Many of you spend a lot of time working on your Windows 10 computer or laptop. While Windows 10 systems work efficiently with great speed, you may observe a difference in the speed at times. Windows 10 running slow is a fairly common issue. This issue can be cleared with really simple fixes.
Read the complete post to find simple ways to fix the slow performance of your Windows 10 computer or laptop.
Why is My Computer Running Slow on Windows 10?
Your Windows 10 computer or laptop may be running slow due to one of the following reasons:
1. Running too many programs on your Windows 10 laptop or computer at the same time can affect its speed.
2. There are certain programs that get started when you turn on your system. These programs can reduce the speed of your Windows 10 computer.
3. Always check that all your apps and OS are updated. If not, then these will not work smoothly, thus, lowering your Windows 10 PC’s speed.
4. The next cause of Windows 10 running slow is keeping unused files and programs on your laptop.
5. In some cases, a particular app was found responsible for affecting the performance of the computer.
6. The most common cause of a slow running Windows 10 computer is a malicious software capable of harming its functioning as well as speed.
How to Fix Windows 10 Running Slow?
You are about to find a big number of fixes in the sections coming up. We will tell you how to speed up your slow running Windows 10 system by clearing the system tray programs, updating OS, system drivers and apps, adjusting the power plans, etc. Let’s start reading now.
Fix 1: Close All System Tray Programs on Windows 10 System
Computers with Windows 10 running slow can be fixed simply by closing all the system tray programs. Are you puzzled by how this fix works? It will help you to know that when a lot of programs start with Windows, they keep running as long as you are using your computer. Therefore, closing the system tray programs will add more speed to your Windows 10 computer. To close these programs, you can follow the 3 steps given below.
1. On the taskbar, tap the “Upwards arrow” on the right.
2. You will be able to see the programs that are running. Right-click on the program that you do not require. Then close the program.
3. Now, try using your computer. You will notice a difference in its speed.
Fix 2: Close Programs Automatically Running on Startup on Windows 10 System
Here is another effective method for a computer running slow Windows 10. There are certain programs that automatically turn on when you start your Windows 10 computer or laptop. Running the programs that are not necessary should be turned off so as not to affect the speed of your Windows 10 system. Find out how to close the programs automatically running on your system in 4 steps.
1. The initial step is to right-click on your system’s taskbar.
2. Then click on the “Task manager”. As an alternative, you can press the “Ctrl”, “Shift”, and “Escape” key together to get quick access to the “Task manager”.
3. Now, go to the “Startup” tab. Here, you can see the items running along with their “Startup impact”.
4. For disabling the item that you do not require, right-click on it. Then press “Disable”.
Fix 3: Update Apps, System Drivers, and OS on Windows 10 System
The problem of Windows 10 running very slow can be a result of apps, drivers, or OS not being up to date. Therefore, we will advise you to install all the updates available for the OS, apps, and drivers of your Windows 10 laptop or computer. The manual procedure for installing the updates for these has been provided here.
1. On your Windows 10 system, click on “Start”.
2. Then go to “Settings” or tap the “Settings icon”.
3. Click on “Updates & security”.
4. Next, click on “Windows updates”. Check for the updates that are available and then install them.
5. Once the system apps, drivers, and OS have been updated, try using your system as usual. It will work with all the speed.
Note for You: Your Windows 10 computer or laptop will automatically notify you about the updates for OS, drivers, and apps as and when they are available. In case you have turned off the notifications, then the procedure mentioned above will be helpful.
Fix 4: Delete Files You don’t Use on Windows 10 System
Laptop running slow Windows 10 is an issue that arises when you do not remove the unnecessary files from your laptop. The same holds true for your Windows 10 computer as well. Unnecessary files like those acquiring big space, images with high resolution, and bulky videos can considerably reduce the speed of your machine.
To ensure that your Windows 10 system has enough space to perform well, these 3 tips will come in handy.
1. Go to the location of the file that you no longer need. Then delete that file.
2. Keep a habit of deleting the unnecessary files on a regular basis.
3. Also, make sure that the files are deleted from the recycle bin.
Fix 5: Find the Program Responsible for Your Windows 10 PC Running Slow
Many users of Windows 10 have reported that a certain program was affecting the performance of their system. Stopping that program worked as a wonderful fix for your PC running slow Windows 10. It is possible that a particular program could be affecting the performance of your system as well. Below, have shared a procedure to identify that program and then stop. Let’s read its steps.
1. Right-click on the taskbar on your computer or laptop.
2. Tap “Task manager”.
3. Tap “More details”. Here, you can find information about the programs running on your system.
4. Tap all the “Headers” for sorting the list.
5. Identify the application that is affecting the performance of your Windows 10 system. Then close the application.
6. In case the application does not close, return to the “Task manager” screen. Right-click on that application. Then press “End task”. At the end of this procedure, your Windows 10 system will perform fast.
Fix 6: Check Power Plans on Your Windows 10 System
Some users wonder “Why my pc is running very slow Windows 10”. Are you thinking the same? The power options of your Windows 10 computer could be causing the problem. A Windows system is provided with different power plan options. These plans have an effect on the system’s performance in different ways.
The default power plan option is “Balanced”. The “Power saver” option uses less energy by making your computer perform slower than usual. The “High performance” option makes your computer perform faster, however, it uses more energy too. For a slow running Windows 10 PC, you can use these steps to change the plan settings.
1. Open the “Control panel” on your PC.
2. Tap “Hardware and sound”.
3. Click on “Power options”.
4. Click on “Choose or customize a power plan”.
5. Tap “Change plan settings” and make the changes.
6. Additionally, you can tap “Change advanced power settings” for making more changes.
Fix 7: Delete Programs You No Longer Use on Windows 10 System
Is your computer with Windows 10 running really slow? You should try deleting the programs that you no longer use. And when you keep installing the new programs without deleting the old ones, your computer or laptop can become slow. Deleting the programs you don’t need is indeed simple. See the 5 steps provided here.
1. On your Windows 10 system, open the “Control panel”.
2. Go to “Programs”.
3. Click on “Programs and features”.
4. Take a look at the programs you no longer use.
5. Uninstall the unwanted programs.
Fix 8: Switch Windows Features On/Off on Your Computer
A computer running slow all of a sudden Windows 10 can be caused due to certain features of the system. Turning these Windows feature off or on can resolve the problem. In case you are not sure how to turn off/on the Windows features, our set of steps will aid you.
1. Open the “Control panel” on your computer or laptop.
2. Click on the “Programs”.
3. Head on to “Programs and features”.
4. Tap “Turn Windows Features on or off”.
Note for You: Even though this fix works great, please be cautious while turning off/on the Windows features. Your work may be affected in case you switch off/on a Windows feature you require.
Fix 9: Perform Disk Cleanup for Windows 10 Computer Running Very Slow
Many-a-times, users have shared the problem of the laptop running slow after Windows 10 update. Running disk cleanup can wipe off the problem for you. Your Windows computer has an in-built tool to serve this purpose. Let us see how to use the in-built disk cleanup tool.
1. Start your Windows 10 system.
2. Press “Start” and click on the “Control panel”.
3. Click on the option of “System and security”.
4. Now, head on to select “Administrative tools”.
5. The next step is to click on “Disk cleanup”.
6. Choose the files you would like to remove. Then press “Ok”.
7. Once the disk cleanup process is over, you will notice a boost in your Windows 10 system’s performance.
Fix 10: Defragment Windows 10 Computer’s Hard Drive
In this section, you can find a detailed solution for Windows 10 running slow after update. This solution involves the defragmenting of your computer’s hard drive. After performing the procedure shown below, your Windows 10 computer will perform more efficiently than ever.
1. Open “My computer” on your Windows 10 system.
2. Right-click on your hard drive. The default name of the hard drive is “Windows (C:)”.
3. Click on the “Properties”.
4. In the “Optimize and defragment drive”, select “Tools”.
5. Now, tap “Optimize”.
6. In the “Optimize drive screen” window, choose a “Hard disk drive” and press “Analyze”.
7. Ensure that the chosen “Hard disk drive” has been fragmented less than 5%. In case it is more than that, press “Optimize” to reduce the percentage.
Note for You: The procedure for defragmenting will work only if you have the traditional mechanical HDD or Hard Disk Drive. In case your system has the SSD or Solid State Drive, defragmenting it will not be required.
Fix 11: Adjust Graphics & Animations for Windows 10 Laptop Running Really Slow
When old games run slow on Windows 10 computers, we suggest adjusting or disabling the graphics and animation. Doing so will help your computer to give its best performance when you play games on it. This fix can be performed in 7 simple steps.
1. Type “Control panel” in the search box of your Windows 10 computer.
2. Open the “Control panel” and choose “System and security”.
3. Then click on “System”.
4. Now, go to the “Advanced system settings”.
5. Click on “Settings” in the “Performance” section.
6. Tap “Adjust for best performance”. You can also remove any effect.
7. After adjusting the graphics and animations, play an old game on your computer. It will run smoothly.
Fix 12: Ensure Malware Against Your Windows 10 Computer
Are you facing the issue of Chrome running slow on Windows 10 computer or laptop? A malicious software may be causing damage to it. The best suggestion will be to install a reliable antivirus software. The antivirus software will notify you of the threats and prevent Chrome in your computer from getting damaged.
Fix 13: Disable Cortana for PC Running Very Slow Windows 10
“My computer runs slow on Windows 10 due to Cortana” is a problem our readers have shared with us. In case this virtual assistance is affecting the performance of your computer as well, you should try disabling it. Check out how to disable Cortana on Windows 10 in 8 steps.
1. Click on “Start”, type “Edit group policy” and open it from the results.
2. Then click on “Computer configuration”.
3. To continue, click on “Administrative templates”.
4. Tap “Windows components”.
5. The next step is to click on “Search”.
6. Click twice on “Allow Cortana” for opening it.
7. Then press “Disabled”.
8. The last step is to press “Ok”.
Fix 14: Try Upgrading Hardware of Your Windows 10 System
For a PC running slow after Windows 10 update, upgrading the hardware can be a way out of the problem. You can choose an SSD or Solid State Drive. The addition of the SSD will make your Windows 10 PC really fast. Along with that, you can also opt for increasing the RAM. This will improve the efficiency of your Windows 10 system.
Fix 15: Try Changing Pagefile Size on Your Windows 10 Computer
The issue of Windows 10 suddenly running slow can be easily cleared by changing the pagefile size. Pagefile can be understood as a virtual memory file. Changing its size is not a complicated procedure. It can be done in just 10 steps.
1. In the search box of your computer, type in “Performance”.
2. Tap “Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows”.
3. Open the “Advanced” tab.
4. Tap the “Change” button.
5. Ensure that the box for “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives” has not been checked.
6. Highlight the drive in which the Windows 10 has been installed.
7. Now, choose “Custom size”. The maximum and initial size should be set to the recommended sizes.
8. Then press “Set”.
9. Now, press “Ok”.
10. Lastly, restart your Windows 10 computer.
Fix 16: Remove Bloatware from Your Windows 10 System
For programs like excel running slow on Windows 10, removing the bloatware has shown to work very well for the users. Let us try this fix on your Windows 10 system too. The 9 steps for this fix are as follows.
1. Click on “Start”.
2. Type in “Windows security” in the search box.
3. Open “Windows security” from the results and then open the “Device performance & health page”.
4. Tap the “Additional info link” given below “Fresh start”.
5. Now, tap “Get started”.
6. If the “UAC prompt” appears, click on “Accept”.
7. In the “Fresh start UI pop-up”, tap “Next”.
8. Check the bloatware list appearing on your screen and press “Next”.
9. The final step is to press “Start”. Now, Windows 10 will be reinstalled. Then you can use your computer as usual.
How to Fix HP Laptop Running Slow Windows 10?
The Windows 10 HP laptop running slow is not a new problem. At times, suspicious malware can enter the HP laptop and create problems. The malware is also capable of reducing the device’s speed. We have discussed a promising solution for this problem. Find more details about it below.
Fix 1: Check for Malware on HP Laptop Windows 10
HP laptop running slow and freezing Windows 10 can be due to several reasons like the presence of malware, software issues, or hardware problems. Whatever be the cause, installing a good antivirus software can troubleshoot the problem within minutes. Interestingly, having the antivirus software in your Windows 10 laptop will ensure that the same problem does not occur again.
How to Fix Asus Laptop Windows 10 Running Slow?
In the sections you are about to read now, we have shared 2 mind-blowing fixes for your Asus laptop Windows 10 running slow. In the first fix, we have shared the procedure for optimizing the startup. And in the second fix, we have shared how cleaning the device’s fan can have a positive impact on its speed.
Fix 1: Optimize Startup on Asus Laptop Windows 10
When your Asus laptop Windows 10 is running too slow, this fix will come in handy. In this fix, we will tell you how to optimize the startup on your Asus laptop. It will help you know what programs get automatically started when you turn on your laptop. This fix has been described in 4 short steps below.
1. When your Asus laptop is on, right-click on the “Taskbar”.
2. Click on the “Task manager”.
3. Then click on “Startup”.
4. See if “Enabled” has been mentioned for a program. If yes, then that program will start as and when you turn on your Asus laptop. You can disable or delete the program as per your reference.
Fix 2: Try Cleaning the Fan of Your Asus Laptop Windows 10
In the second Asus laptop Windows 10 running very slow fix, we will advise you to clean the dirty fan of the device. Sometimes when you use your Asus laptop for too long, its fan can heat up, freeze, or even become stuffed with dirt. Cleaning the fan of your Asus laptop Windows 10 will help in easing out the heat. As a result, your device will stay cool and its performance will remain unaffected.
Note for You: You can utilize a screwdriver for opening up your Asus laptop and then accessing its fan. Make sure to be gentle in the entire process. Once the cleaning has been done, close your laptop properly with the screwdriver. Then it is all set for use.
Now that this blog has come to an end, we believe our fixes worked well in improving the speed of your slow running Windows 10 computer or laptop. If you loved reading this blog, then do remember to share it with your friends!
We are soon coming up with more informative blogs and guides. Meanwhile, here are our latest posts you can read. Take a look at our successful fixes to remove the Windows activation error 0x80070490 and the best guide to mount ISO Windows 10.