Reset Windows 7 Password With Or Without Disk, Command Prompt & USB
Forgetting passwords is a very common problem and looking for ways to recover or reset them is a very difficult job. However, Windows 7 provides many different ways to reset your password in different ways.
At times when you face such problem, you can use any of the following ways to reset it. A Windows 7 password reset disk, an installation CD/DVD and command prompt, any of these can be used to reset Windows password. Follow these steps to easily reset your password.
How to reset Windows 7 password without Disk
Windows automatically creates a built-in administrator while system installation. If you have enabled this built-in Administrator but did not set a password, the password should be blank by default. To access the built-in administrator and rest other accounts passwords you can boot your Windows 7 computer into Safe Mode.
- Start your computer and press the F8 key when the computer is booting. This will take you to the Advanced Boot Options screen.
- When the Advanced Boot Options screen appears, select the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option by using the ‘up’ or ‘down’ keys and press enter.
- This should make your computer start in safe mood and get into the built-in Administrator in the Command Prompt window.
- Now, run the command Net User <Username> <New Password>.
- When “The command completed successfully” is displayed, your Windows 7 password has successfully been changed.
Reset Windows 7 Password Using command prompt
- On the lock screen, under the password input box, select the Alternate Login option.
- Choose another local administrator account or the built-in default administrator account and sign in through them.
- After successfully logging in to the system, open the Command Prompt by typing ‘cmd’ in the search bar and selecting the option that comes up. This will open the ‘Command Prompt with Admin Rights’ as you are logged in with the admin account.
- You can also open Command Prompt by pressing the ‘Windows+R’ keys to open the Run window and typing ‘cmd’ to open the Command Prompt.
- Once the Command Prompt window is opened, type the command ‘net user <username> <new password>’ to change the password of the user. Type the name of the account in place of <username> and type the new password for that account in place of <new password>.
- To execute this command, press enter.
- The password for the Windows 7 admin will be reset.
Reset Windows 7 password using USB
There are other ways to perform Windows 7 password reset. Take a look at the following;
- You will need a bootable USB drive or CD/DVD for this process.
- Insert your bootable USB flash drive into your Windows 7 computer.
- Start your computer and press Delete or F2 to open the BIOS Setup Utility.
- Change the boot options and set your computer to boot from the USB drive or the CD/DVD.
- When the booting is finished, follow the guide to reset the password of Windows 7 computer.