While using spreadsheets like Excel, users may experience instances where deleting massive entries of inventory items becomes essential. Turning to QB can save your time in this process and also lighten the complex work. Henceforth, you should learn how to make multiple items inactive in QuickBooks.
Deleting multiple items in the accounting software requires the selection of the Edit tab. Through this tab, the entries can be chosen as per preferences and then deleted. Instead of deleting the items, you can also make them inactive in the QBDT or QuickBooks Desktop application with the use of the List option. This tab contains the information of all the items present in the software and lets you process your requirements.
Why should You Delete/Inactive Multiple Inventory Items in QuickBooks?
Users who operate accounting software or data-analyzing and data-oriented applications such as spreadsheets/QuickBooks can encounter circumstances where it becomes necessary to delete large entries. It might also happen that you have copied the wrong inventory items from another spreadsheet, you may not need them. Hence, removing multiple items in QuickBooks can save your time and effort rather than deleting the items one by one.
How Do I Delete Multiple Items in QuickBooks?
Deleting multiple items in QuickBook can be performed with the use of the Edit button. The Lists button is to be selected. Press the Item List tab and look for the items that you want to delete. After that, you need to move to the menu bar. Here, you need to find the Edit option to go further.
Complete the given process to see how to delete multiple items in QuickBooks:
- In the QB menu, click on “Lists”.
- Select “Item List” if you are using a “Windows” operating system.
- Then opt for the items that are going to be deleted.
Note: As a Mac user, you need to directly choose the items.
- In the menu bar, find and click on the “Edit” button.
- Now, pick “Delete Item”.
Your chosen items will get deleted after selecting the button. Since the process may take a while, you can wait.
How to Delete All Items in QuickBooks Desktop for Inventory?
If you want to delete all the items for the inventory in QBDT, you can do so by using the Item List feature. You are required to head to the Lists option in the menu. Next, you will have to click on the Item List tab. Among the items present in the list, opt for that one that you have to delete. The selected file is to be right-clicked to find the necessary option for removal.
Here’s how to delete multiple inventory items in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Tap on the “Lists” tab.
- Press the “Item List” button.
- You need to opt for the item that is to be deleted.
- Then right-click on the chosen item.
- Select the “Delete Item” option.
Likewise, you will have to delete the different QuickBooks items.
The rest of the process will let you know how to make multiple items inactive in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Visit “QuickBooks Premier”/“Desktop”/“Online”.
- Look for the “List” button.
- Among the drop-down options, choose “Item List”.
- Opt for the items that you want to make inactive.
- You need to right-click on the items on the list.
- From the drop-down, pick “Make Item Inactive”.
- A pop-up will appear on the screen stating “The Item is the Part of Group”. Then tap on “Yes”.
- For checking the items that you could not find in the list, move to the dialog box.
- Put a tick beside the “Include Inactive” checkbox.
- In the given drop-down menu, go for “View”.
- Tap on “All”.
- Below the dialog box of “List”, check the box of “Include Inactive”.
- A new column of inactive items will be created on the left side of the window.
- Now, an “X” sign will be assigned to all the inactive items in that column. It should indicate that the process has been successful. Please check for its presence.
Tip: For reactivating the inactive items, click on the “X” icon and continue following the directions that come up on the page.
Points to Know before Deleting Multiple QuickBooks Items
It can be suggested to ensure that once you have started the procedure for deleting multiple items, you cannot perform any other process in the accounting software. You need to wait until the deletion is complete.
Prior to finding out how to delete multiple items in QuickBooks or its versions, these points should also be read for smooth execution.
- Try not to delete numerous or all the items in the list at one time.
- In case you have deleted an item by mistake, look for the “List” tab and click on the “Undo” button.
On the Whole
Users can carry out both deletion and inactivation processes in the QuickBooks software based on their preferences. Along with the processes, the blog provided you with reasons for deleting or making the QB inventory items inactive. With this information, your time should be saved and you can make more room for carrying out other important processes.