Just a tiny bit of paper is enough to produce the HP paper jam error. And not removing this little piece of paper stuck in your device can cause further damage. Gradually, your HP printer will stop working if you do not clear the HP printer paper jam soon. We know at least 8 ways to keep the HP printer paper jam away and keep you working uninterrupted. Read our solutions and follow the steps provided to fix the error with all speed.
Causes of HP Printer Paper Jam
Before we explore the solutions, let us have a look at the causes of the HP paper jam error. This error can be caused due to the following reasons:
1. Overfilling Paper Tray
The paper tray of your HP printer comes with a certain capacity limit to load the sheets. Overfilling this tray will only cause problems such as the HP printer paper jam.
2. Not Positioning Paper Correctly
The second most common cause of this error is the incorrect position of the printing paper in the paper tray. When you position it incorrectly, it may get stuck in your HP printer.
3. Using Incorrect Paper
It has been found that users often use the printing paper that is of inferior quality or the wrong size. We will advise you to check the manual of your HP printer to understand the right kind and size of printing paper to avoid such paper jam errors.
4. Dust Particles in HP Printer
Not cleaning your device may result in HP printer paper jam error but no paper jam. So, even when there is no paper stuck, dust will disrupt the printer’s functioning and display the paper jam error. Therefore, the more you care for your HP printer, the less likely will be the HP printer paper jam.
How to Fix Paper Jam in HP Printer?
In this guide, we will tell you 8 impressive solutions to fix the HP printer paper jam with great ease. Our solutions have not only been tried and tested but are also known for being effective. In addition to these 8 solutions, we will also share with you device-specific fixes for the HP printer paper jam.
Fix 1: Check Front Cover for Jammed Paper
The easiest and quickest HP paper jam fix is to check the front cover of the device. If at all you find any bits of jammed paper, be gentle while you pull them out.
Fix 2: Check Input Tray for Jammed Paper
The first HP printer paper jam solution involves checking the input tray. Learn how to check the input tray and remove the paper from this area in 8 steps.
1. Plug in the printer and press the “Power” button.
2. While the printer is on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
3. Locate the input tray.
4. Pull the paper gently out of the input tray.
5. Look inside the input tray and remove bits of paper or any other objects that may have fallen inside the tray.
6. Return the printer to its normal position.
7. Reconnect the power cord and turn the printer on.
8. Now, use your HP printer as usual.
Fix 3 : Check Output Tray for Jammed Paper
In this fix, we will tell you how to get a paper jam out of HP printer by accessing the output tray. This fix can be executed in only 4 simple steps.
1. Turn off the printer and disconnect the power cord.
2. Locate the output tray
3. Gently pull the jammed paper out, if any, of the output tray to remove it.
4. Now, try to print. Your device will work smoothly.
Fix 4 : Clean Paper Feed Rollers
As you may know, paper feed rollers make a common spot for the paper to get stuck. Here is how to solve paper jam in HP printer by cleaning these rollers in 5 quick steps.
1. Turn off the printer and disconnect the power cord.
2. Raise up the input tray and open it.
3. Find the gray paper pick rollers and clean it thoroughly with a damp cloth to remove dust or dirt buildup.
4. Dry the rollers completely before placing them back.
5. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the printer.
Fix 5 : Clean Printer Rollers
Cleaning the printer rollers can also help you in doing away with the HP paper jam error. Below we have explained a 6-step procedure to clean them in the right way.
1. Remove all papers from the input tray.
2. Press the “Down arrow” to select “Settings” and press “Ok”.
3. Press the “Down arrow” to select “Tools”, and press “Ok”.
4. Now, select “Clean paper feed” and press “Ok”.
5. Wait until the printer stops the cleaning process completely before you continue.
6. Now try to print.
Fix 6 : Reset HP Printer
Interestingly, sometimes users report the problem of HP printer paper jam error but no paper jam for real. Resetting the device will be a smart idea to clear this error. Learn how to reset your HP printer to fix this error.
1. Turn on the HP printer.
2. Now, disconnect the power cord from the printer.
3. Unplug the power cord from the outlet.
4. Wait for 60 seconds.
5. Now, plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
7. Turn on your printer and check if the issue has been resolved.
Fix 7 : Check Entire Printer for Jammed Paper
Here we have a detailed solution for you to check the entire device for a paper jam. Follow all the steps provided below to clear the HP paper jam error.
1. Tap the “Resume” button on your HP printer. If you can still see the HP printer paper jam, move to the next step.
2. Open the rear access door of your HP printer.
3. Look inside the device for jammed paper.
4. Check the rollers inside and pull out the jammed paper, if any.
5. Now, put the rear access door back to its place and then press the “Resume” button if you did not find any paper stuck inside.
6. Next, lift up the front cover of your HP printer.
7. Look for paper jams and pull them out gently.
8. Ensure that the print carriage is working fine.
9. For this, plug out the power cord. Check that the carriage is moving freely from side to side.
10. Rotate the rollers thrice in the upward direction with your fingers.
11. If the rollers and carriage seem to be stuck while you move them, check whether the paper is stuck in these parts.
12. Pull down the front cover of your HP printer.
13. Fill the paper tray with printing paper.
14. Then press and hold the “Resume” button.
15. Release the “Resume” button when you see a test page getting printed.
Fix 8 : Clear Paper Jam from Rear of Printer
HP paper jam may not necessarily be in the output tray or input tray. Your HP printer saying paper jam can be fixed by accessing the rear of the device too. See here how to clear the paper jam from your HP printer via the rear access panel.
1. Look for an “Access” tab or a knob behind your HP printer. It may also be on the panel.
2. Find and pull the jammed paper after removing the panel.
3. Make sure no bits of paper are left behind.
4. Now, place the panel to its original position.
5. Next, you will find “Release” buttons at the end of the module. Press them to remove the panel.
6. Look for jammed paper and clear it.
7. Then place the module back to its original position.
8. Now, press the button located on top of the module.
9. Then open the door of the module.
10. Take off the panel as well as jammed paper, if any.
11. Close the door of the module.
Models Compatible with Solutions
The solutions mentioned in this blog can be used for fixing the paper jam errors in the following models of the HP OfficeJet series as well.
|HP OfficeJet 3830 Printer||HP OfficeJet 4500 Printer||HP OfficeJet 4650 Printer||HP OfficeJet 6500A Plus Printer|
|HP OfficeJet J6450 Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro 6830 Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Printer|
|HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Printer|
The solutions provided in this blog can be used for clearing the paper jam error in the following models of the HP LaserJet series too.
|HP Color LaserJet CM2320 MFP Printer||HP Color LaserJet Pro M452DN Printer||HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477FNW Printer||HP LaserJet M1522 Printer|
|HP LaserJet M1005 MFP Printer||HP LaserJet 4100N Printer||HP LaserJet 4250 Printer||HP LaserJet P1005 Printer|
Device-Specific Solutions for HP Paper Jam
In the following sections, we will tell you how to resolve the HP printer paper jam error in multiple models. We have also provided instructions for every solution.
How to Fix HP 1320 Paper Jam Problem?
By accessing the print cartridge door, you can fix the HP 1320 paper jam problem without much difficulty. The procedure to do has been provided below.
1. First, you have to open the print cartridge door.
2. Now, take off the print cartridge.
3. The third step involves accessing the straight-through output door.
4. You will see green pressure release levers. Rotate them.
5. Remove jammed paper visible with both hands.
6. Then put the print cartridge back.
7. Finally, close the print cartridge door.
How to Fix HP 8500A Paper Jam Problem?
HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A Printer can also experience paper jams at times. To remove the HP paper jam error from this model, follow the 5 steps given here.
1. Look for visible pieces of jammed paper.
2. Then look at the carriage path of the HP printer.
3. Now, reset the printheads of the printer.
4. The next step is to clean the rollers of the printer.
5. Reset the device once the printer rollers have been cleaned.
How to Fix HP DeskJet GT 5810 Paper Jam or Tray Problem?
Are you experiencing constant paper jam issues with your HP DeskJet GT 5810 Printer? Try this 6-step HP paper jam fix to solve the problem with ease.
1. Begin with inspecting the input tray, output tray, and the printhead access area for jammed paper. Also, look underneath your printer.
2. The second step is to check that the carriage is moving smoothly. If not, then there could be paper or any object stuck in the area. Remove the obstruction.
3. Next, clean the paper rollers.
4. Also, remove any ink smears.
5. Now, clean the rollers in the input tray area.
6. The sixth step is to reset your HP printer.
How to Remove Paper Jam HP Envy 5660 Printer?
In case your HP Envy 5660 Printer is displaying the paper jam error on its screen, you can settle the problem by following the solution we have provided here.
1. Check the input tray, output tray, paper path as well as the ink cartridge access area for any bits of paper.
2. Now, ensure that the carriage is moving freely. If it is not, then search for paper stuck to its sides and remove it gently.
3. Clear the page smears using automated tools. For this, swipe the display on the “Control panel” to the left. Press “Setup”, select “Tools”, swipe the display up to select “Clean page smears”.
4. Now, clean the paper feed rollers manually with a lint-free cloth slightly dipped in water.
5. Reset your HP Envy 5660 Printer afterwards.
How to Fix HP Envy 120 Paper Jam?
When the HP paper jam error stops you from using your HP Envy 120 Printer, keep the solution we have shown here handy.
1. Restart your printer and then print the “Printer status report”.
2. Now, remove the paper jam from the duplexer and the cartridge access area.
3. For this, tap the “Paper tray icon” on the “Control panel”.
4. Take out the paper tray and clear any loose paper.
5. Tap the “Power” button to turn off the printer.
6. Open the scanner lid and cartridge access door.
7. Remove the power cord from the rear of your HP printer.
8. On the paper path cover, press both the tabs. Then lift and remove the cover. Lift the cover in the duplexer cover via the v-shaped notch.
9. Remove the jammed paper from this area and place back the cover.
10. Press the two tabs again and close the cover.
11. Check the cartridge access area for jammed paper.
12. Lastly, reset your HP Envy 120 Printer.
How to Remove Paper Jam from HP Envy 5530 Printer?
Here you can find a short procedure with only 3 steps to remove the paper jam error from your HP Envy 5530 Printer.
1. Remove the jammed paper from the rear roller, duplexer, and the input tray.
2. Ensure that your HP Envy 5530 has been kept on a flat surface.
3. Access the ink cartridge area to clean the paper rollers.
Bonus for our Readers
For our beloved readers who have come this far, we will be revealing 5 great tips to prevent the HP paper jam error.
1. Insert the paper correctly in the paper tray.
2. If your HP printer has a sliding mechanism, make sure that it has been positioned in the right manner.
3. Make sure that the paper sizes do not get mixed when you print more pages at the same time.
4. Try to not overfill the paper tray of your HP printer. This can often cause HP paper jam.
5. Refer to the HP printer manual to know the type of printing paper that is suitable for your model. Using incorrect printing paper will give rise to jams.
Let Us Conclude
Our guide promises you no more paper jam sessions with your HP printer. These tested solutions, as well as the tips to prevent HP paper jam error, will help you troubleshoot this problem without any difficulty.