“Help! My HP printer is printing blank pages.” It would not be wrong to say that a lot of you encounter the issue and may not know how to fix this problem. For fixing it, taming the causes will be ideal. When your HP printer is giving the output of blank pages, its nozzles may be clogged or the cartridge may be having low levels of ink. In other instances, corrupt printer drivers and software issues can trigger the issue.
Our measures to fix this HP printer problem can definitely be trusted. Founded by the experts, our guide to fixing the HP printer printing blank pages guarantees quick solutions. We will be changing the cartridges, aligning the device, and updating the printer driver in this guide among other things.
So let’s begin this informative tour!
- Why is My HP Printer Printing Blank Pages
- How to Fix HP Printer that Prints Blank Pages?
- Fix 1 – Use Original HP Cartridges
- Fix 2 – Check Ink Levels in HP Printer
- Fix 3 – Change the Ink Cartridges
- Fix 4 – Align Your HP Printer
- Fix 5 – Restart Your HP Printer
- Fix 6 – Update HP Printer Driver
- Fix 7 – Reinstall Printer Driver
- Fix 8 – Launch Troubleshooter
- Fix 9 – Configure Print Spooler Service
- Fix 10 – Launch HP Print and Scan Doctor
- Fix 11 – Check for Blank Pages in Document
- Fix 12 – Clean Printhead of Your HP Printer
- Fix 13 – Turn Off Cover Page/Separation Page Option
- Fix 14: Recognize and Replace Problematic Cartridge
- Fix 15: Unclog HP Printer’s Printhead
- Fix 16: Get Your HP Printer Serviced
- How can I Fix HP Envy 4520 Printing Blank Pages?
Let’s begin the informative tour!
Why is My HP Printer Printing Blank Pages
There are 6 known causes of HP printer printing blank pages. These can range from the wrong size of the paper to old printer drivers. We believe that understanding the problem will be easier for you once the causes are known.
1. Incorrect Size of Printing Paper: Your device will give you a blank output when the printing paper’s size is not correct. The manual of your HP printer will tell you the right size of the printing paper.
2. Clogging of Nozzles: The nozzles of your HP printer can get clogged when the ink dries up. Cleaning the nozzles will be an excellent idea for escaping why is my HP printer printing blank pages
3. Issues with Software: In many instances, it has been observed that your HP printer will give you a blank output when the printer software has problems
4. No Ink in Cartridge: It is easy to guess that an empty cartridge will never help you print anything but blank pages. That is why checking the ink levels from time to time can help ensure that your printing work never stops.
5. Not Installing the Cartridge Properly: When the ink cartridges have not been installed properly in your HP printer, the device is likely to print blank pages or not print at all. Further, your device can also get damaged.
6. Corrupt/Outdated Printer Driver: If your HP printer keeps printing blank pages, then a faulty printer driver could be the culprit as well.
How to Fix HP Printer that Prints Blank Pages?
Learning the causes of HP printer printing blank pages will have improved your understanding of the issue. Now, we will help you learn how you can solve this problem. Our fixes are quick and easy. They require you to perform actions like checking the ink levels of the device, changing the cartridges, aligning the printer, as well as using tools such as the Windows Troubleshooter. Follow the steps provided for each of these 13 fixes and get back to printing in less time.
Fix 1 – Use Original HP Cartridges
HP has recommended that you use original HP ink cartridges and other supplies for printing. Genuine ink cartridges cause no damage to the device, reduce the possibility of printing errors, and offer longevity of usage as well. On the other hand, if the cartridges are not original, the functions and parts of your device may receive long-term damages.
Fix 2 – Check Ink Levels in HP Printer
Verify the ink levels in your HP printer to see if this is causing the problem of blank prints. When the ink cartridge is empty, printing will come to a halt. Follow the 4 steps given below to check the ink levels in your HP printer. These steps will guide you in entering the Tools option. From there, you can visit the tab of Estimated Ink Levels for knowing more about the availability of ink.
- Put the plain colourless paper in the “Paper tray”.
- Press the button next to the setup icon in the “Control panel”.
- Go to the “Tools” option and press “Ok”.
- Choose the “Estimated Ink Levels” and press “Ok”.
In case the ink levels are really low, you will require new ink cartridges.
Fix 3 – Change the Ink Cartridges
For the HP printer printing blank pages error, changing the old cartridges with the new HP cartridges can be helpful. For changing or replacing them, ensure that your device is idle. Then remove the cartridges by accessing its door. Later, you can place the new cartridges and try using them.
- Start the procedure when your printer is silent & idle. Remove the cartridge from the printer by opening the “Cartridge door”.
- “Contacts” and “Nozzles” are not to be disturbed.
- “Plastic tape” is to be removed.
- Put the new “HP cartridges” in the printer.
- Put the plain colourless paper in the “Input paper tray”.
- Turn on the HP printer by pressing the “Power” button.
Fix 4 – Align Your HP Printer
When your HP printer only prints blank pages, aligning the device will be an interesting fix. You can align your HP printer by selecting the button which is located next to “Setup”. Afterwards, you can go to “Tools” and select the option stating “Align Printer”. The steps that have to be executed for aligning your device have been given as follows:
- Turn on the HP printer when you are loading the papers for printing.
- Press the button next to the setup icon in the “Control panel”.
- Go to the “Tools” section and press “Ok”.
- Choose the “Align Printer” option and press “Ok”. Now, the printer will print the alignment page.
- Lift up the lid of your HP printer.
- You will now have to keep the printed section down. It should be placed on the right-front corner of your scanner glass.
Fix 5 – Restart Your HP Printer
Restarting your device can simply fix multiple errors. This fix is effective in situations wherein the HP printer keeps printing blank pages. To restart your HP printer, you can choose “Power” and detach the device’s power cable. After waiting for at least 3 minutes, you can reconnect the cable. Your device will be restarted.
- Tap the “Power” button of the device.
- Remove its power cable.
- Leave the HP printer idle for 3 minutes.
- Plug in the power cable again.
- Start your printer and use it as usual.
Fix 6 – Update HP Printer Driver
A printer driver that is out of date can easily give way to problems such as the HP printer printing blank pages. So, in this fix, we will tell you how to update your printer driver to sort the issue. For updating it, you can connect your system to your printer. Then you can get the most recent updates from the main site of HP Support.
- Turn on your HP printer.
- Connect it to your computer or laptop.
- Visit the official website of HP Support.
- Go to “Software and Driver Downloads”.
- Provide your HP printer’s model number.
- Find out if an update is available.
- Click on “Update” and go through the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Fix 7 – Reinstall Printer Driver
Even when your printer driver is up to date, it may be corrupt. You can uninstall and reinstall the printer driver when your HP printer keeps printing blank pages. In order to install the driver again, you can locate the Taskbar and input Add or Remove Programs in Search. Selecting a suitable icon, you have to choose your device from the list of the installed programs. This will be followed by uninstalling the driver. Now, for installing it again, you can make use of the directions give as follows:
- On the Taskbar, open the search box and type “Add or Remove Programs”.
- Now, click on the icon of “Add or Remove Programs”.
- Find and click on your HP printer in the “Installed Program List”.
- Select “Uninstall” and follow the instructions that appear.
- To reinstall the driver, turn on your HP printer.
- Visit the “HP Printer Driver Download” page on your system’s browser.
- Provide your HP printer’s model number and find the driver.
- Download the HP printer driver.
Fix 8 – Launch Troubleshooter
For those of you who are using the HP printer on a Windows 10 system, you can launch the troubleshooter to resolve the problem effortlessly. It can be launched by visiting Update & Security in your system’s Settings. This should be enough for fixing an HP printer printing blank pages on Windows 10.
- Go to “Settings” on your Windows 10 system.
- Select “Update & Security”.
- Tap on “Troubleshoot” in the left-pane menu.
- Click on “Printer” in the right-pane menu.
- Now, press “Run the Troubleshooter”.
The Troubleshooter will take a while to identify why the HP printer only prints blank pages and troubleshoot the problem.
Fix 9 – Configure Print Spooler Service
Sometimes, Print Spooler files that are damaged can also cause your printer to produce blank outputs. You can configure the Print Spooler service on Windows 10 as an easy fix. To do so, you can open Services via Run. After searching for Print Spooler, you can press twice on this option when it has been found. To know the remaining instructions, please scroll down.
- Tap the “Windows” key together with the “R” key on the system’s keyboard.
- When the “Run” dialog box opens, type “services.msc” and tap on “Ok”.
- When the “Services” window opens, search “Print Spooler” service.
- Tap twice on “Print Spooler” service and click “Stop”.
- Tap on “Ok” to confirm and save the changes.
- Next, press the “Windows” key together with the “E” key to open “File Explorer”.
- Then go to the folder location “C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS” and empty the folder.
- Go to “Services” again and tap twice on “Print Spooler” service.
- When a new window appears, press the “Start” option.
- Ensure that the Startup Type is “Automatic”.
- Finally, click on “Ok” to confirm.
Fix 10 – Launch HP Print and Scan Doctor
When your HP printer keeps printing blank pages, you can use the HP Print and Scan Doctor tool to find the cause of the trouble and settle it without any difficulty. This tool is available on the site of HP support. You can download, install, and run it. The directions for running it will appear on your screen.
- Visit the official website of HP Support.
- Download the “HP Print and Scan Doctor” tool.
- When the download is complete, open the “HP Print and Scan Doctor” tool.
- Read the on-screen instructions to finish the installation.
- Now, run the “HP Print and Scan Doctor” tool.
- Tap “Start”.
- Read the instructions that appear and use the tool to troubleshoot the printing problem.
Fix 11 – Check for Blank Pages in Document
The problem of HP printer printing blank pages can also surface when the document you are printing has blank pages in it. Follow the little procedure given below to skip the blank pages. This procedure will be different for Windows and Mac users.
Option 1: For Windows:
Look for Printing Preferences and opt for the Maintenance option on Windows. From here, you can enter the Settings. The option for skipping the blank pages will be mentioned here.
- On your Windows system, open “Printing Preferences”.
- Then select “Maintenance”.
- Now, click on “Settings”.
- Choose the “Skip blank page” option.
- Tap on “Ok” to save the settings.
Option 2: For Mac:
In case you are using Mac, Finder will enable you in selecting System Preferences. This is accompanied by choosing Print & Scan. Further instructions should be available on the display.
- On your Mac, open “Finder”.
- Choose “System Preferences”.
- Then click on “Print & Scan” or “Print & Fax”.
- Follow the instructions and the printing problem with your HP printer will be settled.
Fix 12 – Clean Printhead of Your HP Printer
If you suspect that your HP printer only prints blank pages due to clogged nozzles, then we will suggest you to clean the printhead of the device. Here we will tell you two ways to clean the printhead of your HP printer. This can be done via the Control Panel of your device or using your computer. You can choose either one of these based on your convenience.
Option 1: Clean Printhead via Printer’s Control Panel:
The Control Panel of the HP printer provides you with a “–” button. After pressing it, you can use the right arrow button to opt for Tools. For confirming your action, you can tap on Ok. After this, you can select the option of Clean Printhead using the same arrow button. The cleaning of the printhead may take a while.
- Insert a plain paper in the “Input tray”.
- On the device’s “Control panel”, tap the “–” button.
- Now press the “Right arrow” button.
- Choose “Tools” and confirm by pressing “Ok”.
- Press the “Right arrow” button and select “Clean Printhead”.
- Your HP printer will take a while to perform the cleaning and notify you once the process finishes.
Option 2: Clean Printhead via Computer:
If you have a computer, you can open its Settings and tap on Devices. Then via Printers & Scanners, you can identify your printing device. Accompanied by this step, you have to move to the tab stating Manage and enter the Printing Preferences. Here, you’ll be able to pick the option of cleaning the printhead.
- Open the “Start” menu.
- Go to the “Settings”.
- Tap on “Devices”.
- Choose “Printers & Scanners” on the left.
- Choose your HP printer from the list of printers available.
- Then go to the “Manage” tab.
- Now click on “Printing Preferences”.
- Next, go to the “Maintenance” tab and select “Clean Printhead”.
- Press “Start”.
Fix 13 – Turn Off Cover Page/Separation Page Option
Sometimes, you will find your HP printer printing blank pages before performing every job. This happens when the cover page or separation page option has been turned on. Below we have shared how to turn off this option. You will be required to visit the Printer Properties from the Settings of your Windows computer. After the option has been turned off, the problem should stop emerging.
- Open the “Start” menu.
- Tap “Settings”.
- Then tap “Devices”.
- Click on “Printer & Scanners” on the left.
- From the list of printers, select your HP device.
- Tap on “Manage”.
- Now click on “Printer properties”.
- Go to the “Advanced” tab.
- Open the “Separator Page”.
- A small window carrying a file location will open up. Delete the file location.
- Save the changes by clicking “Ok”.
Fix 14: Recognize and Replace Problematic Cartridge
This section will reveal how to fix HP printer printing blank pages by first checking the ink and then replacing it, if necessary. For recognizing a problematic cartridge, three processes are involved. These are inclusive of identifying which cartridge has to be replaced, how it has to be replaced, and how your printer has to be aligned afterwards.
- Review a printed sample page.
- Add plain sheets in your printer’s input tray.
- Tap on “Power“.
- Now, access the cartridge door for opening it.
- When your device becomes idle, push the cartridge downwards in a gentle manner.
- Using the “Pull” tab, the plastic tape has to be taken off.
- Grasping the cartridge from the sides, it has to be inserted in the slot based on the color. You will hear a click when it correctly fits in the slot. Ensure that the nozzles are facing towards your HP printer. Also, see to it that the cartridge’s icon matches with the slot’s icon.
- Moving the cartridge in the forward direction, fit it in the slot until you hear a clicking sound.
Note: In case more than one cartridge has to be inserted, you can repeat the steps mentioned above.
- The door of the cartridge has to be closed.
- For aligning your device, start your printer and choose the button near “Setup“.
- For choosing “Tools“, use the right arrow. Then select “Ok“.
- Using the right arrow, opt for “Align Printer” and push “Ok“.
- After the alignment page has been printed, pull up the lid. Keep the alignment page here. Ensure that it is facing downwards.
- Place the lid.
- Select “Ok“.
- Now, let the alignment sheet get scanned.
Fix 15: Unclog HP Printer’s Printhead
An HP printer, whose printhead is clogged, may provide you with blank printed pages. For seeing no issues with the prints, you can unclog the printhead by cleaning it. Even for cleaning it, you can find 2 options. These are inclusive of automatic and manual cleaning. The details for both of them can be found here.
Option 1: Unclog Printhead via Automatic Cleaning
If you have observed your HP printer printing blank pages after the cartridge is changed, then you should ensure whether or not the printhead has been clogged. In case the cartridge is fine but the printhead is not clean, blank pages may be produced.
For starting the cycle for the automatic cleaning of your HP printer’s printhead, you can check for the option to do so from the Control Panel of the machine. As an alternative, you can go to the Control Panel on your PC. Using the same, you can head to the Printer Properties. You can choose the option to deep clean the printhead in case that seems necessary.
Option 2: Use Manual Cleaning to Unclog Printhead
- Access the carriage of the cartridge.
- Remove all the units of the cartridge.
- Remove the printhead with care.
- Remove dried ink, if any, from the printhead with the help of a damped and lint-free piece of cloth. Ensure that you use warm water for dipping the cloth.
- The area surrounding the nozzles has to be gently cleansed.
- Take a bowl that has enough warm water. Place the printhead in it for at least 10 minutes.
Tip: A paper towel can be placed beneath the printhead at the time of dipping it.
- Afterwards, remove the water and let the printhead become dry. Take another paper towel and place the part over it.
- When it is completely dry, you can reinstall the printhead as well as the cartridge.
- Now, the process of nozzle checking can be launched for ensuring that the printhead is not dirty any longer.
Fix 16: Get Your HP Printer Serviced
The users of HP Envy Printers can opt for getting their devices serviced if the problem of blank pages is taking place even now. Printer repairing professionals will be able to identify the unusual cause. Further, they will assist you in mending that cause to restore the functioning of your HP printer.
Note: The fixes mentioned in this post will work on models such as HP 6520 Printer, HP 6978 Printer, HP Deskjet 2652 Printer, HP Envy 4500 Printer, HP Officejet 4650 Printer, HP Envy 4520 Printer, HP Envy 5055 Printer, HP Envy 5530 Printer, HP Envy 5540 Printer, HP Envy 7640 Printer, as well as HP Photosmart 7525 Printer.
How can I Fix HP Envy 4520 Printing Blank Pages?
Like certain models of HP Envy Printers, the 4520 model can engage in a situation that can affect its printing functions. This should not be considered as an issue that cannot be resolved. In the following part, we have outlined a few tips that will guide you in taking care of this printing problem.
Fix 1: Keep Your Device Clean Use Suitable Print Media
The users of the HP Envy 4520 Printer have sometimes reported that the device was printing blank pages. To curb the issue, we have prepared certain tips. These have been given as follows:
- Start your HP Envy 4520 Printer and verify the ink levels. Get new cartridges in case ink isn’t available.
- See to it that the settings are correct prior to printing your documents.
- Opt for cleaning the ink cartridges either with the help of the Control Panel or via the manual approach.
- Avoid using cartridges that don’t seem genuine.
- Ensure that the printhead of your HP printer is devoid of blockages or dried ink around the nozzle area.
- Always verify that the printing sheets and their size is supported by your device.
Reaching the End
HP printer models like 5530, 6520, 7640, etc., may produce blank printed pages. Faulty cartridges, blocked nozzles, incorrect installation of the cartridges, and other similar issues can result in a problem like this one. Simple fixes have been developed for this HP printer problem just like the ones mentioned here. By following these fixes, you can troubleshoot HP printer printing blank pages without any hassle. Keep our guide handy to fix this problem every time it occurs.
We hope you keep yourself engaged with our other informative blogs and learn with us the expert fixes for all kinds of HP printer problems. In case you are looking for the HP Printer offline fix or the best HP Printer troubleshooting guide, you can find help here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Responding to specific queries, we have prepared 3 frequently asked questions here. Going through these FAQs may answer your queries as well.
Your HP Envy Printer can print blank pages when its nozzles have become dried or clogged. The issue can also erupt when its ink cartridges are either low or empty.
If you’ve checked the estimated ink levels of your HP Officejet 4650 Printer, you may have found a lack of ink. As soon as you get the ink refilled or the cartridge replaced, the error of blank pages should stop occurring.
At times, when the users install cartridges in HP Photosmart 6520 Printer, they forget to remove the protective covering. This may be the culprit behind the issue of blank printed pages. You can take out the cartridges and remove the protective covering to fix the problem.