Line spacing makes the document easy to read and understand the indented paragraphs. Go through this curated guide on how to do double spacing in Word. This guide will enlighten you about useful methods that you can apply to crack the how to set double spacing in Word mystery at the snap of the fingers.
Most of the users use the latest version of Microsoft Word such as 2016 or Office 365. But there are a few users who use older versions of MS Word. Hence, in this guide, we are going to cover how to set double spacing in Word 2016, Office 365, 2013, 2010, 2007, and 2003.
Whether you own a Mac computer or Windows 10, you can apply these methods in your MS Word document based on your version. Let us get into more detail.
Method 1: How to Add Double Spacing in Word 2016, Office 365, 2013?
If you are using MS Word 2013, 2016, or Office 365, then this method is for you. To know how to add double spacing in Word, you can go through the following steps mentioned below:
- First of all, make sure that your Word document is opened.
- Now, you can click on the Design tab located on the top.
- Here, you need to click on the Paragraph Spacing. Once you do so, the options will be expanded.
- At this point, you need to click on the Double option. Then, you can keep on writing your document in the specified line space.
- If you only want to add double space to a particular text then you can highlight that particular text and click on the Line and Paragraph Spacing located on the Home tab which appears like Four horizontal lines along with Two blue arrows.
- At this stage, you can select the appropriate space such as 2.0 and this will add double spacing in Word 2016.
In case you find space more than you expected and want to know how to remove double spacing in Word then you can follow the same steps mentioned above. All you need to do is select the text or the entire document by using Ctrl + A, go to Home and choose Line and Paragraph Spacing and select the default spacing which is 1.15. This way you will get an answer to your ‘how to remove double spacing in Word’ question.
Method 2: How to Get Double Spacing on Word 2007 or 2010?
If you are currently using Word version 2010 or 2007 then you can go through this method. Here, we will cover how you can use the line space and customize it using the Home section and Page Layout menu. Furthermore, you will learn to change paragraph spacing and understand the line spacing features in Word.
So if you wish to learn how to get double spacing on Word then here are the following steps that you need to perform.
- Before you write in Word, make sure that you set the line space. To do so, you can click on the Home option or the Page Layout tab.
- Now, under the home tab, you can search for the Paragraph section.
- Here, you can click on the Line Spacing option (Four horizontal lines along with Two blue arrows) in order to bring up the Line Spacing dropdown list.
- At this point, you can choose the line spacing option.
Note: In case you do not see the line spacing option, it is because your window is not large. To make it work, you can click on the arrow located next to the Paragraph. This will show you the Paragraph menu. Then, you can select the line spacing from the dropdown menu.
- If required, you can change the Page Layout menu. For this, you can click on the arrow located next to Paragraph as this will open the menu.
- Here, you can customize the line spacing with the help of the dropdown from the Spacing area.
- If you wish to change the paragraph spacing, you can do that too. To change the paragraph spacing, you can go to the Page Layout tab.
- Then, you can search for the Spacing option under the Paragraph section.
- The ‘Before’ spacing will add more space when the paragraph starts whereas the ‘After’ spacing will let you add space when you hit the Enter button to begin a new paragraph.
- As mentioned earlier, the default line spacing is 1.15 in Word. Yet you want to have more space between lines then you can select the Single option under the Line Spacing dropdown list.
- Here, ‘Exactly’ will let you set the exact spacing between each line which is measured in points whereas ‘Multiple’ will let you set the larger space or triple space between lines.
- If you want MS Word to automatically add the space you have set then you can change the preferred settings as default. To do so, go to the Paragraph menu and click on the Default option.
- This will prompt you if you want these changes as the default settings. Then, you can write in the chosen line spacing without going to the setting repeatedly.
- In case you wish to add line spacing for the particular text then you can select the text to apply actions. For the whole document, you can also use Ctrl + A keys on Windows or Command + A on the Mac computer.
- Then, you can adjust the line spacing for your document.
On a Word document double spacing procedure can be applied using keyboard shortcuts as this will help you to quickly add double spacing between lines.
- For Word document double spacing, use Ctrl+2 on Windows and use Command + 2 on Mac.
- For 1.5 line spacing, use Ctrl + 5 on Windows and use Command + 5 on Mac.
- For single spacing, use Ctrl + 1 on Windows and use Command + 1 on Mac.
Method 3: How to Set Up Double Spacing in Word 2003?
Although it is rare to find people who use Word 2003 there is anyone who exists with Word 2003, here you can learn how to set up double spacing in Word.
- First of all, ensure that you have opened your Word document.
- Then, you can go to the Format located on the top menu bar.
- In the Format tab, you can select the Paragraph option.
- At this point, you need to click on the Line Spacing drop-down menu.
- After that, you can pick the spacing as per your requirements.
- As the last step, you can click on the OK button.
After applying relevant line spacing settings in your document if a question occurred that ‘how to get rid of double spacing in Word’ then you can simply reverse these steps. To remove the line spacing, go to the Line spacing menu and set the space 1.15 as the default line spacing in Word.
Method 4: How to Use Double Spacing in Word in Existing Documents?
In this method, you will learn how to use double spacing in Word in an existing document. If you already have a document in which you want to add space between lines or paragraphs then you can go through the following steps mentioned below. These steps can be performed in Word 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007.
- Open your Word document in which you want to add line spacing.
- Next to this, you can select the specific text. If you want to select the whole document then you can use Ctrl + A or Command + A in order to highlight the text.
- Now, you need to click right on your text and click on the Format option.
- Then, you can go to Paragraph or only Paragraph (depending on the edition of your Word).
- When you see the Paragraph Window, you will see the Indents and Spacing and Line and Page Breaks tab. Make sure that you stay on the Indents and Spacing tab.
- After that, you can click on the down arrow under the Line Spacing option.
- At this point, you can choose the Double option and hit the OK button to apply your actions. This is how you can do double spacing in MS Word.
Adding single or double spacing in Word is easy. All need to navigate to the tools and features provided by MS Word. Then, you can add space from 1.15 to more. This guide also has covered different versions of Word such as 2016, Office 365, 2013, 2010, 2007, and 2003. So, if you are struck by this question of how to do double spacing in Word, this guide will help you with useful solutions.
In addition, you want to learn how to remove hyperlink in Word, we have covered an article with useful tricks. Besides that, go through this guide on how to remove watermark in Word with simple steps.