Sometimes you may forget your Windows 7 password. At other times, you may need to change it. For all such situations, we have tons of ways to help you recover or reset your Windows 7 password. Using several built-in features and tools that are easily available, we will show you how you can access your Windows 7 computer or laptop and create a new password. So, let us now jump to learning 15 easy methods for Windows 7 password reset.
How do I Reset My Password on Windows 7?
In this blog, we have shared 15 methods to reset the password of your Windows 7 computer and laptop. We will be using methods like the command prompt method, password reset disk method, installation disk method, etc. We will also be using software programs and tools like Password Refixer, Ophcrack, and Ubuntu. And for those of you who wish to reset the password of Windows 7 laptop or computer without any tools or disks, we have methods for that as well.
Method 1: How to Reset Windows 7 Password Using Command Prompt?
The reset Windows 7 password command prompt method is not only simple but also takes less time. The 6 steps of this method have been provided below.
1. On your Windows 7 system, go to “Start”.
2. In the search box, type in “cmd”.
3. When you see “cmd.exe”, right-click on it and run it as administrator.
4. In the “User account control pop-up”, press “Yes”.
5. Type in the “Net user” command for resetting the administrator password of your Windows 7 system.
6. Then set up a “New password” for your account.
Method 2: How to Reset Administrator Password Windows 7 Safe Mode with Command Prompt?
To reset the Administrator password for Windows 7 in the safe mode via the command prompt, we have mentioned an easy way in this section. For this, you can consider the 5 steps given below.
1. The initial step is to start your Windows 7 system.
2. Press the “F8” key when your system is booting.
3. On the “Advanced boot options” screen, choose the option of “Safe mode with command prompt”. Then tap the “Enter” key. This will enable your computer to start in the safe mode via the command prompt.
4. Running the command prompt using the default administrator advantages is the next step.
5. Now, you can reset the password of your Windows 7 system.
Method 3: How to Reset Windows 7 Admin Password Using Command Prompt on Login Screen?
Do you know that you can reset the administrator password via the command prompt right on your login screen? In case you don’t know the procedure for these, we are here to help you. The reset administrator password Windows 7 command prompt method for this is as follows.
1. Start your Windows 7 system. When you see the “Starting Windows” text displayed, press the “Power” button for 5 seconds.
2. Now, power on your system and select “Launch startup repair (recommended)”. When you select this option, it will boot your system. You will be asked whether you would like to restore your PC. Click on “Cancel”.
3. Allow the “Startup repair” to identify and resolve the problem in your computer. When you see the message “Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically”, tap “View problem details”.
4. To access the “Offline privacy statement of Microsoft” in the notepad, press the last link.
5. In the notepad, tap “File” and click on “Open”. After this, you will see the “File open dialog box” pop-up.
6. Set “All files” instead of the “File of type” option.
7. Next, go to the “C:\windows\system32\sethc.exe” folder. Rename it as a backup file.
8. In the “C:\windows\system32\sethc.exe” folder, locate “cmd.exe”. Rename this to “sethc.exe”.
9. Then exit the dialog boxes that are open. And tap “Finish”.
10. Now, your Windows 7 computer will restart. Land on its login screen.
11. Press the “Shift” key at least 5 times to open the “Command prompt”.
12. Next, reset Windows 7 password using the “Command prompt”.
Make a Note: Once the password of your Windows 7 system has been reset, you can restore the “sethc.exe” back to “cmd.exe”.
Method 4: How to Reset Admin Password on Windows 7 via Reset Disk?
A password reset disk is very useful in resetting your Windows 7 password. In this section, you can learn how to use it in just 9 steps. Before you start performing this method, you will need to create password reset disk Windows 7. Now, let us read the following steps.
1. Start your Windows 7 PC and fill in your “Password”.
2. On entering the wrong password, you will see the “Reset password link”.
3. Plug in the “Password reset disk”.
4. Next, click on the “Reset password link”.
5. Press “Next” in the “Password Reset Wizard”.
6. From the drop-down menu, choose the “Password reset disk” and press “Next”.
7. Now, enter a “New password” and confirm it. Also, provide a “Password hint”. Then press “Next”.
8. Tap “Finish”.
9. Now, using your new password, log in to your Windows 7 system.
Method 5: How to Reset Computer Password Windows 7 with Installation Disk?
For those of you who have an installation disk, you can reset your Windows 7 computer password by using it. Learn how to use the Windows 7 installation disk for resetting your computer password in 10 steps.
1. Restart your Windows 7 computer. Boot it with the help of the Windows 7 installation disk.
2. The “Keyboard” or “Language” setup screen will be visible. Tap the “Repair your computer” link.
3. From the recovery options available, choose “Command prompt”.
4. In the “Command prompt”, fill in the commands given below one by one and press “Enter”.
“ren sethc.exe sethc.exe.bak”
“copy cmd.exe sethc.exe”
5. Now, exit all the windows.
6. Take out the Windows 7 installation disk when your system reboots. Doing so will prevent your computer from rebooting into the DVD.
7. When you are on the login screen, tap the “Shift” key at least 5 times to open the “Command prompt”.
8. Fill in the command “net user user_name new_password” and press “Enter” for resetting Windows 7 password.
9. Now, exit the “Command prompt”.
10. Then using your new password, login into your Windows 7 system.
Method 6: How to Reset Windows 7 Password without Logging in via PCUnlocker?
Do you want to reset Windows 7 password without disk? PCUnlocker can help you with this. PCUnlocker will work wonderfully even when you don’t remember the password of your Windows 7 administrator account or when your account has been locked. Check out how easy it is to use PCUnlocker in just 9 steps.
1. Download “PCUnlocker” on another computer.
2. Keep the “Zip archive” on that computer’s desktop.
3. Extracting the “Zip archive” is the third step.
4. Obtain the “ISO file: pcunlocker.iso” after extracting.
5. Now, you have to burn the “ISO” into a USB flash drive or blank CD. Use “ISO2Disc” or “ImgBurn” freeware for this purpose.
6. Next, use the “USB flash drive” or “CD” for booting your locked computer. While you perform this step, you may be required to change the booting order in BIOS for booting via the optical drive initially.
7. When the booting process is over, choose the account you wish to unlock and press the “Reset password” button. Your Windows 7 computer account will be unlocked now.
8. Remove “USB flash drive” or “CD” and reboot your system.
9. Finally, you can access your account and set up a new password.
Make a Note: In case you do not want to land in a situation wherein you forget your Windows 7 computer password and wish to reset it in no time, we will recommend you to create a password reset disk. You can use the “Control panel” of your system to create the Windows 7 password reset disk.
Method 7: How to Reset Administrator Password in Windows 7 by Factory Reset?
Resetting your Windows 7 computer is one great way of resetting your administrator password. Here, you can find how to factory reset Windows 7 without password. Once your system has been reset, you can access your account and create a new Windows 7 administrator password. Walk through this method in 9 steps only.
1. Restart your Windows 7 computer.
2. When you see the “Windows logo”, tap the “F8” key. Keep holding the key to open the “Advanced boot options menu”.
3. Once the “Advanced boot options menu” appears, choose “Safe mode with command prompt”.
4. Then press the “Enter” key.
5. Provide the command “rstrui.exe” and tap the “Enter” key.
6. On the new screen, choose “Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition”.
7. Then click on “Next”.
8. When the restoration process is over, tap “Finish”. Then your system will restart.
9. Lastly, access your system and set up a new administrator password.
Make a Note: Before you use this method of factory resetting your system to reset admin password Windows 7, we will advise you to prepare a backup of all the important files. Once this method has been performed, all the data and files on your system will be cleared.
Method 8: How to Reset Password on Windows 7 Safe Mode via Administrator?
It will be helpful for you to know that when Windows 7 is installed on your system, a built-in administrator is made. So, when you forget your admin password or wish to reset it, you can use the built-in administrator in the safe mode. We have shown the 8 steps of this method below.
1. The first step is to boot your Windows 7 system.
2. Now, repeatedly tap the “F8” key to open the “Windows advanced options menu”.
3. From the menu, choose the “Safe mode” option and hit “Enter”.
4. Next, using the administrator, log in to your Windows 7 system.
5. Then go to “Start”.
6. Go to the “Control panel”.
7. Click on the “User accounts”.
8. Click on the locked administrator account and reset its password.
Method 9: How to Reset Windows 7 Password without Disk?
For the users of Windows 7 who wish to reset the computer password without any disk, the Windows Password Recovery program will work like a charm. This procedure is only 16 steps long. Let us start reading the following steps.
1. Use another system to download the “Windows Password Recovery program” and then install it.
2. Use this program to make a bootable “Windows password reset disk”.
3. Create a desktop shortcut of the disk and right-click on it. Then choose “Run as administrator”.
4. Now, take a “CD”, “DVD”, or “USB drive” and insert it into the system.
5. When the program is being run, select the “Media type” for creating the recovery disk. Select the device you have used.
6. Tap “Begin burning” to write the image files on the recovery disk. You will be notified when this process is complete.
7. Insert this recovery disk into your Windows 7 system and use it to boot your computer.
8. Next, provide the “BIOS settings”.
9. Select the option to boot from the “CD”, “DVD”, or “USB drive”.
10. Then reboot your Windows 7 system after changing the boot order. Then the process of Windows password recovery will begin.
11. Choose the account you want to reset the password for.
12. Hit the “Reset password” button.
13. In case a pop-up appears, click on “Yes” to confirm.
14. Once the password has been reset, the target user password will be blank. Click on “Reboot”. The recovery disk will be ejected.
15. Then click on “Yes” for restarting your system.
16. When your computer restarts, you can login without requiring any password. You can set up a new password after logging in.
Make a Note: This method for resetting the password of your Windows 7 computer supports NTFS, NTFS5, FAT 16, and FAT 32 file systems. Also, this method will not affect your system, existing files, and data.
Method 10: How to Reset Your Forgotten Windows 7 Password with Ophcrack?
Here is a Windows 7 forgot password reset procedure to unlock your account. In this procedure, we will be using the Ophcrack free application. In case you have never used this application, then you can read our instructions given below.
1. Using a spare system, go to the “Ophcrack download page” from the browser.
2. The next step is to download the “Ophcrack Vista/7 LiveCD”.
3. Now, use a “CD” or “DVD” for burning the “ISO image file” into it. You can use the “UltraISO burn program” for this purpose.
4. Now, restart the Windows 7 computer that is password-locked.
5. Then press the “Del” or “F2” key repeatedly to enter the “BIOS setup utility”.
6. When you enter the BIOS screen, use the “CD” or “DVD” to boot your Windows 7 computer”.
7. The “Ophcrack” application will set Windows password recovery on autopilot. Then all the accounts on your computer as well as their passwords will be visible on your screen. Use the locked account’s password to access it.
Method 11: How to Reset My Computer Password Windows 7 with Password Refixer?
Using Windows 7 Password Refixer will be an awesome idea to reset your system’s password. Password Refixer is a Windows 7 login password reset software. The process to use it involves no difficulty. Now, take a look at the 10-step procedure given here.
1. Make a “Bootable disk” on another computer or laptop. For this, download the “Windows 7 Password Refixer”.
2. Insert a “CD”, “DVD”, or “USB” into the computer.
3. Then launch the application “Password Refixer” and burn the “CD”, “DVD”, or “USB”.
4. Wait until you see the message that the burning was successful, the bootable disk will have been created.
5. Insert the bootable disk on the locked Windows 7 computer.
6. Restart your computer.
7. For entering the “BIOS setup utility”, tap the “F2” or “Del” key.
8. Change the “Boot options” to boot your computer via the bootable disk.
9. Once the booting is done, you will see the instructions on your screen to set the Windows 7 password blank.
10. When you access your computer, you can set up a new password easily.
Method 12: How to Reset Laptop Password Windows 7 via Ubuntu?
As you may know, Ubuntu is a kind of Linux OS. It can come in handy when you are trying to reset the password of your Windows 7 laptop. Learn how to use Ubuntu for this purpose in just 5 steps.
1. First, download the latest version of “Ubuntu ISO” on a spare system.
2. Burn “Ubuntu ISO” on a “CD” or “DVD”.
3. Use this “CD” or “DVD” to boot your password-locked Windows 7 laptop.
4. When the burning is successfully complete, click on “Try Ubuntu”.
5. Now, reset the password of your Windows 7 laptop.
Make a note: This method can be used for all versions of Windows.
Method 13: How to Reset Password in Laptop for Windows 7 via Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor Method?
Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor is Windows 7 password reset tool. Many users have reported that this tool works excellently in resetting the password of their Windows 7 laptop. You can use it too. The steps for this method have been shown here.
1. Using a spare system, download the “Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor”. In case you are required to download other programs for this tool, then continue with that.
2. Burn it to a “USB drive”, “CD”, or “DVD disc”.
3. Now, boot the locked laptop using the device.
4. Follow the instructions on your screen to recover the password of your laptop.
5. Then restart your laptop. You will be able to log in without any password.
6. Lastly, access your laptop and set a new password again.
Make a note: Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor is a useful password reset tool. However, it does not work for recovering the domain account password.
Method 14: How to Reset Dell Laptop Password Windows 7?
In this section of the post, we will tell you how to reset your Windows 7 Dell laptop password using the password reset disk. The steps for the same are as follows. Before you perform these steps, make sure that you have a password reset disk.
1. Go to the login screen of your Windows 7 Dell laptop.
2. Insert the “Password reset disk” into it.
3. Then read and perform as per the instructions on the screen.
4. Create a new password for your Dell laptop.
5. Then use the new password for logging in and you are done.
Method 15: How to Reset HP Laptop Password Windows 7?
The HP password reset disk Windows 7 method can aid you exceptionally when you can’t remember the password of your laptop. In this method, we will be using the Windows Password Tuner Program via the reset disk. Let us see the steps for this method.
1. Use a computer or laptop that is accessible and has internet.
2. Download, install, and launch the “Windows Password Tuner Program”.
3. Now, create a password reset disk. For this, insert into the accessible system and press the “Begin burning” button.
4. Insert the password reset disk into the password-locked Windows 7 HP laptop.
5. Then restart your HP laptop.
6. When you see the HP logo, tap the “F9” or “Esc” key repeatedly. Then you will enter the “Boot menu”.
7. Choose the password reset disk in the “Boot menu” and press “Enter”.
8. When the “Windows Password Tuner Program” appears, choose the “Windows 7 Professional system”.
9. Then click on the “User name’
10. Press the “Restart password” button.
11. Hit “Yes” to reset the HP laptop password to blank.
12. Then eject the password reset disk and reboot your HP laptop.
13. Finally, you can login to your HP laptop and create a new password.
Our Concluding Thoughts
In this blog, we revealed to you the easiest of tools, programs, software, and features for unlocking your Windows 7 computer as well as laptop. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully. We hope our methods to recover and reset your Windows 7 password work brilliantly for you. For questions of all kinds, our comment box is right here. Let us know if you need more help with anything.
We are sure that you are now a pro at resetting Windows 7 password. Now, how about learning various ways for Windows 10 password reset as well? If you would like to give this a try, then do read our post.