The error 6123 0 is among the common issues faced by QB users. There can be several reasons for the error code to persist on your device. The reasons can be due to problems in the QuickBooks software and its company files. Or the error may come up because of a problematic device. In QuickBooks year versions 2018 and 2017 also, there can be some chances of seeing the error.
For troubleshooting the QuickBooks error 6123 0, you should prefer gaining complete knowledge of its causes. The causes or reasons that can result in it have been shown in this blog. On reading further, you can find the use of tools like Quick Fix My Program and QuickBooks File Doctor Tool for fixing the error code.
Below is a blueprint of this reading. It will inform you in brief about the contents of this blog.
- Causes of QuickBooks Error 6123 0
- How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6123 0?
- Condition 1: Updating the QuickBooks Company File
- Method 1: Remove Special Characters from QBO File Name
- Method 2: Download QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Method 3: Repair Company Files
- Method 4: Rename QuickBooks Files
- Method 5: Create a New Windows User Account
- Method 6: Quick Fix My Program
- Method 7: Restart Windows System in Safe Mode
- Method 8: Disable Antivirus Programs
- Method 9: Reinstall QuickBooks
- Method 10: Restore Company File
- Method 11: Move Your Company File to Another Location
- Condition 2: Restoring the Backup on a New Device
- Condition 3: Configuring the Multi-User Setup
Causes of QuickBooks Error 6123 0
The error 6123 0 in QuickBooks 2018, 2017, or other versions may be encountered due to the following:
- The company files of the software may be damaged.
- You may have restored your company files using an external storage device.
- There may be interruptions in the network connection from your host server.
- Your Windows system may have become corrupted.
- The firewall settings may have been misconfigured.
- There may be damaged data files in QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks company file’s name may be inclusive of special or extra characters.
- Files like “.TLG”, “.ND”, “.DSU” may be causing problems.
- The antivirus programs installed on your PC can also cause such an error.
- Your Windows user account may be problematic. Signing in from this account may be affecting QB.
- QuickBooks may not have been correctly updated. The error may be coming after the update.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6123 0?
The QuickBooks error 6123 0 can be troubleshot by ensuring that your company file’s name is not carrying any special or additional characters. The QuickBooks Tool Hub and its tools like Quick Fix My Program can be of use for repairing the error. You can also make a new user account on your Windows PC. By signing in to your computer using this account, you may not find the 6123 0 error in QuickBooks.
Condition 1: Updating the QuickBooks Company File
The first condition to view error 6123 in QuickBooks is when you open or update the company files. If this scenario occurs to you then you can perform a number of methods to solve this error.
For instance, you can use QuickBooks Tools Hub, remove special characters from the file name, repair company files, rename TLG/ND files, create a new user account for Windows, use the Quick Fix my Program tool, and more.
Method 1: Remove Special Characters from QBO File Name
QuickBooks allows you to keep 30 characters maximum in a QBO file name. Exceeding the limit of characters can cause problems while updating the company files. Hence, it is important to correct the format of the QBO file. For that do the following:
- Click right on the “QuickBooks Company File”.
- Then, click on the “Edit” button using the drop-down.
- Now, open the file in a preferred text editor.
- Select the “Find” option in a text editor.
- Highlight the unwanted characters such as “&” text remove it.
- Then, click on the “File” menu.
- Click the “Save” button.
After following these steps, you can close the edited file. Later, you can try updating the company file and verify if you see the error 6123 in QuickBooks.
Method 2: Download QuickBooks Tools Hub
To fix QuickBooks error 6123 0, it is suggested to download and install the QuickBooks Desktop Tool Hub on your Windows or Mac computer. Let’s know how you should install the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop if it is opened.
- Download the “QuickBooks Tool Hub File” on your computer.
- Store the “QuickBooks tool hub .exe file” in a specific location so that you can find it easily.
- Then, open the “QuickBooksToolHub.exe” file.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to agree to the conditions.
Once you download and install it successfully, you can launch it to perform. To do so, you just have to double-click the software icon. You can also use the Windows search bar to find the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Then, you can run the tool to troubleshoot errors in QuickBooks.
Method 3: Repair Company Files
Sometimes your QuickBooks company files get damaged due to which you cannot access or update the file. In such a scenario, you can repair the company file using the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
Note: You can download QuickBooks File Doctor Tool separately. However, if you have QuickBooks Tool Hub installed on your computer, you can use that too.
- Launch “QuickBooks Tools Hub”.
- Go to the “Company File Issues” section.
- Click on the “Run QuickBooks File Doctor” button.
- Then, hit the “Browse” button.
- Now, select the company file that you want to repair.
- Here, make sure that the “Check your file” button is selected.
- Then, hit the “Continue” button.
- After that, log in to the company file with admin rights.
- Hit the “Continue” button.
This way you can easily repair the QuickBooks company files. Once done with the procedure, try to access the company file. If you still are confronting issues with it then move to the next fixation method.
Method 4: Rename QuickBooks Files
By renaming the QuickBooks files such as ND, DSU, and TLG, you can easily fix error 6123 in QuickBooks. But before performing this method, make sure you close the QuickBooks desktop on all the devices.
- Open the QuickBooks company file on the server.
- Now, open the file with the extensions including the “TLG” or “ND” file.
- Then, click right on the “TLG” or “ND” file.
- Select the “Rename” option.
- Make sure you add “Old” at the end of the file name.
- Then, close the folder.
Doing so, the files such as ND” and TLG files will be created automatically when you access the company files. This way you can get rid of the error 6123 in QuickBooks 2017 error and access the company files.
Tip: Users should open the folder that contains QuickBooks company files and give full access including the QuickBooks Database Server Manager user.
Method 5: Create a New Windows User Account
Besides QuickBooks, Windows user accounts can also cause troubles. Especially if you have no admin rights. Hence, in this method, we will create a new Windows user account with administrative privileges.
- Open “Control Panel”.
- Click on the “User” icon.
- Select the “Create New User Choice”.
- Click on the “Administrator” as a user type.
After creating a new account, log out. Then, you can restart your PC and login to your Windows account using the new login credentials. Now, move the QuickBooks company files to the desktop. As the last step, you can launch QuickBooks and try accessing your company file.
Method 6: Quick Fix My Program
If you have issues with your program or viewing QuickBooks error 6123 0 then you should run the Quick Fix my Program tool. This is itself available in QuickBooks Tools Hub. Here is how to perform this. choose this component to fix the issues.
- Launch “QuickBooks Tool Hub”.
- Choose the “Program Problems” component from the left.
- Hit the “Quick Fix my program” button.
This process might take a minute to finish and repair the program. To verify the issue, you can launch QuickBooks and open company files.
Method 7: Restart Windows System in Safe Mode
By restarting your system in Safe Mode, you can recover a number of problems affecting your computer. To enter in Safe Mode, you can do the following:
- On your Windows 10 PC login screen, hold down the “Shift” key.
- Then, select the “Restart” in the “Shutdown” options.
- Now, you will see “Advanced Boot Options” on the startup screen.
- Choose “Troubleshoot”.
- Click on “Advanced Options”. This will display several advanced options.
- Select “Startup Settings”.
- Click on the “Restart” option.
- Once it restarts, you will see an active boot options list. Here, you need to use F4 to enable Safe Mode.
Entering in Safe Mode, your system will restrict the third party application to affect your QuickBooks software. Thereafter, you can open or update your QuickBooks company files.
Method 8: Disable Antivirus Programs
Third-party Antivirus programs often block certain actions due to which you encounter unwanted errors in QuickBooks. If you are a security program such as McAfee then you can disable the software temporarily. If disabling does not help then you can remove the software and try accessing your QuickBooks company files.
Method 9: Reinstall QuickBooks
Reinstalling the QuickBooks program, you can reset the settings and repair errors effortlessly. Hence, in this method, we will uninstall and reinstall the program by adding a license key.
- Open the “Control Panel” using the Windows search bar.
- Now, click on the “Uninstall a program” option.
- Go to the “Programs and Features” option.
- Then, hit the “Uninstall a Program” option.
Note: If you don’t see the Programs and Features then you can simply go to the Programs and choose the Program and Feature option.
- Now, click on the “QuickBooks” program from the list of all programs.
- Then, hit the “Uninstall/Change” button.
- Click on the “Remove” option.
- Hit the “Next” button.
Once the software is removed successfully, you can proceed with the QuickBooks reinstallation.
- Download the QuickBooks software based on the version of your operating system.
- Save the file “QuickBooks.exe.” on the preferred location.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Accept the “License Agreement” and hit the “Next” button.
- Now, add the “Product and License Key” you have noted down earlier.
- Hit the “Next” button.
When you successfully activate your QuickBooks account, you can open your company file. This should solve error 6123 0 in QuickBooks 2018.
Method 10: Restore Company File
By restoring the company file using the backup, you can fix error 6123 in QuickBooks. All you have to move your company backup file to the local hard drive. You should also make sure that you don’t remove the drive or open the file using the online storage folder. Restoring the company file can really help you to solve the error.
Method 11: Move Your Company File to Another Location
To identify if the problem is with the file path, you should try moving the company file to a different location. All you have to do is copy the file from its original location and paste it into a new folder. Here is how:
- Go to the folder where your company file is stored.
- Click right on the company file.
- Select the “Copy” option. Make sure you copy the file with the correct file extension (.QBW).
- Then, click right on the desktop screen to choose the “New Folder” option.
- Paste the copied file to the new folder you just created.
After changing the file location, you can try to open or update the company file from the new location. This will help you to access your files easily.
All these methods are quite helpful to resolve QuickBooks error 6123 0 when you fail to access your QuickBooks company file.
Condition 2: Restoring the Backup on a New Device
Another condition when you encounter the error 6123 in QuickBooks is when you restore the company file backup on another system. In such circumstances, you can implement effective methods such as create a portable company file to restore the company file or use the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool.
Method 1: Create Portable Company File
By creating a portable company file, you can restore your company file without facing errors. To do so, you can do the following:
- Launch “QuickBooks Program” on the same device that was used to take a backup of the company file.
- Now, open the original company file.
- Here, you can create a “Portable company file”.
- Once the portable file is created, launch “QuickBooks Desktop” on another device.
- Now, restore your company file with the portable copy of the company file.
Instead of using a backup file, if you use the portable file for restoring the company file, you will not encounter any error.
Method 2: Use QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool
Another method to restore your company files safely is to use the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool. Let’s know how to restore the .adr file.
- Make a new folder for “QBTest”.
- Open the folder that contains your company file.
- Now, locate “.tlg file” in the company file folder.
- Then copy the folder and paste it to the folder you created.
- After this, launch the “QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery” folder.
- Now, copy the “.QBW.adr file” and paste it into the new folder. Eventually, you have both “.tlg.file” and “QBW.adr” in the same folder.
- Open the new folder and click right on the “.QBW.adr file”.
- Select the “Rename” option.
- Now, remove the “.adr” specified at the end of the file name.
- Once done, launch the “QuickBooks Program” and open your “QB company file” which you have stored in the new folder.
- Then, verify if the transactions are available in your file.
- After that, verify the data by going to:
- Select the “Utilities” option.
- Go to the “Verify Data” button.
After following these steps, you can drag the corrupted file to a different location. This way, you can restore your company files without conflicting with errors.
Condition 3: Configuring the Multi-User Setup
There can be instances that you confront error 6123 in QuickBooks 2017 when you configure the multi-user setup.
To resolve this error, you can try renaming ND or TLG files, rescan the company files, configure Firewall & Antivirus ports, and adjust QuickBooks hosting settings.
Method 1: Rename TLG and ND Files
By changing the file name of QuickBooks files, you can easily resolve error 6123 in QuickBooks 2017. Here are the steps for that.
- Close all QuickBooks windows.
- Open the QuickBooks company file on the server.
- Now, open the file related to QuickBooks but the extension (file name at the end) should be “TLG” or “ND” file.
- Then, click right on the “TLG” file and go to the “Rename” option.
- Add “Old” at the end of your file name.
- Do the same for the ND file. After renaming the files, you can close the folder.
- Doing so, your “.ND” and “TLG” file will be created automatically when you access the company files.
By changing the name of your QB company files, you can easily get rid of the error 6123 in QuickBooks 2017.
Method 2: Re-scan Company Files in QuickBooks Database Server Manager
To proceed with this procedure, you are advised to stop the QBDBMgrN.exe file in the Task Manager. Also, restart your QuickBooks services using the service.msc command in the Run box. Once done, you can continue rescanning the company files in the following steps:
- Launch QuickBooks Database Server Manager”.
- Browse “QuickBooks company file” in order to scan.
Once the company file gets scanned successfully, you can close the windows and try accessing your company files.
Method 3: Add Firewall Ports Exceptions for QuickBooks
By configuring the firewall settings, you can easily resolve QuickBooks error 6123 0. All you have to create an inbound and outbound rule. Here are the steps for that:
- Press the “Start” button.
- Type “Windows Firewall” in the search bar to open it.
- In the “Advanced Settings”, click right on the “Inbound Rules”.
- Click on the “New Rule”.
- Now, click the “Next” button located under the “Programs”.
- Then, click on the “This Program Path”.
- Now, browse a file location for QuickBooks.
- Hit the “Next” button.
- Select the “Allow the Connection”.
- Hit the “Next” button
- Ensure that all the options are checked.
- Then, click “Next”.
- Enter the name for your new rule.
- Click the “Finish” button.
In the same way, you can create an outbound rule. Once you successfully add ports to your firewall settings, you can rectify errors easily.
Method 4: Switch to Single User Mode
Since you get QuickBooks error 6123 0 while configuring the multi-user mode so you can try to turn single-user mode. This can be done using these instructions:
- Open the company file.
- Click on the “File” menu.
- Select the “Switch Company File to Single User Mode” option.
- Now, go to the “File” menu again.
- Click on the “Utilities” option.
- Select “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
- Now, reactive it again by going to the “File” menu.
- Choose the “Utilities” option.
- Click on “Host Multi-User Access”.
- Hit the “Yes” button when prompted.
Once you perform these steps, you can switch to the multi-user mode again. This will quickly remove the error 6123 0 in QuickBooks 2018.
Apart from this, you can set full access to the folder and move your company file to another location if required.
In a Nutshell
Here, we found that sometimes the error 6123 0 may emerge after updating QuickBooks. There can also be instances wherein the Windows PC that you are using to access QuickBooks is resulting in it. When such are the causes, the accounting software should be reinstalled. Also, you can restart your computer, preferably in the Safe Mode, for troubleshooting the error 6123 0. Tools like QuickBooks File Doctor Tool can also be used as a reliable measure for doing away with this error. As a tip to prevent this error from recurring, you can keep the QB company files free from errors.
While using your QuickBooks company files, you may sometimes find other errors as well. The PS033 QuickBooks error is one such problem. To deal with it, you can find out the fixes here.