HP missing or failed printhead is one of the most common errors that users face while operating their HP printers. It generally occurs when the printhead is not properly positioned. The printhead is an important component of a printer that sprays the ink onto the paper. So the printhead takes the instructions from the computer, as it evaluates the intensity, the location, the amount of ink needed to be dropped onto the paper and moves horizontally, point to point, to those locations to write or print the content.
3 Methods to Fix HP Missing or Failed Printhead
HP missing or failed printhead error bars printing devices from functioning. To help you get rid of this problem, we have compiled a few solutions below.
Fix 1- Reset the Printing device
HP printhead missing issue generally occurs while replacing the old ink cartridge with a new one. As the printer gets old, an alignment problem occurs with the printhead component every time you change the ink cartridge. Moreover, your printer does not take any print command and displays an error – HP missing or failed printhead – on its control panel screen. Therefore, the purpose of rebooting an HP printer is to reconfigure the printhead back to its correct position. This is how you can reboot the printer:
- Turn on your HP printer and wait for it to remain idle and silent.
- Disconnect the power cord from the printer as well as your wall outlet.
- Wait for at least 1-2 minutes before you resume the operation.
- Now, connect all the cables with your printer as well as from the power source.
- Check your control panel’s display to see if the ‘HP printhead missing’ error is popped up or not.
Fix 2 – Realign the Printhead
The two ways to re-align the printhead have been given below:
Remove the Printhead
- Turn on your HP printer and access the exterior lid to open the cartridge door. You will notice that the printhead carriage will move to-and-fro in a horizontal position all the time.
- Unplug the power cord attached to the printing device. While unplugging, it will cease the movement of the printhead carriage. Also, unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Lift the cartridge handle and hold the printhead side. Now pull the printhead without removing it from the carriage.
Align the Printhead back to its Position
- Insert the printhead back to its carriage. Once you position the printhead, it will automatically snap into its place.
- Move the printhead left and right to see if the printhead is placed correctly into the cartridge.
- Lift the printhead’s latch down to make sure that it is properly closed and locked. Also, close the exterior lid to resume the printing task.
- Now plug the power cord to the printer as well as to the power source. Turn on the printer now and wait for it to remain idle and silent.
- If you continue to face the HP printer printhead missing error, proceed to the next solution.
Fix 3 – Replace with the New Printhead
If you have tried all the above-mentioned solutions and your printer still continues to face the HP missing or failed printhead error, then it is a time to replace the printhead. This is how you can do it:
Examine the Printhead’s warranty
If you have a faulty cartridge or printhead, check if it is under any warranty. To validate your warranty, check for the instruction on the HP Printer’s user manual guide. You can also visit the HP support website and navigate under the section ‘Printer and Page Yield Overview’ to validate the warranties for all the components and units.
Order a New Printhead
If your faulty printhead is under the warranty, you would be entitled to get a new printhead assembly kit. HP support also provides door-to-door technical assistance to provide all sorts of services related to your HP printer.
As we already discussed above that the HP missing or failed printhead problem arises in HP Inkjet, HP Officejet, and dot matrix models only, we have enlisted some HP printer models prone to HP printhead missing error.
HP Printer Models Prone to HP Printhead Missing Error
|HP Officejet 6500||HP Officejet 6600||HP Officejet Pro 6600|
|HP Officejet 6700 Premium||HP Officejet 7110||HP Officejet 7610|
|HP Officejet 7612||HP Officejet Pro 8600||HP Officejet Pro 8610|
|HP Officejet Pro 8620||HP Officejet Pro 8710|
|HP Photosmart 7520||HP Photosmart 7525|
Other HP Printer Models Printhead Issues Covered By us.
If you still continue to face missing or failed printhead error in any HP printing models, you can reach our 24*7 support desk line or you can also chat with our technical team. Feel free to drop a query or any concern, and we will strive to provide the best possible solution for your HP printer. Besides that, approach us for any other printer’s concern too such as how to set up a fax from HP printer, HP ink system failure among others.