Dell black screen on laptop and computer is a problem that can be encountered at times. If you are also coming across the Dell laptop black screen error on your system, then we are all up to help you. Explore with us the easiest of methods to fix the issue. From the causes and fixes to the step-by-step instructions to fix the error, we will tell you everything in this blog.
What Causes Dell Black Screen on Laptop and Computer?
Many of you may be wondering “Why My Dell Laptop Screen is Black? Knowing the causes of the issue on a laptop and computer can help answer your questions. The 6 common causes of Dell monitor black screen include:
1. Problem with Display
When the monitor or Dell laptop turns on but screen is black, your screen may be hinting towards damage in the monitor, video card, video driver, or the connecting cable.
2. Overheating of Device
The second cause is overheating as a result of poor ventilation.
3. Virus in System
When the Dell laptop screen goes black but still running or Dell desktop computer black screen is observed, there could be a virus/malware.
4. Failure of Hardware
Hardware failure is the fourth cause of error soon after the system turns on.
5. Installation Issues on Windows 10
For Windows 10 Users, not installing the Windows 10 completely on the system can result in the black screen error.
6. Problem with Power Supply
Issues with the power supply on the Dell laptop or computer is the sixth cause.
Now that we have understood the causes. let us move further and explore the numerous easy methods to fix the problem.
How to Troubleshoot Dell Laptop Black Screen?
Below we have provided several easy methods to troubleshoot the black screen error. We will guide you with clear steps to perform each method.
Fix 1 – Restart Graphics Driver on Laptop
When your Dell laptop turns on but screen is black, there is a good possibility that there is a poor connection between your device and the operating system. We know a hotkey combination that can fix the error sooner than you can think. Check it below.
1. On your Dell Laptop’s keyboard, press the “Windows” key, “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and the “B” letter key together.
2. Now, wait for the graphics driver to restart. Soon, the Dell black screen will be fixed.
Fix 2 – Update Graphics Driver on Laptop
The problem of the Dell laptop screen goes black but still running maybe because the graphics driver needs an update. Using the graphics driver that is out of date may not be agreeable. So, we will advise you to install the latest updates as soon as possible to fix the black screen error.
Fix 3 – Replace Display Panel on Laptop
Replacing the display panel can also troubleshoot your problem. The following steps can also be adopted to overcome the issues of Black Screen.
1. Perform the power draining function that starts with removing the power cord and the battery. After removing the battery, drain the remaining power by pressing the “Power” button for at least 10-20 sec. After the draining, turn on the power with the help of a power cord.
2. Check if there is any indication of LED over the power button.
3. If you find that the LED on the “Power button” or the “Caps lock” key is static, then try connecting an external monitor to your system to verify the operations of the external monitor.
4. If the external monitor shows the display, then you need to replace the display panel or the display cable.
5. If the LED on the “Caps lock” key blinks with some gap, then you need to perform the BIOS recovery. For this, turn off the laptop and connect it to the power chord.
6. Press the “Ctrl” key and “Esc” key until the Bios recovery page appears.
7. Once the page appears, select the “reset NVRAM” and press “Enter”.
8. To start with the recovery process, click “recover BIOS” and press “Enter”.
Fix 4 – Force Shut Down Laptop
Many users complain that their Dell laptop screen goes black randomly. If this is bothering you too, then we will suggest you to force shut down your laptop. Let us see the procedure to force shut down to fix the black screen.
1. Detach the external devices connected to your Dell laptop.
2. Next, power off the device for 20 seconds.
3. Remove the AC adapter and battery intact.
4. Press and hold the device’s “Power” button for a minute to drain the battery.
5. Connect the charger and battery again.
6. Now, start your laptop. The Dell black screen won’t be there.
Fix 5 – Boot Laptop into Safe Mode
Dell black screen on startup is quite a common issue. When you boot your device into safe mode, the chances of the Dell laptop won’t boot up black screen error reduce. This fix can be performed in just 10 steps.
1. Turn off your device.
2. Press its “Power” button to turn it on.
3. On your Dell laptop’s keyboard, hold the “Shift” key and press the “F8” key until you see the “Windows Logo” on screen. Then you will enter the “Recovery Mode” menu.
4. In case the “Recovery Mode” menu does not appear, perform the steps again.
5. Click on “See advanced repair options” in the “Recovery Mode” menu.
6. Now, tap on “Troubleshoot”.
7. Head to “Advanced options”.
8. Next, click on “Windows Startup Settings” and press “Restart”.
9. Your Dell laptop will restart. Afterwards, select “5” or “F5” from the list of options. Now, you will be in “Safe Mode” with a network connection.
10. Use your laptop usually..
Quick Note: This method will work great for Windows 7 users.
Fix 6 – Connect External Display for Laptop
Booting the laptop into safe mode is an excellent fix for Dell black screen. Just in case the above method does not work for you, then you can connect to the external display. Let’s see what you need to do for this.
1. On your device’s keyboard, tap the “Windows” key and the “P” letter key at the same time.
2. The display list will appear. Select a suitable option for your device.
3. Now, tap the “Down arrow” key or the “P” letter key to choose the display.
4. Finally, press the “Enter” key.
Fix 7 – Restart Explorer.exe on Laptop
You may know that explorer.exe manages several processes on your Dell laptop. When the explorer.exe does not work smoothly, you may see a Dell laptop black screen with cursor. Restarting the explorer.exe process can be an excellent idea for black screen. This process is only 5 steps long.
1. First, tap the “Ctrl” key, the “Shift” key, and the “Esc” key on your Dell laptop’s keyboard. The “Task Manager” will open.
2. Tap the “Details” tab. Windows 7 users will have to tap the “Processes” tab.
3. Now, choose “Explorer.exe”.
4. Tap “End task”.
5. Now, restart your Dell Laptop. You will not see the error anymore.
Fix 8 – Reset BIOS on Laptop
Our research reveals that corrupt BIOS settings are one of the top causes of Dell laptop black screen. Therefore, resetting BIOS will resolve the problem quickly.
1. First, restart your device.
2. Tap the “F2” key or the “F12” key when the “Dell Logo” appears. Keep tapping the key until the “Entering Setup” appears.
3. Now, for loading the “Default settings”, tap “F9” or the “Alt” key and the “F” key together. You can also press the on-screen “Load defaults” button.
4. Next, tap on “ESC” to leave the BIOS screen.
5. Click on “Save and Exit”.
6. Hit the “Enter” key for saving the changes.
7. Now, you will have to restart your Dell laptop to eradicate black screen error.
Fix 9 – Update BIOS on Laptop
When your Dell laptop turns on but screen is black, updating the BIOS to the latest version will be recommended. This short procedure does not require much effort. Below you can find how to update BIOS to avoid the black screen error.
1. Visit the “Dell Support Page”.
2. Download the recent “BIOS” update for your device.
3. You will be provided with the instructions to install the update for BIOS. Follow these.
4. Now resume your work without the black screen bothering you.
Quick Note: You can also take the help of the “Dell BIOS Updates Guide” for a better understanding of the entire process.
Fix 10 – Clean the Reinstall Windows on Laptop
Another great solution for Dell laptop screen goes black but still running is to clean the Reinstall Windows. Read further to know how this method is performed.
1. Turn off your Dell laptop and connect it to a DVD or USB as the recovery media.
2. Start your Dell laptop.
3. Press the “F12” key when you see the “Dell Logo”.
4. Keep pressing the “F12” key until the “Preparing one time boot” menu is visible.
5. Now, tap “UEFI BOOT” and choose the media type for your device.
6. Next, choose the “Keyboard language” as you like.
7. On the “Choose an option” screen, tap on “Troubleshoot”.
8. Choose the “Recover from a drive” option. Once the procedure is complete, the Dell laptop black screen will be fixed.
Quick Note: Before you perform this method, we will advise you to backup your data in an external storage device as it will be erased during this procedure.
How to Troubleshoot Dell Inspiron Black Screen?
The Dell Inspiron black screen error is not new. Users often report that on this model, the Dell laptop turns on but screen is black. In the sections coming up, you will discover 2 foolproof methods for fixing the Dell Inspiron black screen error. These methods include hard reset or forced restart and removing the third party programs on the Dell Inspiron laptop.
Fix 1 – Hard Reset/Forced Restart Inspiron Laptop
Dell Inspiron black screen can be easily corrected by a hard reset or forced restart. Take a look at the 6 steps to execute this fix.
1. Press the “Power” button until the power light closes and the Dell Inspiron Laptop gets shut.
2. Remove its AC adapter/power cord from the power source. You can also remove the battery if possible.
3. Remove the external devices connected to the Dell Inspiron Laptop.
4. Now place back the battery and tap the laptop’s “Power” button for 20 seconds.
5. Also, plug in the AC adapter/power cord.
6. Press the “Power” button again to turn on the laptop.
When your device turns on, the Dell laptop screen goes black randomly error on this model will get solved.
Fix 2 – Remove Third-party Programs on Inspiron Laptop
Dell Inspiron black screen or the Dell laptop won’t boot up black screen error on this model can be resolved immediately by removing or even repairing the third-party programs. These programs may be corrupt and cause problems such as the Dell Inspiron black screen error. Consider the 6 steps given here to remove or repair these programs.
1. Go to the “Start” menu.
2. Click on “Control Panel”.
3. Open “Programs” and select “Programs and Features”.
4. Choose the third party programs you want to repair or remove.
5. If you can see the option of “Repair” then click on it. If not, then tap “Change”.
6. Go through the on-screen instructions to finish the process for fixing the Dell laptop black screen on Inspiron.
How to Troubleshoot Dell Computer Black Screen?
In this part of the blog, we will tell you how to fix the Dell computer black screen error with easy methods. The 4 methods given below come with instructions too. Read every method carefully to fix error in no time.
Fix 1 – Check Connection on Windows 10 Computer
There may be connection problems with your Dell laptop Windows 10. Problems with connection will cause the Dell computer black screen and also restrict you from signing into your account. So, check that the established connection is receiving proper signals, the monitor is connected to power, and the output being used is correct.
Fix 2 – Refresh Connection on Windows 10 Computer
Refreshing the connection on Dell Computer Windows 10 will help you settle the Dell monitor black screen. Take a look at the steps for this.
1. Press the “Windows” key, “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and the “B” letter key at the same time.
2. The video driver will get restarted. Now, wait for the connection to be refreshed. Soon, the problem will be settled.
Fix 3 – Remove Extra Devices Connected to Computer
To escape the Dell computer black screen error, we will suggest you to remove any non-essential devices such as printer, camera, and USB connection to the system. Then restart the Dell computer.
Fix 4 – Resolve Windows Explorer on Computer
1. Open the “Task Manager” by pressing the “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and “Esc” key together.
2. Tap “More details”.
3. Click on “Processes”.
4. Right-click on “Windows Explorer” and click “Restart” to remove the error.
This blog has been filled with amazing solutions for Dell computer black screen and Dell laptop black screen. Drop your thoughts and let us know which fix worked the best for you.
Before you go, do you know what to do when your Dell laptop won’t turn on? Or do you want to learn How to reset Dell laptop? When it comes to Dell laptops, we know it all. Read our guides and see how these can help you.