Despite the powerful features of QuickBooks, the accounting software may have technical errors. QuickBooks error the file exists is one of the issue users encounter. The error may occur when you are working on different accounting features. Besides that, downloading payroll updates, opening a federal or state form, and paying scheduled liabilities in QuickBooks can also cause such issues.
In QuickBooks, if the Windows error was the file exists then you can resolve this by performing the right method. Let us diagnose the cause of this error and the repairing
- What are the Causes of QuickBooks Error The File Exists
- Fix the QuickBooks Error The File Exists on Windows
- Fix 1: Disable UAC in Windows Settings
- Fix 2: Look for the Updates in QuickBooks Desktop
- Fix 3: Register QuickBooks.DLL and OCX file again with reboot.bat file
- Fix 4: Allowance of Full Control Access to the User
- Fix 6: Adjust Firewall Settings
- Fix 7: Reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Tool
- Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Causes of QuickBooks Error The File Exists
Generally, QuickBooks displays the error on the screen stating that the Windows error was The File Exists. It happens when the file cannot be opened. However, you can fix it. But before you reach its solution, go through the reasons that may cause the error in QuickBooks.
- When your Internet connection is not active on the system.
- The system firewall is improper or outdated.
- When the Internet security setting is incorrect.
- The QuickBooks Desktop application file is outdated.
- Windows User Account Control interrupts the QuickBooks software.
- The user does not have admin rights.
- QuickBooks installation is improper and, as a result, it is causing this error.
Now that you are aware of the causes of QuickBooks new company from existing company file error soyou can execute the fixation methods accordingly.
Fix the QuickBooks Error The File Exists on Windows
To get rid of the file that exists error in QuickBooks, you can disable the UAC, update the QuickBooks program, register QuickBooks.DLL and OCX file, give full access to the user, adjust firewall settings, reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Too, and fix printing issues.
If you have no clue how to perform these methods, we will help you with that. Here, we are listing the following solutions and implement these steps to get rid of unwanted errors in QuickBooks accounting software. Let’s get started!
Fix 1: Disable UAC in Windows Settings
The first thing you will have to make sure of that you check the UAC option. If UAC is enabled then you need to disable it. This can be checked through your Windows Settings.
Here are the steps to disable the UAC.
- Firstly, go to Windows Settings.
- Here, you can search for the UAC option.
- If you find the UAC is enabled already then you can turn it off.
- When you are done disabling the UAC, you can reboot the system and check if the error still occurs.
When you are done disabling the UAC, don’t forget to reboot the system. Once your system is restarted, you can verify if the error still occurs.
Fix 2: Look for the Updates in QuickBooks Desktop
Sometimes, running the old version of QuickBooks may create conflicts or not support all the features. Facing the QuickBooks new company from existing company file error can be caused by an outdated version of QuickBooks.
Here, we will first check the new updates. If it is available, you need to download it to support all the files and features.
- To check for QuickBooks Desktop updates, you can launch the QB Desktop.
- Then, you can go to the Product Information located below the Help tab.
- From the dropdown menu, you can select the option correct year and version of the QuickBooks software.
- Now you can go to search and proceed by clicking on the option Get the Latest Updates.
- Once the relevant files have been located, you can save the data on your computer desktop.
- When the downloading process is done, you can proceed with the installation. Also, make sure that you are following the instructions properly that appear on your screen.
- In the end, you can reboot your system after all the updates are completely installed.
This is how you can download and install the new updates of the QuickBooks program. Once your program is updated, you can check if you still find the Windows error was the file exists in QuickBooks.
Fix 3: Register QuickBooks.DLL and OCX file again with reboot.bat file
QuickBooks DLL and OCX files are necessary to run certain programs in QuickBooks. It is necessary that you verify if these files are registered. If not then register both the files immediately. Hence, in this fix, we will show you how to register DLL and OCX files with the reboot.bat file.
Follow these steps to understand better.
- To re-register for QuickBooks.DLL and .OCX file, you need to exit the QB Desktop application first.
- Next to this, you can click right on the QB icon on your desktop so that you can select Properties.
- Now, you can go to the Open File Location and search for the folder where reboot.bat file is stored.
- When you find the folder in which the reboot.bat file is present, you can run the file as an administrator.
- At this point, you will have to wait for a short while until the command prompt and then you can close it for once.
Once you are done following these steps, reboot your system and check if the QuickBooks error the file exists is fixed or not.
Fix 4: Allowance of Full Control Access to the User
If you have not given full access to the user, they may not be able to open the file. Hence, it is important that you give full control access to the user. All you have to go to the Properties, click Edit, and set permission to Everyone.
You can follow these steps:
- First thing, you can do is to right-click on the QB Desktop icon and choose the option; Open File Location.
- After that, you can go back by pressing the Backspace key on your keyboard.
- Now you can click right on the QuickBooks folder and select the properties.
- After that, you can hit the Edit button to select the Add option.
- At this point, select Everyone and then click the OK button.
- Now you need to select the Full Control option and click on Apply.
- After giving the full control access to the user, it is necessary to reboot your system. And then you can check if the error is still there or not.
After giving full control access to the user, it is necessary to reboot your system. And then you can check if the file exists error in QuickBooks is still there or not.
Fix 6: Adjust Firewall Settings
Windows Defender Firewall may block certain apps and programs on your computer. Due to this, you may not be able to access the company files. Hence, in this fix, we will show you how to allow the QuickBooks app through the Windows Defender:
- First of all, make sure you are on your local desktop. Then, you can press the Windows + R keys. After this, type control and go with the Enter button.
- Next to this, you can choose the Devices and Printers option.
- Now, on the device, click right and select Remove option on the printer you are facing issues with.
- Now you can exit the QB Desktop and launch the task manager. For that, you can either go to the taskbar or use the CTRL + ALT + DEL key.
- Then, you can locate the QBW32.exe below the process tab and click right on it.
- Thereafter, end the whole process and click Yes after you see the confirmation prompt on your screen.
- Thereafter, you can navigate to Drive C then Program Data to go to Intuit. Then, you can visit the QuickBooks option.
- At this point, you can search and delete the file with the name QBPRINT.qbp.
- When you are done following these steps, you can reboot the system and try to print again.
After you follow the aforementioned methods, if nothing fixes the QuickBooks error the file exists, you can then try to reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop.
Fix 7: Reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Tool
In case you are unable to open the file or encountering issues related to the QuickBooks program then you can try reinstalling the program. For this process, we will use the Clean Install Tool.
Important Note: Before getting started with the QuickBooks reinstallation process, make sure that you take a backup of the QuickBooks company files as it may delete the data from your computer.
- Once the backup is taken safely, you can download and install the “QuickBooks Clean Install Tool” on your system.
- Then, go to the “Downloads” folder where the tool download file is stored.
- Search for the “QucikBooksCleanInstallUtility.exe” file.
- Then, click the “I Accept” button.
- Choose the QuickBooks version.
- Click on the “Continue” button.
- Hit the “OK” button.
Thereafter, you can follow the on-screen instructions. This way you can reinstall QuickBooks with the Clean Install Tool. By following this process, you can easily fix the error.
Frequently Asked Questions
When you download payroll updates, open a federal or state form, and pay scheduled liabilities in QuickBooks, you may show up the file exists error.
The file you specified is unable to open. This happens when the file is being used by another program. There can be other issues related to your program due to which you see The Windows error was ‘The file exists’.
To fix this error, you can try to disable the User Account Control, update the QuickBooks program, register QuickBooks.DLL and OCX file, give full access to the user, and fix printing issues.
The troubleshooting methods should resolve the QuickBooks error the file exists. Now whenever you find QuickBooks warning the file exists, you can fix it by following the fixation methods such as disable the UAC, update the QuickBooks program, register QuickBooks.DLL and OCX file, give full access to the user, adjust firewall settings, reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Too, and fix printing issues.
These methods help you to troubleshoot the program and make the QuickBooks software work again in an appropriate manner.
If you are bothered by other errors in QuickBooks then you can go through the following guides to find the best solution.