Besides handling transactions, QuickBooks accounting software allows its users to import invoices. If you require to import the existing data of the company into the QuickBooks program then you can stick to this guide. Here, you will learn how to import invoices into QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop.
In addition, this guide aims to teach you a number of ways to import invoices into QuickBooks 2013, 2014, or 2015 including third-party applications. Without any further ado, let’s get started.
- Different Ways of Importing Invoices in QuickBooks
- 1. Import Invoices into QuickBooks 2013 Desktop
- 2. Import Invoice Data into QuickBooks Online
- Import Invoices into QuickBooks Online without Excel Transactions Software
- Import Invoices into QuickBooks Online using Excel Transactions App
- 3. Import Invoices Into QuickBooks 2014 with IIF Format
- 4. Import Invoices into QuickBooks 2015 using Accountant Batch Entry feature
- 5. Batch Import Invoices QuickBooks Creating Spreadsheet
- 6. Import Invoices to QuickBooks Desktop using CSV Format
Different Ways of Importing Invoices in QuickBooks
QuickBooks users can easily import invoices into QuickBooks 2014 or other versions. This can be done for both individual invoices or multiple invoices. Here, we will show you a step-by-step guide for importing invoices in different ways.
For instance, you can import the invoices in QuickBooks Desktop using Excel files, Import invoices in QuickBooks Online using Excel Transactions apps, using an IIF format, Accountant Batch Entry feature, using CSV file, or batch import by creating a Spreadsheet.
Now let’s understand the procedure of Quickbooks delete invoices.
1. Import Invoices into QuickBooks 2013 Desktop
If you are using QuickBooks Desktop and want to import invoices into QuickBooks from CSV then you can do the following:
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Click on the “File” menu.
- Then, go to the “Utilities” option.
- Click on the “Import” button.
- Now, select the “Excel files” using the drop-down menu.
- Hit the “No” button when prompted in order to add multiple entries.
Once done following these steps, you can complete the procedure by following the on-screen prompts. Then, choose the data type. Thereafter, QuickBooks will launch in a formatted excel spreadsheet for the files.
2. Import Invoice Data into QuickBooks Online
QuickBooks Online can also import the invoices with or without using Excel Transactions program. To do so, carry out these steps:
Import Invoices into QuickBooks Online without Excel Transactions Software
- Login to your “QuickBooks Online”.
- Click on the “File” menu.
- Then, go to the “Utilities” option.
- Click on the “Import” button. This will open the “QuickBooks Import Invoices” window.
- Click on the “Excel files” option.
- Now, select the “Advance Import” and choose the file you wish to import.
- Go to the “Preferences” option and decide how you want QuickBooks to handle the duplicate data or errors.
- Click the “Preview” button to view the invoices.
- Click the “Ok” button and wait for the confirmation to complete the process.
Import Invoices into QuickBooks Online using Excel Transactions App
- Click the “Upload File” menu.
- Look for the spreadsheet and file that have invoices to import.
- Click on the “QuickBooks entity” as Invoices.
- Now, map the column headers with “Invoice fields” in QuickBooks.
- Click the “Import” button in order to add the invoice to QuickBooks.
This is how you can import the invoices in QuickBooks Online. Whichever method you find easy, you can follow that.
3. Import Invoices Into QuickBooks 2014 with IIF Format
When your client sends you an invoice using a third-party application, it often receives it in IIF format. To import IIF file format to QuickBooks, you can do the following:
- Log in to the company file with admin rights.
- Go to the “File” option on the top.
- Click on the “Switch to Single-user Mode” option.
- Hit the “File” option again.
- Pick the “Utilities” option.
- Click on the “Import”.
- Select the “IIF Files”.
- Browse your IIF file and hit the “Open” button.
- Click on the “OK” button.
This way you can import your invoice to the QuickBooks account. If QuickBooks does not allow this format to be imported then you can use an online file converter.
By doing so, you can change the file format based on the supported format in QuickBooks. This will be earlier for you to upload the file in the relevant format.
4. Import Invoices into QuickBooks 2015 using Accountant Batch Entry feature
Another way to import invoices into QuickBooks 2015 is to use the Accountant Batch Entry feature. This will also allow importing invoices in bulk.
- Launch “QuickBooks Accountant’s company file”.
- Click on the “Accountant” menu.
- Select the “Batch Enter Transactions” option.
- Click on the “Transaction Type” option in the grid entry screen. You can choose the transaction to import from Credit Card Charges and Credits, Checks, Bill and Bill Credits, Deposits, and Invoices, and Credit Memos.
- Now, open the Excel sheet that contains the transaction you want to import.
- Then, select and copy the required rows.
Note: The Excel sheet should match the order you see in the QuickBooks register.
- In the first cell of the “Batch Entry Register”, paste the row you just copied.
- Now, QuickBooks starts checking the unmatched record and highlights it in red. In that case, you can select the “Split lines” option. Then, highlight the row in order to select the “Split Fill” option in split details.
- Once you enter the whole data, click the “Save Transactions” option.
This will import the whole data of translation in bulk through the Excel file. Later, you can check the summary that is displayed on your screen.
5. Batch Import Invoices QuickBooks Creating Spreadsheet
If you have more than one invoice that you prefer to import, QuickBooks allows you to upload multiple files at once. This requires you to create a Spreadsheet, enable the transaction numbers, and upload this spreadsheet. Here is a step by step guide:
Part 1: Create a SpreadSheet
- Arrange columns based on the information you want to add to your invoices such as Customer, Invoice number, Invoice date, Item amount, Due date, and Item tax code.
Part 2: Enable Custom Transaction Numbers
- Click on the “Settings”.
- Go to the “Account and Settings”.
- Click on the “Sales” option.
- Hit the “Edit” button in the “Sales form content” tab.
- Click on the “Custom transaction numbers”.
- Choose the “Save” button.
- Click the “Done” button.
Part 3: Upload the SpreadSheet
- Click on the “Settings” icon.
- Choose the “Import Data” option.
- Click on the “Invoices”.
- In the “Browse” section, add your new products, customer, and services if required.
- Now hit the “Browse” button and select the spreadsheet that you just created.
- Click on the “Next” button.
After that, you can map the fields. For instance, you need to ensure that the column in your Spreadsheet remains the same in the QuickBooks fields. So, here, you can adjust the date format, tax option, tax code, place of supplies, etc.
Once done, you can start importing your invoices to QuickBooks. This way, you can upload multiple invoices at once.
Important Details about Uploading Multiple Invoices
- Discounts, negative amounts, and credit notes cannot be added.
- Users can Import 100 invoices maximum at once and 1000 row limit.
- Import invoices with multiple or single line items.
- Users can import a large volume of products and services or customers and suppliers.
6. Import Invoices to QuickBooks Desktop using CSV Format
QuickBooks Desktop users can also import the invoices using the CSV file format. All you have to do is upload the CSV file. Here is how to do that.
- Click on the “Banking” tab.
- Go to the “Update” drop-down.
- Click on the “File upload” option.
- Select the “CSV” file.
- Hit the “Next” button.
- Choose the account where you want to import the invoice. You can do it using the “QuickBooks Account” drop-down.
- Now, map the fields based on the “CSV” file format.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Choose the transactions to import.
- Hit the “Yes” button.
- Click the “Finish” button when you receive the confirmation.
Once done, you will see the Downloaded Transactions window. Here, you can view all the imported transactions under the New Transactions tab.
It is pretty easy to import invoices in QuickBooks. Moreover, there are different techniques that one can select based on their convenience or preference. In this guide, we have discussed the best possible methods to import invoices in QuickBooks Desktop and Online.
Don’t miss out on these guides you may be interested in: