How To Fix Windows 10 Error Code 0xc0000142
After the new Windows 10 update, there are any bugs that the community is facing. One of the most common bug is the occurrence of the error message: “cmd.exe – Application Error. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.” This error message usually occurs when one tries to open an application through command prompt or cmd.exe. There could be many reasons because of which this error might be occurring. We will be discussing all the reasons as well as their fixes here.
- Uninstall applications
The 0xc0000142 is related to problems in certain programs or applications like Adobe Flash Player. If there are some applications that you have recently installed, then one of them might be the cause of this error. Other unknown applications might also cause this error. Try uninstalling them and then check if the error is solved of not.
- Perform a Clean Boot
If removing the applications did not work, then you should try to solve the “windows application error 0xc0000142” error by performing a clean boot on your system. The do so, follow the steps given below:
- Press ‘Windows+R’, type ‘msconfig’ and press enter.
- Once the System Configuration window opens, in the General tab, choose the ‘Selective startup’ and uncheck the ‘Load startup items’ checkbox.
- Go to the Services tab and check the ‘Hide All Microsoft Services’ and then select the ‘Disable All’ button.
- Click on ‘Ok’ and then restart your system.
- Remove the File Causing the Error
The error ‘the application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142’ is usually caused because of a missing or corrupted file. To see which file is causing the problem, use the System File Checker, and then replace that file. The steps to do so are as follows:
- In the Windows search option, enter ‘cmd’.
- Right click on the ‘Command Prompt’ option that appears and select the ‘Run As Administrator’ option.
- Now write the command ‘sfc /scannow’ and press enter. This command scans the protected system files and replaces the corrupted or un-updated versions with the correct Microsoft versions.
- Use the Compatibility Mode to Run Applications
If the 0xc0000142 error is occurring when you try to open an application, then you could try running it in Compatibility Mode and start the application as an administrator. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Right click on the application that is causing the error message to occur and click on ‘Properties’.
- Go to the ‘Compatibility Tab’ and check the ‘Run this program in compatibility mode’ checkbox.
- Select the operating system on which the drivers are available.
- Check the ‘Run this program as an administrator’ and apply the changes.
- Now try to open the application and see if the error message appears or not.
- Try Changing the Value of LoadAppInit.dll File
The error ‘cmd.exe application error 0xc0000142’, could be caused by corrupted ‘.dll’ files and the best way to solve that problem is by changing the value of the LoadAppInit.dll file. We can use Regedit.exe to do so. Follow the steps given below to change the value of the ‘.dll’ file.
- Press ‘Windows+R’ to open the ‘Run’ prompt box. And type ‘Regedit’
- Open the path ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows’
- And now open the ‘LoadAppInit_DLLs’ and change the value from 1 to 0.
- Click on OK and then try to run your application again.
- Download Dll Files
There might be some missing ‘.dll’ files in the application that you want to run which could be the reason why the 0xc0000142 error is being generated. To add the missing ‘.dll’ files to the application, follow the steps given below:
- Download the ‘.dll.’ files from a trusted source.
- Copy these files from their location.
- Open the folder where the ‘.dll’ files of the application generating the error message are saved.
- Paste these copied ‘.dll’ files there.
- Press ‘Replace’ if the system asks if you wish to replace the files already present in the folder.
- Now try to run the application again and see if the error is generated or not.
- Try to Reinstall the Application
If your problem is not solved by the above given solutions, then you can try to uninstall and then reinstall the application. Try to again run it and see if the error message is generated or not.
- Update your DirectX, C++ or .Net Framework
The error could be occurring due to un-updated or other bugs present in the DirectX, C++ or .Net framework in your system. The best way to solve this error is by updating these modules from trusted sources.
These all fixes will help you to remove the windows application error 0xc0000142 successfully in just a few short minutes.