If the touchpad of your HP laptop is not working, then you can leave the worry to us. In this blog, we have come up with various fixes to troubleshoot the problem of HP touchpad not working on Windows 7 and Windows 10.
Let’s first understand the root cause of the touchpad issue on your device. And then we’ll find out the fixes for these.
Why is My Touchpad Not Working on My HP Laptop?
The causes of the problem of your HP laptop touchpad not working on Windows 7 and Windows 10 have been shown below. Let’s read them.
1. You may not have enabled the option of the touchpad in the settings of your HP laptop.
2. The touchpad driver of your HP laptop may not have been updated.
3. Any unresolved hardware issues on your device may be causing the touchpad to not work.
4. Your system drivers may not have been updated.
5. The mouse drivers may be affected.
6. Any third party applications may be causing problems with the touchpad of your HP laptop.
How to Fix HP Laptop Touchpad Not Working?
HP laptop keyboard and touchpad not working error can be resolved in many ways. Here, you can find 7 fixes for resolving this error.
In these fixes, you will get to know how to fix the touchpad not working on your device via the settings, by updating the touchpad driver, by settling the hardware issues, etc. Read more about these solutions below.
Fix 1: Enable Touchpad Service on Your HP Laptop
The problem of HP touchpad not working can be simply fixed by enabling the touchpad service. You will not be able to use the touchpad if this service has been disabled. For enabling it, you can follow 2 methods. The details of these methods have been shown below.
Method 1: Enable Touchpad Service by Checking Dot
The HP laptop touchpad not working problem can be fixed by enabling the touchpad via a dot. On the upper left corner of your HP laptop’s touchpad pane, you will find this dot. Tap twice on this dot. And the touchpad service will get enabled.
Method 2: Enable Touchpad Service via Settings
“Why my touchpad is not working on HP laptop?” One possible reason for this is that the touchpad service may not have been enabled in the settings of your device. To enable it in the settings, you can read the 8 steps given below.
1. On your HP laptop’s keyboard, tap the “Windows” and “X” keys together.
2. Tap on “Settings” from the menu.
3. Now, choose “Devices”.
4. Tap on “Mouse and Touchpad”.
5. Select “Additional Mouse Options”.
6. Now, click on the “Touchpad” tab. This option may also be available as “Device Settings” tab or “Hardware” tab. In this tab, ensure that the touchpad has been enabled.
7. Now, reboot your HP laptop.
8. After your HP laptop starts, the final step is to check whether the touchpad problem has been fixed.
Fix 2: Update Touchpad Driver on Your HP Laptop
Not having an updated touchpad driver can be the reason for the issue of HP laptop keyboard and touchpad not working. Let us see the following 4-step procedure to update the touchpad driver quickly.
1. Visit the official website of your laptop’s manufacturer.
2. Search for the latest touchpad driver which is compatible with your HP laptop.
3. Download and install the touchpad driver.
4. After the installation of the touchpad driver is complete, trying using your HP laptop to ensure that the touchpad and keyboard problem has been fixed.
Fix 3: Resolve Hardware Issues Via Troubleshooter on Your HP Laptop
The next fix for troubleshooting the mouse touchpad not working on HP error requires you to remove any hardware issues on your device. You can run the troubleshooter of your HP laptop for resolving the hardware issues. To know the details of this method, read the 9 steps given below.
1. On your HP laptop, go to the “Control Panel”.
2. Tap on “Troubleshooting”.
3. Select “Hardware and Sound”.
4. The fourth step is to tap on “Hardware and Device”.
5. Now, click on “Next”.
6. Wait until the troubleshooting process finds and resolves the problems.
7. Then go through the instructions as per the wizard.
8. Now, reboot your HP laptop.
9. Lastly, check that the touchpad of your device is working finely after rebooting.
Fix 4: Restart Your HP Laptop
Here we have one of the simplest fixes to clear the problem of your HP laptop mouse touchpad not working. In this fix, we will suggest you restart your HP laptop. Even though all of you would be knowing the steps for this, we have mentioned them below.
1. Save all the work you had been doing on your HP laptop.
2. Turn off all the programs that are running at present.
3. Then click on the “Start Menu” and choose the option to shut down your laptop.
4. Now, start your HP laptop again.
5. End the procedure by checking that the touchpad is working now.
Fix 5: Update Drivers on Your HP Laptop
Updating the drivers is quite an effective solution for resolving the touchpad not working for HP laptop problem. For updating them, you can try the 7 steps given below.
1. Press together the “Windows” and “R” keys on your keyboard.
2. In “Run”, type in “devmgmt.msc”. Then hit “Enter”.
3. Expand the Window of “Mice and Other Pointing Devices”.
4. In the “Synaptics” device and tab, keep pressing “Enter” till you access the “Drivers” tab.
5. Choose the option to update the drivers.
6. When the drivers have been updated, you can restart your HP laptop.
Note for Readers: In case any USB mouse or other such device has been plugged into your HP laptop, you can remove it now.
7. Now, check that the problem of the HP touchpad not working has been cleared.
Fix 6: Reinstall Mouse Drivers on Your HP Laptop
Now, let us learn how to fix HP laptop touchpad not working by removing and then reinstalling the mouse drivers. For this fix, you will have to perform the 8 steps mentioned as follows.
1. Tap the “Windows” key and “R” key together.
2. In “Run”, type in “Control” and press “Enter”.
3. In the “Device Manager” window, expand the section of “Mice and Other Pointing Devices”.
4. Right-click on the “Touchpad” to uninstall the devices.
5. Confirm by pressing “Yes”.
6. The sixth step is to restart your HP laptop.
7. Now, download and install the mouse drivers again.
8. The ending step is to check whether the problem has been fixed.
Fix 7: Enable Touchpad via Function Keys on Your HP Laptop
“My HP laptop touchpad mouse is not working. What is the quickest fix?” Are you also looking for the same? The quickest fix for you in such a situation is to use the function keys for enabling the touchpad. Quickly press the “Fn” key along with the “Touchpad” key of your device. And the touchpad will get enabled.
How to Fix HP Laptop Touchpad Not Working on Windows 7 Problem?
“My touchpad is not working on HP Windows 7. What is the fix for this”. You will find the fixes for this problem on your HP laptop Windows 7 in the following sections. These fixes include enabling the touchpad from the settings of your device as well as reinstalling the mouse drivers. Let’s get to know the details of these fixes now.
Fix 1: Enable Touchpad via Settings on Your HP Laptop Windows 7
The most likely reason for the error of the touchpad not working on Windows 7 HP laptop is the option for this being disabled in the settings. To enable the option of the touchpad on your Windows 7 HP laptop, the 5 steps shown here will be useful.
1. Click on “Start” on your HP laptop Windows 7.
2. Now, open the “Control Panel”.
3. Click twice on “Mouse”.
4. In the “Device Settings” tab, enable the touchpad.
5. Now, try to use your HP laptop’s touchpad. It will work flawlessly now.
Fix 2: Reinstall Mouse Driver on Your HP Laptop Windows 7
The error of the HP touchpad scroll not working on Windows 7 can result due to any bug in the existing mouse driver. Or the mouse driver may have become out of date.
You can remove and reinstall the mouse driver on your HP laptop Windows 7 to fix the problem. Now, read the 8 steps given below to remove and reinstall the mouse driver.
1. On your HP laptop Windows 7, open the “Start Menu”.
2. Click on the option of “Control Panel”.
3. Now, tap on “Mice and Other Pointing Devices”.
4. Locate the “Touchpad Device” option. Right-click on it and choose “Uninstall”.
5. Press “Yes” to confirm.
6. Now, restart your HP laptop Windows 7.
7. After restarting your device, go to the official website of HP.
8. Then install the mouse driver once again. Now, you will not face any problem while using the touchpad of your HP laptop Windows 7.
How to Fix HP Touchpad Not Working on Windows 10 Problem?
Let us now look at the fixes for HP laptop touchpad not working on Windows 10. These fixes include performing a clean boot, enabling the touchpad option via the settings, running the HP diagnostics, etc.
Fix 1: Perform a Clean Boot on Your HP Laptop Windows 10
Do you know that performing a clean boot can effectively troubleshoot the problem of touchpad not working on Windows 10 HP laptop? Let us find out how to perform a clean boot on your device in 15 steps.
1. Launch “Run” and type in “msconfig”. Then press “Ok”.
2. In the “General” tab, select “Selective Startup”.
3. Untick “Load Startup Items”.
4. In the “Select Service” tab, tick “Hide All Microsoft Services”.
5. Tap “Disable All”.
6. In the “Startup” tab, tap “Open Task Manager”. Also, select “Disable All”.
7. Press “Ok” and restart your HP laptop Windows 10.
8. Open “Run” and type in “msconfig”. Press “Enter”.
9. In the “Service” tab, select “Hide All Microsoft Services”.
10. In the “Service List”, choose half of the boxes and press “Enable”.
11. Now, press “Ok” and restart your system.
12. Ensure that the problem of Windows 10 HP touchpad not working has been resolved.
13. Then open “Run” and type in “msconfig”. Then press “Ok”.
14. In the “General” tab, choose “Normal Startup” and press “Ok”.
15. Click on “Restart” when prompted and the clean boot procedure will be complete.
Fix 2: Enable Touchpad via Settings on Your HP Laptop Windows 10
The issue of your HP laptop touchpad not working properly on Windows 10 may be arising due to the touchpad being disabled in the settings. Try enabling the touchpad to fix the issue. Here is how you can do it.
1. Press together “Windows” and “I” keys.
2. Choose “Devices”.
3. Choose “Touchpad” on the left.
4. Press the toggle button under the “Touchpad” to enable it.
5. Reboot your HP laptop Windows 10 for saving the changes.
6. End the procedure by seeing whether the touchpad problem has been fixed.
Fix 3: Enable Touchpad via BIOS Configuration on HP Laptop Windows 10
HP touchpad and keyboard not working can be perceived as a minor flaw. And the simple troubleshooting measure for this flaw is to enable the touchpad option from the BIOS configuration. This will settle the problem quickly. The following are the steps you need to do.
1. Boot your HP laptop Windows 10.
2. When the “Boot Screen” is visible, press “F8” or “F2” or “Del” key.
3. Ensure that the “Touchpad” option has been enabled.
4. Now, start your computer and use it normally. The touchpad issue will have been settled.
Fix 4: Enable Touchpad via Mouse Properties on Your HP Laptop Windows 10
The HP laptop touchpad not working orange light error can occur when the touchpad has been disabled in the mouse properties. To enable it via the mouse properties, you can read the 8 steps given below.
1. Tap the “Windows” and “I” keys at the same time.
2. The second step is to choose “Devices”.
3. From the left, choose “Mouse”.
4. Tap “Additional Mouse Options”.
5. In the “Mouse Properties”, go to the last tab.
Note for Readers: The name of the last tab in the “Mouse Properties” can vary. It may be named as “Synaptics” or “ELAN” or “Device Settings” as per the model.
6. Choose your device and press “Enable”.
7. Save changes by rebooting your HP laptop Windows 10.
8. Ensuring that the issue of laptop touchpad not working properly on HP has been cleared is the final step.
Fix 5: Use HP Diagnostics on Your HP Laptop Windows 10
In HP laptop touchpad is not working is a very common problem. For resolving this problem, you can use the HP diagnostics on your device. If you don’t know how to run it, then the 4 steps given below will be helpful.
1. Look for “HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows” application on your device.
Note for Readers: In case you are not able to find the “HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows” application on your HP laptop Windows 10, you can download the recent version of the application from the official website of HP.
2. Click on “System Tests” from the “Main Menu”.
3. Go to the “System Fast Test” tab.
4. Tap “Run Once”.
Note for Readers: When you run the test, you may want to know the time required for the test to complete. You will be able to see the necessary details of the same on your laptop’s screen.
When the test is successful, you will be able to use the touchpad of your HP laptop Windows 10 without any error. On the off chance that the test is unsuccessful, note the failure ID and convey the same to HP Customer Support.
How to Fix HP EliteBook Touchpad Not Working Problem?
“Why is my touchpad not working on HP EliteBook?” Interference caused by any third-party applications, the out of date system driver, or the option of the touchpad being disabled in the settings could be the answer to your worry.
The error of the touchpad of your HP EliteBook not working can be resolved by updating the system driver and using the function keys. These are among the best fixes for this problem on HP EliteBook. More information about these fixes can be found in the following sections.
Fix 1: Update System Driver on HP EliteBook
When the error of touchpad scroll not working on HP EliteBook arises, you should check if the system driver is updated. If not, then the following set of 10 steps will guide you in updating the system driver.
1. On the keyboard of your HP EliteBook, press the “Windows” key along with the “X” key.
2. In the “Device Manager”, expand “Mice and Other Pointing Devices”.
3. Right-click on the HP EliteBook touchpad. Select “Properties”.
4. In the “HID-compliant Mouse Properties”, tap the “Driver” tab.
5. Click on “Update Driver”.
6. Select “Browse My Computer for Driver Software”.
7. Choose “Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on My Computer”. Then press “Next”.
8. Choose the model HID-compliant device from the pop-up menu.
9. Restart your HP EliteBook after installing the driver update.
10. Now, ensure that the touchpad of HP EliteBook is working.
Fix 2: Enable Touchpad via Function Keys on HP EliteBook
The issue of your laptop touchpad scroll not working on HP EliteBook can exist when the option of the same has not been enabled. You can use the function key for enabling this option. Simply, press the “Fn” key along with the “F5” key on your HP EliteBook. And the touchpad option will get enabled.
How to Fix HP Chromebook Touchpad Not Working Problem?
Here, we will be discussing the issue of HP Chromebook’s touchpad not working. The fix for this problem has been mentioned below. Keep reading to know what this fix is.
Fix 1: Restart Your HP Chromebook and Re-add Your Account
“My touchpad is not working on HP Chromebook. How can I fix it?” When you are in this situation, we will suggest you restart your HP Chromebook and re-add the account on which the touchpad is not working. To do this in the right way, the 7 steps given here will be useful.
1. First, see to it that your device’s touchpad has no dirt or dust particles.
2. Now, tap the “Esc” key a few times.
3. Next, roll your fingers over the keypad of your device for at least 10 seconds.
4. The fourth step is to turn off your HP Chromebook. Then turn it on again.
5. Now, on your device, delete the account on which the touchpad is not working.
6. Then add your account again.
7. Now, check whether the HP Chromebook touchpad not working problem persists or not.
HP Laptop Models Compatible with Fixes
These fixes for removing the touchpad not working issue will be effective for the following HP EliteBook Laptop models.
|HP EliteBook 2170P Laptop||HP EliteBook 2760P Laptop||HP EliteBook 840 Laptop||HP EliteBook 840 G1 Laptop|
|HP EliteBook 840 G5 Laptop||HP EliteBook 850 Laptop||HP EliteBook 850 G3 Laptop||HP EliteBook 8440P Laptop|
|HP EliteBook 8570P Laptop||HP EliteBook 9470M Laptop|
For the HP Pavilion Laptop models shown below, these fixes to resolve the touchpad not working error will be useful.
|HP Pavilion DM4 Laptop||HP Pavilion DV4 Laptop||HP Pavilion DV6 Laptop||HP Pavilion DV7 Laptop|
|HP Pavilion X360 Laptop|
You can use the above-mentioned fixes for the touchpad not working issues on the following HP ProBook Laptop models.
|HP ProBook 440 G3 Laptop||HP ProBook 4510S Laptop||HP ProBook 4530S Laptop||HP ProBook 4540S Laptop|
The fixes mentioned in this blog for troubleshooting the touchpad not working problem can work on the other models of HP laptops such as the ones listed below.
|HP 15 Laptop||HP 630 Laptop||HP 2000 Laptop||HP 9470M Laptop|
|HP 2540P Laptop||HP 8470P Laptop||HP DV5 Laptop||HP Envy X360 Laptop|
|HP Spectre X360 Laptop||HP Stream 11 Laptop||HP TouchSmart TM2 Laptop||HP ZBook Laptop|
We hope, after reading our effective fixes, the touchpad of your HP laptop Windows 7 and Windows 10 has been fixed and is now working smoothly. Here is what you should read next. Take a look at our solutions for the HP printer offline issue and the HP printer paper jam error.