Do you want to know how to change a vendor to an employee in QuickBooks? If yes, you are on the right platform. Here, we will teach you the procedure of changing roles in QuickBooks, edit names, and more. Let’s get started!
In this guide, you will read about the following ideas:
- Learn about Changing Vendor Names in QuickBooks
- How to Edit Other Name in QuickBooks?
- Some Possible Issues While Changing the Name Type
- How to Change Employee to Vendor in QuickBooks?
Learn about Changing Vendor Names in QuickBooks
Despite the good features of QuickBooks, it does not allow you to change a vendor to the employee or the Name Type. QuickBooks only supports changing ‘Other Names’ of employee, vendor, or customer. Yet if you wish to change the vendor to employee or customer to the employee then you have to delete the original record or turn it inactive. You can also Merge Vendors in Quickbooks.
However, transactions that are associated with the record need to be inactive because the records with transactions cannot be deleted. Thereafter, you can make a new employee or vendor. Let us know more in detail about changing vendor name types.
How to Edit Other Name in QuickBooks?
Currently, there is no option present in QuickBooks to change the name type to another named type such as changing a customer to a vendor or changing a vendor to a customer or employee and changing an employee to a vendor or customer.
To change the name type, you can pick any of the following options that are available in QuickBooks. Here we go.
- Firstly, you will have to delete the name and create another name under the proper name type. You need to keep one thing in your mind that it works only if there are no transactions associated with a specific name.
- Then, you can visit the Center (Vendor Center, Customer Center, or Employee Center) where the name is present.
- Next to this, click right on the name and select Delete (Customer: Vendor, Job, Employee).
- In the next option, you can inactive the name and create it again under the right name type. This works when the transaction is associated with a particular name.
- After that, you can go to the Center (Vendor Center, Customer Center, or Employee Center) where the name exists.
- Then, you can click right on the name and select Make (Customer: Vendor, Job, Employee) inactive.
Note: The other name can be changed to different name types such as Customer, Employee, or Vendor. However, after the changes, it cannot be altered.
Some Possible Issues While Changing the Name Type
There are times when you encounter issues while editing the name type to another vendor, customer, or employer. Generally, your screen displays this error: “The name supplied already exists. Another customer, employee, or vendor is already using this name”.
If you encounter such errors, you should know the reason behind this so that you can treat the error accordingly. The error may cause due to the following reasons.
- When you try to import the data from QuickBooks Desktop or while you turn on the payroll after you add employees in QuickBooks online.
- Sometimes the vendor, customer, or employee name already exists in QuickBooks Online, this is why you face errors while changing the name type.
How to Change the Display Name?
Now, if you prefer to change the display name, you can do it by signing in to the QuickBooks company file. Below are the following actions that can be followed to change the display name:
- First of all, sign up/sign in to your QuickBooks Online Company File.
- Next to this, you can click on Expenses and select the Vendor option.
- Now, you can select the name of the duplicate vendor.
- Thereafter, you can select the Edit option.
Note: You can click on Sales and then Customers in order to find the duplicates in your customer list.
- Next to this, you can change the Display name as per the format.
- Then, save the names.
This is how you can change the display names in QuickBooks. All you have to log in to the company file, choose the vendor option, and select the name to edit.
How to Edit the Duplicate or Make it Inactive?
If the error still persists, it indicates that there is more than one duplicate in your customer list. In this case, you can select duplicates and inactive them. For this, you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- As the first step, you can select Sales, Workers, Expenses, or Employees, as per your choice, and then select Customer, Employees, and Vendors.
- In the next step, you can search for the duplicate vendor, employees, or customer.
- After that, you can click on the Edit option.
- At this point, you can add digits at the end of names by visiting the Display name as the field.
Note: If it is not required for the profile then you can select Make Inactive. For making an existing name inactive, you need to also permit to add a new and identical name.
- Once you are done, you can click on Save.
These are the possible ways to deal with the duplicate names in the customer list. All you have to do is find the duplicate name and edit the display name to make it distinctive.
How to Change Employee to Vendor in QuickBooks?
To change employee to vendor in QuickBooks, you just have to create a New Vendor and then enter the employee’s transactions as checks. After this, you can inactive the employee.
Must Read: How to Add an Account to QuickBooks Online?
So let us start creating checks. By doing so, you can track the expenses and organize your bank statement reconciliation and checking account. You can go through the following steps to create checks.
- Firstly, click on the Create icon.
- Then, select the Check option under the Vendors option.
- Now you can click on Payee with the help of the drop-down menu.
- After this, choose a bank account where money will be withdrawn.
- Then, you can fill the check field.
Note: When you receive the Memo field. Enter text in the register, on reports, or print checks which include this check.
- At this point, you are required to pick the Print or Preview option for printed checks
- Thereafter, click on Save and close the window.
Now you can write checks in QuickBooks Online. If there are other checks to write then it would be better to insert them from the Register or download the transaction from the bank.
Once you enter the employee’s transaction to check, you can inactive the employee.
How to Add, Edit, or Inactive an Employee?
Before you make the employee inactive, you need to learn how to add and edit the employee. To do so, look for the following steps stated below:
Add an Employee
- To add an employee, go to “Workers”.
- Click on the “Employees”.
- Choose the “Add an Employee” option.
- After inserting the employee’s information, you can save it.
Edit an Employee
- To edit an employee’s information, go to the “Worker” option.
- Click on the “Employees” option.
- Hit the “Action” option.
- Select the “Edit” button.
- After editing the information, save it.
Inactive an Employee
- To make an employee inactive, go to the “Worker” option.
- Click on the “Employees” option.
- Hit the “Action” option.
- Choose the “Make Inactive” option by using the drop-down menu.
These are the easy ways to add, edit, and make the employee inactive in your QuickBooks account. If required, you can change the inactive employee to active. Continue reading to know more.
How to Make an Inactive Customer Active in QuickBooks Online?
In case you are thinking about how to make an inactive customer active in QuickBooks Online, this can be done right through the QuickBooks Settings. Go through the following steps to understand better.
- To make an employee active again, you can click on the “Gear” icon located under the “Add an employee”.
- Then, choose the “Include inactive” option.
- After that hit the “Make active” button.
Once you are done following these steps, the status of the employee will be changed from inactive to active.
How to Change Customer to Vendor in QuickBooks?
As mentioned earlier, there is no delete button to remove the customer. The only way to do so is to make the customer inactive from the list so that it does not appear in the Customer contact list report.
When you use custom reports for sales make sure that there is no inactive customer in the report. You can also go through the steps.
- Select Reports and search for the sales in customer reports.
- Then, select the customize button.
- Go with the Filter option.
- Click on the Customer box and select a customer name whom you want to include in the report.
- Then, click on Run report.
While you change a customer to a vendor or vice versa in QuickBooks, it will change the process of automation. These changes might affect your data associated with any person. So you can store the information using notes.
The Bottom Line
In QuickBooks, you can easily change vendor name type, inactive employee, and make inactive customers active again. To make the process easier, we have provided you some information about changing the vendor to an employee or vice versa.
Apart from this, if you want to know how to import accountant’s copy in QuickBooks, you can go through this blog to understand in detail.