Dell is a company that is synonymous with quality electronic products. They offer a variety of products that are quite popular with consumers. However, some Dell computer and laptop users have frequently reported that the Dell error code 0146 has been hampering their experience. In this guide, we are going to explain what exactly is the dell error code 0146 and how to fix it once and for all.
To answer your question of how do I fix error code 0146 on my Dell computer, first, we have to take a look at what exactly is this error and what it does to your computer.
What exactly is Dell error code 0146?
This error usually occurs when your system is unable to read your hard drive. It can lead to other problems as well like windows freezing or crashing and inability to open or use different software. If you fail to diagnose and rectify this error at an early stage then it may lead to permanent damage to your hard drive as well as to the computer system. You may also lose your saved data permanently.
5 Solutions To Fix Dell Error Code 0146
We have mentioned below, all the solutions that will help you solve the Dell error code 0146.
Kill the viruses in your system with an ideal antivirus software
This might seem like a no brainer but the best way to protect your hard drive and data is to use a good antivirus or anti-malware software. These applications prevent viruses from entering your system and also protect your data from hackers that might try to break into your system. You just have to run a full computer scan through the software and it will help you remove any viruses that might cause the Dell error code 0146.
Boot Up your computer in safe mode and eliminate boot files
Booting up your system in safe mode and cleaning boot files might help you resolve the Dell error code 0146. Kindly make sure that you do not have any external accessories attached to your computers such as a webcam or printer to ensure a clean boot. To complete the process just follow these simple steps:
- Turn off your system
- Turn it on again and continue to tap the f8 key to go to the boot screen
- Choose the safe mode with networking option and select enter
- Press windows plus r key, enter MSConfig, and select the ‘ok’ option
- The system configuration window should open up now
- Click the General tab and select the Selective Startup option
- Make sure to uncheck the ‘load start-up’ option
- Now select the services tab and checkmark the ‘hide all Microsoft devices option b ’
- Now select the disable all device and reboot your system
- If you have followed all the steps correctly then you would have solved the Dell error code 0146 issue.
Run the SFC scan
The SFC scan is also a great tool that will help you fix the error code 0146. It replaces all the corrupt and missing files and ensures that your computer runs properly. To run the scan, just follow these simple steps.
- Click on the start button
- Go to the Run menu
- Key in ‘cmd’ and press the ctr+shift +enter button
- Key in SFC or scanner to begin the scan
- After the scan is complete, reboot your system
Tweak the BIOS settings
Making changes to your BIOS setup might also help you resolve Dell error code 0146. To change your BIOS settings just follow these simple steps:
- Reboot your PC
- Repeatedly press the F2 button to go to the BIOS menu
- Look for the ‘reset to default’ option and select it
- Exit the BIOS menu and save the changes
- Your system should work fine now
Run the disk cleanup tool
Sometimes you just need to clean up your disk to make sure that your computer is running properly. Just follow these simple steps:
- Search for the disk cleanup from the start menu
- Choose the drive that you want to clean
- Checkmark the temporary files and click on ok
- Now select the ‘delete files options’ from the pop-up.
We are confident that after going through our article you will face no trouble in resolving the Dell error code 0146. If you are facing other issues like ‘Dell computer won’t turn on’ or if you want to resolve error codes such as ‘Dell error code 2000 0142’ then please feel free to reach out to us. Thank you and best of luck!