To change payroll date in QuickBooks, one has to determine the processing state of payroll. If you have not submitted the paycheck, you can edit the paycheck date by logging in to your account. However, if the payroll has been processed already, you might need to contact the support team. There are other conditions that are considered for changing the paycheck date, however, it depends if your paycheck has been processed or not. For more details, read this guide to find out how to change payroll date in QuickBooks Online and Desktop.
In this guide, we will show you how to change payroll date in QuickBooks. This guide can be used for QuickBooks Online Payroll Premium, QuickBooks Online Payroll Full Service, and QuickBooks Online Payroll Elite.
- The Procedure of QuickBooks Online Change Payroll Date
The Procedure of QuickBooks Online Change Payroll Date
The date of the paycheck can be changed or edited depending on the state of the payroll. Here, we will talk about two different conditions so that you can follow the steps accordingly.
Condition 1: When the Paychecks Have Not Been Submitted
In case you have not submitted the paycheck yet, you can edit the date from the Preview Payroll page. Make sure you submit the appropriate date.
The following steps will help you to understand better:
- First of all, sign in to your account.
- Go to the “Preview Payroll” page.
- Click on the “Back” button.
- From the top of your screen, you can edit the paycheck date.
- Make sure you choose the “Preview Payroll” option to finish the check.
- Once done, click on the “Submit” button.
Condition 2: When the Paychecks Have Been Submitted
In case the payroll has been already sent before its time and date then you can simply delete it. By doing so, you can recreate the paycheck in your account with the correct date.
You can follow these detailed steps for that:
- Go to the “Homepage”.
- Choose the “View Paycheck List” under the activities.
- Here, you need to choose the checkbox for each paycheck that you want to delete.
- Now, you would see two buttons below the paycheck; “Print” and “Delete”. You will see these buttons when you select one or more checks.
- After that, you can scroll down till the end and choose the “Delete” button.
- In case you are exporting to QuickBooks then make sure you delete the check from the QB “Bank Register”. All you have to do is click right on your check and choose the “Delete Check ” option.
Once done with these steps, you can create the paycheck again. Make sure you enter the information correctly this time. So, this is the entire procedure of QuickBooks Online change payroll date when the payroll has not been processed. But, if the payroll has been processed already or you are unable to change the date then you can connect with the QuickBooks support team.
Important Note on Paycheck Submission Before or After the Check Date
This should be noted that if you are submitting the payroll 1 business day before a check date then the payroll will start processing at 5 PM PT 1 business date before the date of the check. But, if you have not submitted the payroll on a paycheck date then your payroll will be processed at 7 AM PT on the date of the check.
How to Change Payroll Date in QuickBooks Desktop?
QuickBooks Desktop Payroll users can easily change the paycheck date, however, it depends on what state your payroll is. If the payroll has not been sent yet, you can recreate the paycheck and enter the correct date. But, if you have created the paycheck and not submitted it yet, voiding the paycheck will be beneficial. Let us show you how to change scheduled payroll date in QuickBooks.
Condition 1: When the Paycheck is Being Created
If you are still creating the paycheck and have not sent the payroll yet, you can go to the Review and Create Paycheck page and edit the paycheck date. Get into more details:
- To edit the paycheck date, go to the “Review and Create Paychecks” screen. If your paycheck is still being created then click on the “Back” option.
- After that, you can go to the “Enter Payroll Information” section and edit the paycheck date as preferred.
Condition 2: When the Paycheck is Created but Not Submitted
If you have already created the paycheck but have not submitted then you can simply void the check. By doing so, you can create the new paycheck and add the correct date.
Follow these steps for better insights:
- Go to the “Employees” menu.
- Click on the “Edit/Void Paycheck”.
- Now, you can add the date range so that you can locate the paycheck.
- After that, choose the paycheck in order to edit it.
- At this point, you can delete the paycheck to create the new one if it was created already but not submitted.
Important Note on Payroll Submission Before or After the Check Date
This should be noted that QuickBooks Payroll starts processing at 5 PM PT 2 business before the date of the check. In case you have sent the payroll then you can void and recreate your paycheck (if it is before the time and date).
- Once you void the paycheck, send a 0 payroll.
- After that, you can create the paycheck. Make sure you add the right date this time.
Performing these steps, you can easily change payroll date in QuickBooks Desktop. But, one has to be sure about the processing state and time.
QuickBooks allows you to create and submit the payroll. However, while entering the details manually, it is common to make mistakes. In case you have entered the wrong date in the payroll, you can change or edit it. All you have to do is determine the processing state of payroll and the time. Thereafter, you can edit the details accordingly. In this guide, we have shown you the entire procedure of QuickBooks Online change payroll date including the Desktop version.
You might need to change other dates in QuickBooks such as reconciliation date or start date. If so, read the following guides for better understanding: