Have you ever wondered looking at the iPhone Lock with Circle Icon? Do you know what this lock is and what exactly is its usage?
For those of you who do not know anything about this lock, we will be telling you everything in this blog. From defining this lock to enabling and disabling it, we will be sharing every piece of information with you.
Let’s start reading this post now.
What is the Lock with Circle on iPhone?
Let us first understand the meaning of iPhone lock with circle icon. A lock with circle around it on iPhone is generally called the Screen Rotation Lock or Portrait Orientation lock. This helps you to switch the mobile screen from portrait to landscape mode or vice versa.
When you see the lock with circle arrow on iPhone, it indicates that the screen rotation lock or the orientation lock is enabled. You can disable this iPhone symbol lock with circle if required later.
What is the Use of iPhone Lock with Circle?
People prefer to set the screen orientation in the portrait mode just as exactly as they hold their phone. However, there are instances wherein people desire to switch the orientation especially while using video streaming apps.
Apple iPhone lock with circle arrow (portrait orientation lock) enables you to activate the screen lock so that you can rotate your screen in a way you want.
How to Enable or Disable iPhone Lock with Circle Icon on Latest iOS Versions?
Most of the users are unaware of the screen lock feature. Therefore, this blog will now demonstrate how to enable or disable the iPhone lock symbol with circle arrow. These methods can be used for both older and latest iOS versions.
How to Enable Screen Orientation Lock on Latest iOS Versions (iOS 13 or Later)?
iOS 13.7 is the latest version running on iPhones. If you use iOS 13.1 or later then you can go through the following steps to enable a screen lock with circle on iPhone.
- On your iPhone, swipe up the screen from the bottom to access “Control Centre”.
- Here, you will find a number of actions in which you need to tap on a lock sign with circle on iPhone.
- Tap on it. This will enable this “Portrait Orientation Lock”.
Note: Now that you have enabled the portrait orientation lock, your phone screen cannot move to the landscape mode unless you watch video streaming apps such as Netflix. In other words, after activating the portrait orientation lock, your phone screen gets locked only in Portrait mode.
How to Disable Lock with Circle on iPhone on Latest iOS Versions (iOS 13 or Later)?
iPhone symbols on top of screen lock with circle can annoy you at times. Moreover, these restrict you from using your phone apps in landscape mode. For instance, you prefer to use a wide keyboard with a large view. However, you cannot use it due to the activated portrait orientation lock.
Are you willing to get rid of that icon? Do you want to rotate your screen to landscape orientation? You can simply disable the iPhone symbol lock with circle. To do so, follow these steps.
- Swipe up the screen from the bottom on your iPhone.
- View the “Control Centre”.
- You can tap the lock with circle around it on iPhone.
- This will disable the “Portrait Orientation Lock”.
Note: Since you have disabled the portrait orientation lock, you can launch any app and tilt your phone to view the screen in landscape orientation.
How to Recognize the Active or Inactive Orientation Lock on Latest iPhone Models?
If the iPhone lock with a circle around displays in White color, then it indicates that your phone screen orientation is activated in Portrait mode.
On the other hand, the iPhone symbol lock with a circle around it can appear in Gray color. Then it indicates that the Portrait screen orientation is disabled. Tapping on the orientation lock, you can turn it on and off easily directly from the Control Centre.
How to Enable or Disable Orientation lock on Older iOS Versions?
There are a few iPhone users who use older iOS versions such as iOS 7. Although it is not a complex process to enable or disable the orientation lock, there is a slight change in the lock appearance.
The steps you have read above can be executed on iOS 13 or later versions on iPhone. Those who use older iPhone models such as iPhone 5 and 6 with older versions such as iOS 7 can go through the steps in the following sections to enable or disable the Orientation lock.
How to Enable Screen Orientation Lock on Older iOS Versions (iOS 7)?
Models like iPhone 5s symbol lock with circle can be enabled in just a few taps. The only difference is with the iPhone lock symbol with circle arrow. To understand better, check out these steps.
- Double-tap “Home” button on your iPhone. This will bring up a separate section from the bottom.
- Now, you can swipe this separate section to the right.
- At this point, you will discover a “Silver” button that has an iPhone 5 lock with circle icon. Tap this icon and it will change its appearance.
How to Disable Screen Orientation Lock on Older iOS Versions (iOS 7)?
In some cases, you might not be willing to keep the phone screen orientation locked. If that is the case then you can disable the iPhone 5s symbol lock with circle. Here is what you need to do to turn off the portrait orientation lock.
- Hit the “Home” button twice on your iPhone. This will get a separate section (Control Centre) from the bottom.
- Swipe this “Control Centre” section to the right.
- Tap the “Silver” button that has an iPhone 5 lock with circle icon.
- This will change its appearance after disabling the lock.
It’s that simple! No matter if you use old iPhone models or older versions, the process of activating the Portrait orientation lock is nearly the same.
How to Recognize the Active or Inactive Orientation Lock on Older iPhone Models?
Now that you know what is lock with circle on iPhone, you will understand that it indicates that the orientation lock is enabled. Also, it displays the active lock on the top of your phone screen (in the status bar). And, when you see just a circle with an arrow at the bottom screen, it means the lock is disabled on your iPhone 5 or other older models.
Note: The latest iPhone models with no “Home” button will not show iPhone symbols on top of screen lock with circle due to the less space in the status bar. However, you can make the orientation lock active or inactive. All you are required to swipe up the screen to open the Control Centre and tap the Orientation lock icon.
Exceptional Information About Orientation Lock on iPhone
- When you see a padlock sign on the lock screen but in the status bar then it indicates that your iPhone is locked. You can unlock the lock screen using the Passcode, Face ID, or Touch ID. Remember that the padlock icon does not mean that your orientation lock is enabled.
- If you find the padlock in the status bar, it is the direct sign that the phone orientation lock may be affected. For example, you won’t be able to rotate the screen even while watching videos on the phone.
- You can recognize the type of lock based on the lock appearance. If the lock appears with no arrow around it, then it is your device lock. If you see a lock with circle arrow on iPhone, then it is an orientation lock that you can use to rotate your phone screen.
Hopefully, you have understood the whole concept of the Portrait orientation lock. Now whenever you see a lock with circle around it on iPhone, you’ll know the status of your screen orientation. In one touch, you can enable and disable the screen lock and view your phone screen in portrait or landscape mode as per your preferences.
Most users also wonder “Why is my iPhone battery yellow?” If you too are curious to know what this yellow battery indicates in the iPhone’s status bar, then read this blog. Also, learn with us how to unblock a number on iPhone if you have mistakenly blocked a contact on your phone.