Updating BIOS on your Dell Latitude Laptop can improve its overall performance. An updated BIOS can also resolve any compatibility issues turning up on your Dell device. With the BIOS update, you can get many more features too. So, do you know how to update BIOS Dell Latitude Laptop? If not, then you can learn it now! We have 11 different methods for updating BIOS on your Dell Latitude Laptop. Know in-depth about these methods in this blog.
- What is BIOS?
- Why should You Update Dell Latitude BIOS?
- 11 Methods To Update BIOS in Dell Latitude Laptop
- Method 1: Update BIOS Supported To UEFI Systems
- Method 2: Flash BIOS Update
- Method 3: Create a USB Bootable Storage Device by Using FreeDOS
- Method 4: Download BIOS To System Prior To Start
- Method 5: Update BIOS on Dell Systems Prior To 2015
- Method 6: Update BIOS Using USB Flash Drive
- Method 7: Update BIOS in Windows
- Method 8: Update BIOS via F12 One-time Boot Menu
- Method 9: Update BIOS on System with BitLocker Enabled
- Method 10: Dell Latitude 5480 BIOS Update
- Method 11: Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 BIOS Update
Now, let us start reading to understand the meaning of BIOS, the benefits of updating BIOS on your Dell device, and the various methods to update it without any difficulty.
What is BIOS?
BIOS is the software that is enclosed in a small memory chip on a system’s motherboard, usually called the CMOS. It works as an edge between the computer’s hardware and operating system like Windows, allowing the software to control the system’s hardware.
Why should You Update Dell Latitude BIOS?
Dell suggests updating the BIOS as the portion of your planned update cycle. Identical to driver revisions and the operating system, the update comprises feature boosts as well as changes that help in keeping your computer software updated, making it compatible with other computer modules, and offering increased stability and security updates.
As Ubuntu and Linux allocations are becoming more popular on Dell Latitude, there are several circumstances where a Linux setting is present. Our team can help you in updating BIOS Dell, Dell XPS 13 BIOS update, Dell Latitude E5500 BIOS update, Dell Latitude E5530 BIOS update, and Dell Latitude D820 BIOS update.
11 Methods To Update BIOS in Dell Latitude Laptop
In this post, we have shared 11 different methods to update the BIOS on your Dell Latitude Laptop. The methods for updating the BIOS on several models of the Dell Latitude series laptops have also been mentioned in the upcoming sections.
Method 1: Update BIOS Supported To UEFI Systems
All the Dell computers from 2015 support flashing an updated BIOS from the boot menu. If you too have one of these systems and want to update the BIOS on it, then you can follow the method given below. This method has only 13 short steps.
1. Format the “USB storage device”.
2. Next, plug in the “USB storage device” just like a memory stick.
3. Then click on the “Ubuntu” dash icon.
4. Now, enter the disks to look for the “Disks program”.
5. Click on the “Disks”.
6. Choose the “USB flash drive” that is on the left.
7. Click on the “Equipment” icon.
8. Choose “Format”.
9. Assure that the “Type” is set to “FAT”.
10. Click on the “Format” button.
11. Download “BIOS update”.
12. Choose the “BIOS update”, and then download it using your web browser.
13. Navigate to the “Downloaded” folder, and copy-paste the BIOS to the “USB” disk.
Note for Readers: The BIOS ends in an EXE extension. Although Linux does open it natively, it processes the BIOS properly.
Method 2: Flash BIOS Update
The second method for the BIOS update Dell Latitude device is short and easy. Let us read the 5 steps given below to try this method. Before you begin, you should ensure that your computer has been plugged into an authority outlet. If it has not been plugged into the authority outlet, then plug it immediately and then administer this method for flash BIOS update.
1. The first step is to restart your Dell computer.
2. Then press the “F12” key at the Dell splash screen.
3. Choose the “BIOS Flash Update”.
4. In the popup, navigate to the “USB disk” and choose the downloaded “BIOS”.
5. Once the update process gets finished, your computer will automatically reboot. Then you can use it.
Method 3: Create a USB Bootable Storage Device by Using FreeDOS
Dell Latitude BIOS update can be executed by creating a USB bootable storage device with the help of FreeDOS. Also, for the users who have the earlier versions of Ubuntu and Linux on the systems, BIOS can be updated by following this method. For this, the users will be required to generate bootable USB storage programs with FreeDOS to go ahead with flashing the BIOS.
Ubuntu 16.04 natively notifies you for BIOS updates. The computer regularly verifies updates for BIOS. When an update is obtainable, a popup is demonstrated to flash the update.
Note for Readers: This process may not function on a computer that is not having the installed Linux factory. This procedure involves the use of third party services to build the bootable USB key. This procedure is not assisted by Dell Technical Support.
Method 4: Download BIOS To System Prior To Start
Downloading the BIOS update to your Dell device prior to the start is the fourth helpful method. You can execute this method in 4 well-defined steps.
1. The BIOS update for the application can be situated.
2. “UNetbootin” can be installed by visiting the “Software Center” in Linux, by looking for “UNetbootin”, and then by installing it.
3. After “UNetbootin” is installed, run the application, and choose the “Diskimage” choice, and establish ISO. Then choose the “FreeDOS Base ISO file” that was earlier downloaded.
4. Choose the “Type” as “USB Drive” and then the drive. Then click on “Ok”.
Method 5: Update BIOS on Dell Systems Prior To 2015
If you have a Dell system prior to 2015, then you can follow the method given below to update the BIOS on it. You can perform this BIOS update method in only 7 steps.
1. After the “BIOS flash file” has been imitated, restart the computer, and press the “F12” key at the Dell logo to convey up the “One-time boot menu”.
2. Choose the “USB storage device” to wader from the USB stick.
3. Once the computer extends the “Boot menu”, select the “FDOS” possibility, and then select “Safe mode”.
4. Once the boot has finished, it will be displayed as A prompt.
5. Change the drive letter to “B” or “C”.
6. Enter the “File name” of the flash file BIOS to start the update procedure and press “Enter”.
7. Once the update has finished, the computer should be automatically rebooted.
Method 6: Update BIOS Using USB Flash Drive
In this method, we will teach you how to get the BIOS updated with the help of a USB flash drive. The instructions for this method have been given as follows. Go through these and then Update BIOS on your Dell computer.
1. First, you have to make a bootable USB flash drive.
2. Next, download the BIOS update file.
3. Now, save the file to your USB flash drive.
4. Now, turn off your Dell computer.
5. Connect your USB flash drive to it.
6. Then restart your Dell computer.
7. Tap the “F12” key on the Dell logo screen. Then you will enter the “One Time Boot Menu”.
8. Choose “USB storage device” with the help of the arrow keys.
9. Then hit “Enter”.
10. When the command prompt appears, fill in the complete BIOS filename.
11. Again hit “Enter”.
12. On the BIOS Update Utility screen, you will find a set of instructions. Follow these instructions to continue with the BIOS update procedure.
Note for Readers: Make sure that you don’t power off your Dell computer while the BIOS update is in process. Also, if you are using this BIOS update procedure for your Dell laptop, then see to it that the battery is installed, and is at least 10% charged. You can also run your Dell laptop computer on the AC power for performing this method.
Method 7: Update BIOS in Windows
Now, let us find out how to update BIOS Dell Latitude in Windows on your system. The method to do so has been given here. Follow the 12 steps of this method to update the BIOS without any difficulty.
1. Open the web browser on your Dell device.
2. Then visit “www.dell.com/support/drivers”.
3. You will be requested to identify your product. Provide the “Service tag”. Alternatively, you can click on “Browse for a product” to manually choose.
4. In case the system is not correct, click on “View a different product”. Then fill in your “Service tag” again or browse it manually.
5. Click on the “Find it myself” tab.
6. On the bottom of the page, click on “Refine your results”.
7. In the “Category” menu, click on “BIOS” to refine the results.
8. In case you see more than 1 file, then tap “View details” and then click on “Important information”.
9. Tap on the option of “Download file”.
10. This file should be saved to your “Desktop”.
11. Then go to your “Desktop”, and click twice on its icon.
12. Go through the instructions that appear. Follow these instructions to finish installing it. After this, your system will be rebooted and the BIOS update will be administered.
Method 8: Update BIOS via F12 One-time Boot Menu
For the Dell systems that have been made after 2012, this method can be useful. Before you begin with this method, you will require a USB key that has been formatted to the FAT32 file system. Also, ensure that the BIOS executable file downloaded from the website of Dell Support has been copied to the USB key’s root. Then connect the AC power adapter to your system. And the function system battery too should be connected for flashing the BIOS. Now, let us read the steps to perform this BIOS update Dell Latitude method.
1. Power off your computer.
2. Then insert the USB key. Ensure that the flash has been copied into its port.
3. Now, power on your computer.
4. Tap the “F12” key. Then you will enter the “One-time Boot Menu”.
5. With the help of the arrow keys, select “BIOS flash update”.
6. Hit “Enter”.
7. Then press the “Browse” button in the BIOS flash menu.
8. The BIOS flash executable file will be visible in the browse pop up.
9. Select the file and tap “Ok”.
10. Tap the “Begin flash update” button.
11. You will be prompted by a warning box. Click on “Yes” to confirm.
The BIOS flash will begin. Your system will reboot and the BIOS flash will start. You can check its progress in the progress bar. This process may take up to 10 minutes. When the process is over, your system will reboot.
Note for Readers: Some users have reported that the Dell Latitude BIOS update failed. To prevent such a situation, ensure that you do not power off your Dell system.
Method 9: Update BIOS on System with BitLocker Enabled
In case you are wondering how to update BIOS Dell Latitude Laptop with BitLocker enabled, we have an easy method to help you out. This method for updating BIOS Dell Latitude is only 10 steps long.
1. Tap “Start”.
2. Click on “Control Panel”.
3. Go to “System and security”.
4. Click on “BitLocker Drive Encryption”.
5. Choose “Suspended protection”.
6. Click on “Yes” in case you are prompted to confirm.
7. Then visit the website of Dell Support to download the latest BIOS update.
8. Save the downloaded file on your “Desktop”.
9. Run the downloaded file and follow the instructions on your screen.
10. Your system will be rebooted once the BIOS update has been installed successfully.
Method 10: Dell Latitude 5480 BIOS Update
Here, we will see how to update BIOS on your Dell Latitude 5480 Laptop. This procedure has been explained in detail in 15 steps. Read these steps before you start updating it.
1. Restart your Dell laptop.
2. Open “Dell.com/support” on your web browser.
3. Fill in the “Service tag”/”Express service code”. In case you don’t know the “Service tag”/”Express service code”, click on “Choose from all products” or “Detect product”. Then do as per the instructions.
4. Then click on submit.
5. Select the “Product category”.
6. Choose the model of your Dell laptop. It will take you to the “Product support” page.
7. Click on “Get drivers”.
8. Click on “Drivers and downloads”.
9. Click on “Find it myself” in the “Driver and downloads” section.
10. Tap on “BIOS” to see the version.
11. Click on “Download” to get the latest BIOS.
12. Go to “Please select your download method below”, choose your method, and press “Download file”.
13. Press “Save”.
14. Then press “Run”.
15. Do as per the instructions on your screen to finish installing the BIOS update.
Method 11: Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 BIOS Update
For the users of Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 Laptop, this method for updating the BIOS on it will work like a charm. Let us take a look at the steps involved in this method.
1. Restart your Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 laptop.
2. Open “Dell.com/support” on your browser.
3. Enter your “Express service code” or “Service tag” and press “Submit”. You can also select the option “Choose from all products”.
4. Then detect your product and do as per the instructions.
5. You will see a list. Select “Products” from the list.
6. Find the model of your device and visit the “Product support page”.
7. Tap “Get drivers’ and then tap “Drivers and downloads”.
8. Tap “Find it myself”.
9. Then click on “BIOS” and then click on “Download”. Ensure that you download the latest version.
10. You will be asked to select the download method. Then tap “Download file”.
11. In the “File download window”, tap on “Save”.
12. Click on “Run” to install the BIOS update. You will be provided with the instructions on your screen to complete this process.
Note for Readers: In case BitLocker has been enabled on your Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 laptop, then you will need to suspend it before you install the BIOS update. Once the BIOS has been updated on your device, you can enable it again.
Dell Laptop Models Compatible with BIOS Update Methods
The 11 methods to update BIOS on Dell Latitude Laptops, shown in this blog, can be used for the following models as well.
|Dell Latitude 10 Laptop||Dell Latitude 3180 Laptop||Dell Latitude 3330 Laptop||Dell Latitude 3400 Laptop|
|Dell Latitude 3460 Laptop||Dell Latitude 3480 Laptop||Dell Latitude 3500 Laptop||Dell Latitude 5500 Laptop|
|Dell Latitude 5590 Laptop||Dell Latitude 7280 Laptop||Dell Latitude 7370 Laptop||Dell Latitude 7390 Laptop|
|Dell Latitude L400 Laptop||Dell Latitude 6430U BIOS Laptop|
The BIOS update methods mentioned above are also suitable for the following models of the Dell Latitude D series laptops in the table.
|Dell Latitude D510 LaptopDell Latitude||Dell Latitude D530 Laptop||Dell Latitude D600 Laptop||Dell Latitude D620 Laptop|
|D620 Laptop (Windows 7)||Dell Latitude D630 A19 Laptop||Dell Latitude D630 Laptop (Windows 10)||Dell Latitude D630 Laptop (Windows 7)|
|Dell Latitude D810 Laptop||Dell Latitude D820 Laptop|
The different methods provided in this blog for updating BIOS can be used for the various models of the Dell Latitude E series laptops given in the table below.
|Dell Latitude E4310 Laptop||Dell Latitude E4310 A07 Laptop||Dell Latitude E5500 Laptop||Dell Latitude E5510 Laptop|
|Dell Latitude E5250 Laptop||Dell Latitude E5410 A10 Laptop||Dell Latitude E5520 Laptop||Dell Latitude E5570 Laptop|
|Dell Latitude E6220 Laptop||Dell Latitude E6400 Laptop||Dell Latitude E6400 A32 Laptop||Dell Latitude E6410 A16 Laptop|
|Dell Latitude E6420 A08 Laptop||Dell Latitude E6440 Laptop||Dell Latitude E6510 Laptop||Dell Latitude E6510 A09 Laptop|
|Dell Latitude E6540 Laptop||Dell Latitude E7240 Laptop||Dell Latitude E7440 Laptop|
To Sum up
For those of you who want to develop a fine understanding of what BIOS is and how updating it can improve the functioning of your Dell device, this blog will be the best read. In addition to that, this blog helps you to update BIOS on Dell Latitude laptops and other such models with much ease. We hope our clear sets of instructions were simple for you to follow.
We have cool methods and fantastic solutions for everything you need. Would you like to read more or trouble with different problems like Dell laptop black screen, Dell laptop won’t turn on? You can check out.