Nowadays, modern computers or laptops come up with graphics capability so that you can run dual displays on a single computer. If you are willing to learn how to connect two monitors to one computer (Windows 8, 7, or other versions) then stick to this guide till the end to connect two computers with USB.
This guide covers easy ways to connect two displays with the help of ports. Modern computers and laptops usually have a combination of DisplayPort, VGA, HDMI, and DVI ports. VGA and DVI are the common ports to use. However, you might need to buy HDMI if required. So if you want to learn how to connect two computers to one monitor without KVM then look for the ideas given in this guide.
How Do You Connect Two Monitors To One Computer?
To connect two computers with USB, you are required to find the video output port of your computer. Then, you can identify the video input port of your monitor. If it is required then you may buy cable and plug its one end into the computer and the other end into the monitor. After you turn on your computer, you can set the feature for enabling two monitors on one computer. It is easy to do that. If you are eager to know how to connect two computers to one monitor without KVM, you can go through the following steps and implement these ideas manually.
How to Connect Two HP Monitors to One Computer?
No matter if you use an HP laptop or a computer with another brand. All you have to make sure that your device has the support of using multiple displays. If you want to know how to connect two HP monitors to one computer then make sure that you are following these steps instructed below one by one.
Step 1: Meet the Requirements
To run two displays on one computer, you need to make sure that you meet the requirements. In other words, your computer or laptop should support Multiple Displays feature to run two monitors.
If you use a laptop that has one video output port then your laptop is eligible to connect two monitors. And, if your desktop computer has two video ports (to connect primary and second computer) then you can connect two monitors.
Note: No matter if both the ports do not match but the graphics cards should be the same because these two graphics cards are all you require to connect two monitors.
Step 2: Identify Video Output Port of Your Computer
To know how to connect two monitors to one computer (Windows 7, 8, or other versions), first you have to check the video output port of your computer. The video output port is available on the left side of your laptop whereas, for the desktop computer, it is available at the back where you find the primary monitor plugged. Below are the common output ports that you find on your laptop or computer.
- HDMI: It is a flat port that resembles six sides.
- USB-C: It is a rounded port in Oval shape which is very thin.
- DisplayPort: It is in a rectangular shape with a crimped side.
- VGA: It is the commonly used port before 2012 that resembles a trapezoid with pinholes.
To connect a new computer with an old computer, you may have to use a VGA port. Let us learn more about it in upcoming steps.
Step 3: Find the Video Input Port of Your Monitor
To connect two computers to one monitor without using a switch, you need to look for the input port of your monitor. In most modern monitors, there is either HDMI or DisplayPort. Some of the monitors might have VGA ports as well.
If you use an old device then you may see a DVI port on the back of the second computer. DVI port seems like a white box with a bunch of holes. Once you are done identifying the video input port of your monitor, you can switch to the next step.
Step 4: Get a Cable If Required
In case you do not have a cable such as an HDMI cable, you might need to buy or arrange it in order to connect two computers to one monitor without using a switch. Besides that, you can keep the following things in mind.
- If both monitor and computer have a common port such as HDMI then you can buy the cable that may fit both ports.
- In case the input port of your monitor does not match the output of your computer then you might need to get the adapter as well.
- Or, instead of buying an adapter, you may arrange the video output combinations that are as cables for example HDMI to DisplayPort.
Step 5: Plug the cable into the Computer
Now if you are thinking how do I connect two computers to one monitor then you need to plug the cable in your desktop computer. You should plug this cable into the video output port of your computer. Note that if you are using a desktop computer then the video output port should be the role of the same graphics card that the primary monitor uses.
Step 6: Plug the Cable into the Monitor
Once you are done plugging the cable into your computer, you can plug the other end of your cable into the monitor. This cable should fit the selected port of your monitor’s back. In case you are using the adapter then you will have to plug one end of your cable into your adapter and plug the cable of your monitor into both the adapter and monitor. This step is the beginning of how to connect two monitors to one computer.
Step 7: Power On and Click Start Button
Then, you can press the power button in order to turn your PC on. At this point, you may find the reflection of your computer on another monitor as well. After that, you can click on the Windows logo located on the bottom left to connect two computers with USB.
Step 8: Go to Settings
In the upcoming steps, you will learn how to connect two HP monitors to one computer.
- First of all, you can go click the Window logo on your Keyboard.
- Here you can click on the Settings icon located on the left.
- Now, you can click on the System located on the top left.
- At this point, you can click on Display which is located on the top left side.
- Here, you will find the Multiple Displays option with a dropdown.
- In the dropdown, you will find another option to display two monitors which are as follows.
- Duplicate these displays: Clicking on this option, you can copy everything (that is available on your primary display) to the second monitor.
- Extend these displays: With this option, you can create an extension on the second monitor. It provides more space.
- Show only on 1: This option helps to blackout the second monitor and display only the first monitor.
- Show only on 2: With this option, you can black out the first monitor and display only the second monitor.
You may also have more options depending on the computer you use. This is how you can know how to connect two desktop computers to one monitor with these easy steps.
If somebody asks you “can you connect two monitors to one computer”, you can show them this guide as it helps to connect two monitors in easy ways. All it requires is to identify the video output port of your computer and find the video input port of your monitor. If it is required then you can get the cable and then plug the one end into the computer and the other end into the monitor. Once you turn on the PC, you can access the settings and enable the Multiple Displays feature on your computer or laptop. So if you want to learn how to connect two monitors to one computer, the aforementioned steps are all you need to follow.
Besides that, we have covered a curated guide on how to clear cookies on Computer. Also, if you wish to disable the Windows defender, learn here how to turn off Windows Defender.