writing.
Method 5. Reconfiguration of Windows Update Elements
In case the error continues you can choose to reconfigure all the Windows Update elements via Command Prompt:
Run the Command Prompt as administrator -> make sure enter the below listed commands and press enter:
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop appidsvc
- net stop cryptsvc
Remove the qmgr.dat update files by performing the below mentioned command:
- Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%Application DataMicrosoftNetworkDownloader*.*”
Perform Clean Windows Update cache and run the below mentioned commands:
- rmdir %systemroot%SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
- rmdir %systemroot%system32catroot2 /S /Q
Then you have to register all the Windows Update DLL files on the Windows Registry. You just have to write the below listed and press enter after each one:
- regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s shdocvw.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s browseui.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s jscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s vbscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s scrrun.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s msxml.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s msxml3.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s msxml6.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s actxprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s oleaut32.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s ole32.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s shell32.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s initpki.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s wuapi.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng1.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s wucltui.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s wups.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s wups2.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s wuweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s qmgr.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s qmgrprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s wucltux.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s muweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s wuwebv.dll
Once done reboot the Windows Update elements by running the following commands. Remember to press enter after each command.
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
Method 6. Run DISM and SFC commands
The next solution to resolve Windows Update issues is to run the DISM and SFC commands. The same is recommended by Microsoft. Follow the below listed steps to run the DISM and SFC commands.
- Open Command Prompt as administrator
- Write down the following command -> press Enter:
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (The process might take time so you need to wait for some time).
- Run the System File Checker tool -> enter the below command and press enter:
- sfc /scannow
- Then exit command prompt -> Run Windows Update again.
Method 7. Uninstall third-party Programs
Some Window users reported that by performing uninstall of the third party programs that help to resolve the error. In case you have attempted installation of new applications on your computer delete them and verify for Window updates again to assure that the error is fixed or not.
It has been reported by the Windows 10 users that successful uninstall of the third party program like Cybereason Ransomefree software has fixed the issue. So if this tool is installed in your system and you are using it then you will have to uninstall it immediately and thereafter perform Windows Update.
All the solutions mentioned above are capable of resolving the Windows Update error code 0x80070057. Still if the error persists or you have some queries related to the solutions you can approach Microsoft customer care support team. They are approachable over phone, email and live chat modes.
Alternatively, you can connect with ErrorsDoc.com. It is a trustworthy support agency that offers authentic Windows support. The agency hires top professionals who hold extensive experience and have in depth knowledge in dealing with all the queries and errors related to Window versions reported by the users. They identify the real cause of the error and provide the solution instantly. They assure quick feasible solutions for all Windows related errors. You can easily connect with the support team by the toll free number 1-844-851-9487 that is round the clock active and acquire immediate solutions for your Windows 10, 7 & 8.1.